Is Hugh Dixon our Next Pav?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough.

Though Hipwood spent half a season developing before debuting.

Curnow debuted early but then injury/illness saw him only play 4 games early and then a couple late.

I'd rather the Hipwood path, prove it at Peel and then force your way in.

Yeah look under normal circumstances I would agree, but these are dire times. He comes in, so what if he gets beat up and dropped after 2 or 3 games, the knowledge, the hunger to get better, that would come from those games would be invaluable in his development!

The comment "when you know, you know" was absolutely tongue in cheek, but sometimes its rings true!

Unless you find a Chris Judd, there is nothing like having a young, gun key forward!

Some of his peers are already completing successful at AFL level..do we take a gamble on him this early?

Well it would be a gamble, but these are the times when we should be taking them. In 3 years time, when most believe we should be challenging again it's going to be hard to get a gig, especially when you are a 21yo KPF under RTB!!!

If Gold Coast leave the birth certificates at home, than we should leave or pay packets with the wife!

+1 to give him a debut this season - was thinking next year until having seen him play for Peel

+1 let's not compare him to Pav yet please. (thread title change?)

gpdKg.gif

+1 to give him a debut this season - was thinking next year until having seen him play for Peel

+1 let's not compare him to Pav yet please. (thread title change?)
Pav kicked 2 goals in his first AFL game as an 18 year old. Would be interesting to see how Hugh went, even if he only played for a quarter.

Pav kicked 2 goals in his first AFL game as an 18 year old. Would be interesting to see how Hugh went, even if he only played for a quarter.

It will be interesting to see how Hugh goes ... starting at Peel. Look if he regularly kicks goals for Peel, he will play AFL. Its not like we have a bunch of established tall forwards whose goal production will keep him out.
But -- and this is the same for all the "recent hires" -- if you can't do it at Peel, it won't magically happen at AFL level. So we need to see some kind of consistent performance first.

Seriously people lets pump the brakes on this in the short term. You are talking about a 19y/o coming off a back injury who has only been out of the rehab group for a few weeks. This is his first pre season ever not just in the Afl but including his time at kingborough. He has ability in bucket loads and a lot of good judges rate him the best key forward to come out of the draft. But at this early stage the transition game would see him get run ragged and exposed big time
I believe he will play seniors this year I just think a more measured approach is required and the pay off could be handsome

It will be interesting to see how Hugh goes ... starting at Peel. Look if he regularly kicks goals for Peel, he will play AFL. Its not like we have a bunch of established tall forwards whose goal production will keep him out.
But -- and this is the same for all the "recent hires" -- if you can't do it at Peel, it won't magically happen at AFL level. So we need to see some kind of consistent performance first.
I hear what you are saying, but Brayshaw seems to have been elevated to the senior team almost straight away, so why does it apply to some but not others?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to have a genuine KPF prospect developing in the wings.
Don't think anyone could seriously suggest a debut is imminent given he's only just come out of the rehab group and played 1 WAFL game.
You'd imagine he'll be out there at some stage this season though.
Also hope that the Royal Apeness gets an injury free run at his career too.

Looks the best leading forward we've had in a long time. Can also take a contested grab but not a pack marker from what I have seen. Most excitingly I've seen plenty of midfield level skills already - he's creative. He always looks lackadaisical but he plays smart and appears to have a bit of explosive pace to get separation. Long term prospect but probably the only player on our list that can fill that gap in between what Tabs and McCarthy bring.

I am a new Fremantle supporter, predominantly because of Hugh Dixon being recruited to the club. I have watched him develop over time, know him and his family, and support Kingborough, the club where he played in Tasmania.

Let's start with Fremantle and my perspective as a "new" supporter. We are one game into the season. We have played a decent side on their home ground and been flogged. There will be better sides than us that do worse this year against them at home. We are going through a rebuild, and while that is not an excuse for poor performance and intensity, it is a simple fact that when you have turned over nearly 25% of your players in one year, and have so many inexperienced and immature players not ready for the rigours of AFL it puts pressure on the remainder of the list. I should add here that we also turned over significant numbers in 2017, and that Bennel, is not available. Just that one person with some experience and above average ability can make a difference to a side like ours that is going though change and whose results will be driven largely by confidence, belief and emotion. When that is the case, you have to expect inconsistency, bad performances and on the positive side, some good performances. We have copped a bad one first up, and we may cop another 5 before we see a good one, who knows. That is just where we are. Not great for the short term, not great for committed, loyal, expecting, fans, but its reality. Short term pain, long term gain, a reality of football and life in general.

Hugh Dixon. I believe in the kid as much as anyone. He has the natural ability to be a top notch AFL footballer. As I have said on this site previously, I believe Fremantle recruited a gem. Do I think that he is ready to play AFL seniors - definitely not. As someone said, he is 3 weeks out of the rehab group, and his base fitness would be nowhere near what is required to play AFL. The last thing you want to be doing with someone like Hugh Dixon is throw him to the wolves, and risk what he will become in the future with a more rational and strategic approach. HD is a key forward, that is learning his craft and still finding his way in a new state, with a new club, new team mates, new expectations and a whole new life. I see absolutely zero advantage to him, the club or us at supporters, playing him in a side that performed like they did on Saturday, and are going through a rebuild which means the results will fluctuate as I described above. People like HD are the keys to our real goal, winning a premiership when the window opens in the future, and the next few times it opens after that. He is way too important to risk in the short term. Better to just remember what we have developing in the background, ready to produce when the time i really right. It helps me get through the short term pain, that is for sure.

The main question is whether he will develop better from within the best 22 or the wafl. For now that is the wafl, then a taste of the 22, then likely some more wafl time.

The main question is whether he will develop better from within the best 22 or the wafl. For now that is the wafl, then a taste of the 22, then likely some more wafl time.
He will get a lot more supply at Peel than he will at Freo. He will have better defenders on him in WAFL at some point to test him. I can see us debuting him this season potentially but just to give a taste. Kid does look a gun, no need to bring him in until we have other issues under control.

There are 2 questions that needed answered positively before he is debuted
1) is his tank big enough for AFL
2) is his body developed enough for AFL

I would argue the answer is no on both accounts.

Develop him at Peel and if his talent proves as prolific as suggested then get him a great mentor to develop his game

I'd like to see Dixon get a go in the main team some time this season (if he has earned it), just so he knows what's required. As mentioned above by others, it might be better for the young guy if Freo sorted out our forward line structure, team work, kicking and decision-making before we introduce a predominantly leading forward into the team. Bombing away aimlessly is not going to benefit his development. He is a smart footballer though, so he could probably think his was through some of our chaos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back