NIIIICEEE GARRRYY.. Ehh maybe not that nice, did we just watch Lyon's last test?

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
But for O'Keefe's unfortunate timing with injury the OP could well have been correct. It's a bit of a sliding doors tale.

Lyon is only 29 even if he had got dumped i would have backed him to play tests again, they have axed him twice already when he was averaging low 30's which gives you an idea about the expectations placed on our spinners post warne.

o keefe agar or whoever the minute people find out these blokes weren't going to roll teams on flat aussie decks then the knives would be out for them so after they tried 5 or 6 more spinners they would likely have given lyon another crack.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hes a much better bowler than years ago but why he isn't bowling over the wicket is beyond me. He's fighting against his own angle which is ridiculous when he is getting so much spin.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Hes a much better bowler than years ago but why he isn't bowling over the wicket is beyond me. He's fighting against his own angle which is ridiculous when he is getting so much spin.
He flights the ball more bowling around the wicket, which gives him more revolutions on the ball. Over the wicket he tends to force it, and actually gets little turn, plus, it’s easy for batsmen to bat to over the wicket

Apr 1, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Indies
who made this thread?
64YKXY8ipQAUkyXtugN4u_bsRc9IsQYUFjrfJQ6h1OB4oV3Xwe_Zfc5aew8dRQAHT_BCwysJ6aZ0oOdePuChitZRMbpaSQqioL3RBVTyYl8J0RhxYnRwLtBuD5JljIDch_oBnuYdocHzKVAjYtVFKLE=w498-h279-nc

If Nathan Lyon had a tail itd be up round his head right now

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Weird one. Bowled beautifully first innings and got nothing.

2nd innings was bowling stock standard and (could've been tonked) but Stoneham and Malan poked and prodded and there you go.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
lyons day 1 bowling ready did turn out to be vital, the quicks just didn't look right early on but lyon looked a real threat and kept it so tight, if england had been able to score at a decent rate of him we would have lost control on day 1.

Where can he end up from here?
10th highest wicket taker for spinners (283) and is only 30. How many more years left?

Only Herath (39) and Ashwin (31) are still active. Can he pass Vettori on 362? Can he get to Herath (409) and Harbhajan (416).
If he can get to 350+ wickets that'd be a fine career for the former groundsman.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
He can take 400 for sure as offies often get better with age, i think swann was only a few months younger than lyon when he made his debut and he took 250 in 5-6 years after that so hopefully lyon has plenty left in him.

Apr 18, 2011
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely some consideration must be given to nicknaming Garry Lyon Nathan? They've left poor Rossie floundering in 3rd place on the most famous Lyon list.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Where can he end up from here?
10th highest wicket taker for spinners (283) and is only 30. How many more years left?

Only Herath (39) and Ashwin (31) are still active. Can he pass Vettori on 362? Can he get to Herath (409) and Harbhajan (416).
If he can get to 350+ wickets that'd be a fine career for the former groundsman.

I’m thinking somewhere between 400-450.

500 if he avoids injury

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Recent behaviour notwithstanding, well done on 300 Test wickets.

Definitely more than anybody here would have expected him to get when he debuted in 2011.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Recent behaviour notwithstanding, well done on 300 Test wickets.

Definitely more than anybody here would have expected him to get when he debuted in 2011.

Yes def great effort.

Was he involved? Seems conclusive that Starc and hazelwood werent. Bet their wrapped with Smithy for implicating the ‘leadership’ group.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Yes def great effort.

Was he involved? Seems conclusive that Starc and hazelwood werent. Bet their wrapped with Smithy for implicating the ‘leadership’ group.

I was referring to the incident RE ABdV.

There's no evidence that he was involved in the ball-tampering fracas.

I was referring to the incident RE ABdV.

There's no evidence that he was involved in the ball-tampering fracas.

I’m giving him full benefit of the doubt of a brain fade for the AB dropping the ball. I’ve done similar daft s**t and regretted it instantly in the past. Not one month ago, I attempted a mankad in a fit of “plumb LBW not given” rage. Wasn’t a good feeling at the top of the mark next ball!

Back