Analysis Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox will never be a good player. He can't lead, can't mark the ball, offers nothing on the ground. He needs the ball kicked directly to him to compete which is sinful in how the game is played these days. He is clearly scared of contact and that won't be coached out of him. AFL clubs experimenting with tall American's will be something we look back on and laugh at in 15 years.

Cox will never be a good player. He can't lead, can't mark the ball, offers nothing on the ground. He needs the ball kicked directly to him to compete which is sinful in how the game is played these days. He is clearly scared of contact and that won't be coached out of him. AFL clubs experimenting with tall American's will be something we look back on and laugh at in 15 years.
I’m not waiting 15 years.

He has a career average of something like 2 marks per game.
Last night he tool 0 from something like 14 attempts.

Who in there right mind would make him a key pillar to build a forward line around when you look at the above numbers?

Cloke used to cop s**t but never delivered that kind of output, ever.
100%

I had him in my outs but I think Cox will play next week and it's probably the right call despite the absolute shocker he had.

No point planning a forward structure around him for an entire summer to only throw it out after one game.

Surely his marking can't be that bad again and to drop him now would only crush his confidence further.

Let's give him another chance and this time make sure we have plenty of players at his feet.;)

I had him in my outs but I think Cox will play next week and it's probably the right call despite the absolute shocker he had.

No point planning a forward structure around him for an entire summer to only throw it out after one game.

Surely his marking can't be that bad again and to drop him now would only crush his confidence further.

Let's give him another chance and this time make sure we have plenty of players at his feet.;)
I think Michael Christian may have other ideas on Cox playing next week.

What was Varcoe’s excuse?

I'm not exactly sure what position or role Varcoe is instructed to play but I think what they are asking of him is guaranteed to cause injury. They need to use his skill and line breaking more from the backline. Settle him in one position rather than be manic all over the ground. That's what it looks like to me anyway. Crisp panics too much and butches the ball and don't get me started on Adams ball use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not exactly sure what position or role Varcoe is instructed to play but I think what they are asking of him is guaranteed to cause injury. They need to use his skill and line breaking more from the backline. Settle him in one position rather than be manic all over the ground. That's what it looks like to me anyway. Crisp panics too much and butches the ball and don't get me started on Adams ball use.
Agreed.
Though, query on whether Varcoe is defensive-minded enough.
However, Varcoe>>>Crisp.
Adams? He’s a disappointment. Yes.

He was woeful yesterday, but I still have faith.
I will reassess after the next 4-5 weeks but for the time being my opinion is persevere.

4-5 weeks is a reasonable amount of time. He needs to clutch a few and be serviceable in some way otherwise this experiment hasn't worked.

The only reason he is in the team is because he is very very tall. He has no other strengths. Height is it. If he can't use his height to take a few grabs, bust open a few packs for our crumbers then things aren't going to improve. Yesterday most of our kick outs went to Cox. The Hawks had 4 around him and rebounded with ease. He is not a go to player especially in our defensive half. Neither is Grundy to be honest. Grundy should not be allowed anywhere near the defensive arc, especially receiving handballs in the square.

Paddy McCartin, St Kilda's number one draft pick has kicked 22 goals in 22 games. I don't have Cox's stats but he would be in double figures for goals kicked in less games. Not bad for a spud who has only played the game for three years.

Paddy McCartin, St Kilda's number one draft pick has kicked 22 goals in 22 games. I don't have Cox's stats but he would be in double figures for goals kicked in less games. Not bad for a spud who has only played the game for three years.

McCartin plays with presence though.
You can see he doesn't have fear and he can find the ball in a pack or on the lead.

He is also 21yrs old not 26.
Lets also not forget he has had a horror run with injury either.

It's like comparing Moore with Cox and trying to find evidence or arguments to suggest Cox even has a chance of being a better player.

It's lunacy.

McCartin plays with presence though.
You can see he doesn't have fear and he can find the ball in a pack or on the lead.

He is also 21yrs old not 26.
Lets also not forget he has had a horror run with injury either.

It's like comparing Moore with Cox and trying to find evidence or arguments to suggest Cox even has a chance of being a better player.

It's lunacy.
I didn't say he is a gun or better than McCartin but ridiculing Cox is pathetic.

I didn't say he is a gun or better than McCartin but ridiculing Cox is pathetic.

What's pathetic is his performance last night.
He even had the nerve last year to talk about his "options" coming off contract as if he had made it in the big time and was some kind of star.

I'm sorry but this experiment is a fallacy.

It wouldn't work in any universe.

It's why Derek Hine needed to go last year. He ***ed us again with this 3yr deal.

He was woeful yesterday, but I still have faith.
I will reassess after the next 4-5 weeks but for the time being my opinion is persevere.
tend to agree, although even if he isn't marking it at least he's bringing the ball to ground for our many small crumbing forwards.

When did Cox actually play as a forward tonight? I thought he played all over, where ever he wanted and never presented as a target up forward.

Looks like he got signed as a running hbf or wingman.

******* disgusted I am of how he was let do whatever he thought was a good idea tonight. Should have been played at FF f or 80% of the game tonight... instead he played 0%.

(apparently Cox is a running hbf!!?????????????)
At various times he was meant to provide relief for Grundy. That’s why he was up on the wings. He was meant to be the typical ruckman, mark on the wing, kick the ball out of defence down the line. The potato was so inept he couldn’t even take uncontested gimmes.
....he actually looked lost. He often meandered around because he followed no running pattern. Nor did he run to space and command the ball.
Moore needs to get his NTTAWWTy blonde arse back up to CHF, bring in McClarty @ FF, put Kirby and Fas at his feet, and put Reid down back @ CHB. HE HAS BEEN OUR BEST DEFENDER (....whenever fit) SINCE 2010!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back