Toast English Class is in. Welcome to the Dogs Tim English Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries aside I reckon this kid is a sure thing. Extremely clean with his disposal for such a big guy. Looks a top 5 ruck of the future.

Did he take any marks? I has hoping to see a couple but no. Looks like he could be a very very good player for us and showed a couple of glimpses that indicate we may have a beauty on our hands.

Some of English's handballs were elite

What I like most about him is when he worked his way into the match you could see he's a smart footballer. How good was that flick over his head in the marking contest (3 v 1) in which Bont should of finished a simple goal.

Some of English's handballs were elite

What I like most about him is when he worked his way into the match you could see he's a smart footballer. How good was that flick over his head in the marking contest (3 v 1) in which Bont should of finished a simple goal.
2 of our 3 ruckman are elite by hand.
Boyds that led to a goal in the last was poised.

I just love this bloke... he could become a real cult hero around the place.. he seems to have a gentleness about him too which makes him different..

I just love this bloke... he could become a real cult hero around the place.. he seems to have a gentleness about him too which makes him different..

Agreed.

Plenty of people around me yesterday commenting on how calm he seems to be when the pressure's on.

Thought he had a good first game, and may have kicked a goal if Umpire Meredith had got out of the way when Timmy looked set to mark about 30 metres out...:mad:

Last edited:
Tim did a few nice things and probably should have had a mark and an easy shot at goal if that shortarse umpire he tripped over had been in his field of vision.

However he really only showed glimpses and - apart from the decoy argument, on which I'll remain agnostic - he was probably our least effective player for the afternoon.

On that basis many of us (myself included) are saying he should drop out in favour of Cloke or Roberts or Cordy next match.

That may well be what happens but we shouldn't fall into the trap of thinking he will just have a similarly quiet game next start. He's the sort of kid that will learn and adjust quickly. If MC are game enough to leave him in the 22 I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a lot more influence. Although I suggested English should go out for Roberts in the Changes thread, I'm quietly hoping MC do give him his second game against Sydney in a fortnight.

I think he's an exciting prospect and I reckon he'll become a regular much sooner than many here are tipping.

English could be our secret weapon. He demands a tall go to him, so if he does nothing except move around wide on the wing or up forward he can cause a mismatch or drag a player away from the contest.

There is much for him to learn about where to go to, but if we look at what he can do and not at what he can't, then getting games into him now should speed up his development (as it has been for the likes of Webb and Dale).

I think we need to see if he gets lost consistently or shows he can learn from each game. Can he fit in with our system or will he impede it? Can we afford to carry him while he develops?

I hope we take the risk and he gets a block of time but team balance may dictate otherwise.

I for one welcome our new insect overlord

Praying_mantis_india.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happens to Trengove/Roughy/Toyd?
Trengove may need to spend next pre-season preparing himself as a KPD to partner Naughton and Cordy.
Adams is a bonus if he ever gets onto the park and even then we probably have toi play him as a leading forward.

English as first ruck, swapping with Roughy until Boyd bangs the door down and demands a spot. Ditto Schache.

Boyd needs to earn his spot and we have no tall forwards so I'm happy to run with the triple ruck combo all year. Odds are that one or more of the three will get injured at some point so Boyd will get a chance. Based on todays game I think English is comfortably ahead of Boyd.

English is ahead of Boyd, so bring Boyd in and leave him in the goal square FFS. We are crying out for a key forward yet our best option to develop into one spends more time playing ruck. Rather see English given the bulk of the ruck work, he was promising today, only thing that will get him at times is his size compared to some more senior ruckman

For a skinny bean pole he took a few nice grabs, yet our bigger guys can barely get one :rolleyes: Even Naughton looks decent in that area. Its sad when our two skinniest tall's are out marking our bigger players

What a good game today, his mobility suits the modern day ruckman. Won a few nice hit outs and took a couple of nice contested grabs. We are two years off being a consistent contender, so hope we persist with him in the squad

English is ahead of Boyd, so bring Boyd in and leave him in the goal square FFS. We are crying out for a key forward yet our best option to develop into one spends more time playing ruck. Rather see English given the bulk of the ruck work, he was promising today, only thing that will get him at times is his size compared to some more senior ruckman
Boyd can't mark the ball on the lead. Until he can actually take a mark as a leading forward I don't know where he fits in.

Trengove may need to spend next pre-season preparing himself as a KPD to partner Naughton and Cordy.
Adams is a bonus if he ever gets onto the park and even then we probably have toi play him as a leading forward.

English as first ruck, swapping with Roughy until Boyd bangs the door down and demands a spot. Ditto Schache.
Agree. Our rucks were beaten today despite having three having a go. We know Trengove is not a forward. Swing him back and develop English and Boyd when he’s ready.

Boyd can't mark the ball on the lead. Until he can actually take a mark as a leading forward I don't know where he fits in.
Agree on that entirely. But a good coach told me once during a drill, if you do something 1000 times repeatedly it will become natural to you and you will be better and good at it. Boyd's weaknesses will not improve is he isn't exposed to them often enough to improve. A forward line player requires leading and pack making abilities more so than everywhere else around the ground. When it feels like Boyd spends the majority of the time as a Ruck, it takes away from that development as a forward. We can't truly judge him/makes it hard to do so when he is not played there much. Would like to see us persist for a whole season with him primarily as a forward. Let English and Roughead deal with the ruck work, not like Boyd is miles ahead of either as a ruck. English showed enough today that when he puts on size he will be more than serviceable as a ruck. Our window isn't wide open at the moment, id persist with development over chasing a flag we are a few holes off filling yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back