Radiohead 50-1

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
The below would be some of my go to/most played Radiohead songs over the years in no particular order. Pretty hard to favourite when they have so many good ones.
Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong, Pyramid Song, You and Whose Army, Exit Music (For a Film), You, Airbag, Faust Arp, Morning Bell (Kid A), Everything in it's Right Place, Lucky, Dollars and Cents, No Surprises, Talk Show Host, Bishop's Robe, Karma Police, Street Spirit (Fade Out) and Climbing Up the Walls, (also like the zero 7 remix of this) and Planet Telex (depth charge mix). probably forgetting a bunch. great band.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Let's travel to 2006!

Love this version of '4 Minute Warning!'
Those effects from Jonny, wow! Wish he kept them in the studio version.

Acoustic version of Bodysnatchers!

Spooks!

Back in 2006 (Year 12 for me), I watched these tour versions dozens of times. Several studio versions were very different in the end. So nostalgic! And Youtube was still a newish thing. I remember spending hours fantasising over LP7 tracklists.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Of all the songs on that second disc that were clearly 'we can't nail these, we've been trying to nail these... some for 10 years' vibe on the In Rainbows CD2, I always thought 4 Minute Warning was perfect. That version up there is a bit too airy and optimistic and it's kidding itself because the song is depressing. It's about dying in nuclear attack. It has a cool, chilly guitar effect in there toward the end but that's all it needs.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Yep, 4 Minute Warning and Down is the New Up were two omissions which I was cool with. Was never all that crazy about them at the time, based on the versions that were available.

In Rainbows is a weird album, in that I adore it, but it was also the most interactively awaited album of my life, so you have the stunning album running parallel to alternate version ideation. This is unavoidable at times, but attempted to stay clear of this ever since and treat releases more soberly and freshly.

Fun to think about these things later on with deluxe reissues and the like, but at the time I'd rather just enjoy the studio release as just that.

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep, 4 Minute Warning and Down is the New Up were two omissions which I was cool with. Was never all that crazy about them at the time, based on the versions that were available.

In Rainbows is a weird album, in that I adore it, but it was also the most interactively awaited album of my life, so you have the stunning album running parallel to alternate version ideation. This is unavoidable at times, but attempted to stay clear of this ever since and treat releases more soberly and freshly.

Fun to think about these things later on with deluxe reissues and the like, but at the time I'd rather just enjoy the studio release as just that.
I don't think Nigel Godrich is an especially smart mixer. A lot songs sound very very flat and unremarkable and like you're waiting for a pop.

I got into Radiohead majorly just after In Rainbows was released so I didn't have to go through the live bootleg thing, but the butchering of Identikit from their greatest ever drum line to some stuttery ehhh that made it a filler sound is so disappointing. Sometimes I love Present Tense and sometimes I just think it's a nice riff, opening verse, and chorus and then after that it's just lackadaisical songwriting and over production filling in its voids.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
Sorry guys, from here on out until the top 10 I am just going to post the songs in order, and not include the write up. I really over-estimated my time and motivation to do this countdown.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
#30 Identikit

This one was really difficult. If they had have kept it similar to their live version circa 2012 it very well may have been a top 10 song. The final version they recorded is still good but pales in comparison.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Me too. I actually think they fixed up Ful Stop and Identikit on AMSP (or at least found a good version out of it). They never really clicked with me on tour, the studio versions exceeded expectations.

Back