Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Adelaide cult thing reminds me of a school excursion I went on many moons ago.

No one knew exactly where we were going except there were murmurs from the year level above that they would 'make us cry'. Turns out we were going to a session at Jim Stynes' Reach foundation in this weird warehouse in Abbotsford, and they did indeed, attempt with some success to make us cry. They spent the better part of 5 hours breaking us down, telling us how s**t we were and making us picture our own funeral. Bizarre day.
i don't know why I spend time working hard when I could just come up with some batshit crazy idea and brand it as "building mental resilience" that will improve your "culture" and then ship it around to elite australian sporting clubs, who seem to be filled with the most desperate people on earth who will spend thousands of dollar on literally anything

I'll give you one. I will sit you down in a dark room tied to a chair and make you all watch the 2nd quarter of the elimination final last year for 24 hours on 100 inch 4k high def TV with a 400 watt sound bar.

On another note, I found the commentary of BT and the rest of the cast pretty distasteful when it came to ridiculing the guys on our eSports team. What sort of standard does that set to the kids that are watching the game? They have a basic responsibility to their national audience.

It was cringeworthy to see grown adults acting like high school bullies when they are supposed to set the standard.

On another note, I found the commentary of BT and the rest of the cast pretty distasteful when it came to ridiculing the guys on our eSports team. What sort of standard does that set to the kids that are watching the game? They have a basic responsibility to their national audience.

It was cringeworthy to see grown adults acting like high school bullies when they are supposed to set the standard.
It is unfortunate that I don’t expect better. The standard is shitful.

i don't know why I spend time working hard when I could just come up with some batshit crazy idea and brand it as "building mental resilience" that will improve your "culture" and then ship it around to elite australian sporting clubs, who seem to be filled with the most desperate people on earth who will spend thousands of dollar on literally anything
Pretty much this. There’s got to be some duty of care somewhere along the way though. Players cede a lot of responsibility for their wellbeing to clubs when they’re drafted. Clubs aren’t responsible for what people do in their own time but they are responsible for providing a safe environment and I don’t think they have in this case. No better than injecting them with who knows what, it’s still negligence and/or abuse.

Was a bit dickish but reasonably mild

Was a bit dickish but reasonably mild
Look to be honest, when it comes to things like bullying, I wouldn't take it to be mild. We know how it can affect people. It was basically lets point out the nerds and laugh at them. The eSports guys wouldn't have liked to see that, nor would their family and friends.

We shouldn't be seeing that type of stuff.

The Adelaide cult thing reminds me of a school excursion I went on many moons ago.

No one knew exactly where we were going except there were murmurs from the year level above that they would 'make us cry'. Turns out we were going to a session at Jim Stynes' Reach foundation in this weird warehouse in Abbotsford, and they did indeed, attempt with some success to make us cry. They spent the better part of 5 hours breaking us down, telling us how s**t we were and making us picture our own funeral. Bizarre day.
WTF?

Did you go to school in 1976 Moscow?

Look to be honest, when it comes to things like bullying, I wouldn't take it to be mild. We know how it can affect people. It was basically lets point out the nerds and laugh at them. The eSports guys wouldn't have liked to see that, nor would their family and friends.

We shouldn't be seeing that type of stuff.
I see your point, but personally I found BT’s commentary generally just exposed his own ignorance and ineptitude, as he is wont to do with startling regularity on far too many occasions.

Fancy having a job as a commentator, doing enough research to know they existed but not enough to know who was who, how to pronounce their names, what the name of the game and team are (hint: team is “bombers” game is “league of legends”, not the other way around) or what their roles/positions are in the team – it is probably expecting far too much for him to know which player plays which role. Like I don’t even know why he bothered pointing them out or attempting to interview them when he clearly had no clue what he was on about - something which is evident regardless of whether he’s interviewing an eSports player or an AFL one (interviewing Conor’s relatives was another example).

I liked the comment (I think by Richo) saying “gaming has come a long way since you played space invaders BT”... and there was another moment when someone (I think also Richo?) evidently had the research in front of him was pointing out and naming the members of the team during the call when they spotted them in the crowd as well. Not just “haw haw nerds”, but “this one is Looch, next to him is Seb and that one is Rosey”.

Generally BT did what BT does and made a fool of himself, complete with a total lack of self-awareness.

The other thing I noticed about that interview was it was very ad hoc. Club could’ve capitalised on it and had someone else from the club there to show them around and fend off some questions from BT.

Where was the bloody ball tampering scandal when we needed it 4 years ago??

Could have beed 2 darkest days in Australian sport in a row - with only this one of course being real and actually living up to that statement

did you get a reward at the end?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stupid ****in camps. The next frontier.

If these clubs could put the same effort in and improve their goalkicking by 10-15% they’d win more games of football in a season than some stupid ****in camp will give them in a decade.

How’s that for a new frontier

Surprised Roo has bought into this s**t. All this mentally breaking down people, having recently watched Unabomber, sometimes that sort of stuff doesn't play out that well long-term, go figure...

I see your point, but personally I found BT’s commentary generally just exposed his own ignorance and ineptitude, as he is wont to do with startling regularity on far too many occasions.

Fancy having a job as a commentator, doing enough research to know they existed but not enough to know who was who, how to pronounce their names, what the name of the game and team are (hint: team is “bombers” game is “league of legends”, not the other way around) or what their roles/positions are in the team – it is probably expecting far too much for him to know which player plays which role. Like I don’t even know why he bothered pointing them out or attempting to interview them when he clearly had no clue what he was on about - something which is evident regardless of whether he’s interviewing an eSports player or an AFL one (interviewing Conor’s relatives was another example).

I liked the comment (I think by Richo) saying “gaming has come a long way since you played space invaders BT”... and there was another moment when someone (I think also Richo?) evidently had the research in front of him was pointing out and naming the members of the team during the call when they spotted them in the crowd as well. Not just “haw haw nerds”, but “this one is Looch, next to him is Seb and that one is Rosey”.

Generally BT did what BT does and made a fool of himself, complete with a total lack of self-awareness.

The other thing I noticed about that interview was it was very ad hoc. Club could’ve capitalised on it and had someone else from the club there to show them around and fend off some questions from BT.

BT knows who they are, he’s met them, watched them play and knows enough about LOL to converse with them. His commentary on Friday night and pretend ignorance was more for the general Australian football fan who would view them as nerds, it was his subtle way of getting them into the spotlight. Good on him for giving them some air time.

Watch it again with the view that BT actually does know them and you will be surprised. I am not saying I agree with everything he said but I understand it.

The giant fat twat doesn’t realise how behind the times he is. Those boys are earning amazing coin playing games ffs. BT makes his by being a humourless prick.

The giant fat twat doesn’t realise how behind the times he is. Those boys are earning amazing coin playing games ffs. BT makes his by being a humourless prick.

I don't mind anything he said really (its ok from a banter point of view if it was just him and them, they would cop worse online), if it wasn't beamed into the homes of families with young kids. It just strengthens the nasty stereotypes of people that play video games and that it is ok to mock them.
A lot of those kids have a hard enough time at school already we don't need to show it as funny by grown men doing it on TV. So while Im sure most gamers run across and throw out worse while gaming than what BT said, it does throw the wrong message to younger people, and sadly older people.

The stupid thing is if you panned across the crowd they looked like some of the more normal people there. Then they cut to your "regular footy fan" with the mullet that they go and celebrate.
Hell we had Rance running around playing Pokémon last year, be interesting if BT had anything to say to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back