Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling Eddie Betts might hit a wall quite quickly this year. He seems to have lost something compared to last year.

He gave off quite a few gettable shots, but that ‘magic’ hasn’t been on show for a while now. Latter part of last season included.

Hopefully it’s just a down patch because he’s brilliant to watch when he’s playing well.

I mean surely Gallucci could get a game ahead of him! I swear to god, Mackay is my new footballing hero, to be so s**t, yet play so many games
He is one of Crows supporters' biggest whipping boys, without doubt.

I do not understand the level of angst directed toward Rance.

He's a brilliant key defender.

Jenkins is explosive at 200cm and 110kgs. A player like him is going to get hold of any key defender. The surprising thing is that Jenkins hasn't done it more often.

David Hale took Matthew Scarlett to the cleaners on a few occasions, including kicking 8 once, and yet it doesn't appear to have done Scarlett's reputation any damage. I guess that's because Geelong fans aren't as annoying as Richmond fans?

Jenkins is explosive at 200cm and 110kgs. A player like him is going to get hold of any key defender. The surprising thing is that Jenkins hasn't done it more often.

David Hale took Matthew Scarlett to the cleaners on a few occasions, including kicking 8 once, and yet it doesn't appear to have done Scarlett's reputation any damage. I guess that's because Geelong fans aren't as annoying as Richmond fans?
I'm going to say, with regard to Essendon fans, it's also because Rance is the one in the way of Hurley being considered the best KPD in the league.

Some of the carry on about him is pretty amusing. Reminds me of the manner certain other supporter bases deride a couple of our players at the smallest little opening actually.

yeah, i dont get it.
Admittedly, i thought he was a touch overrated (greatest defender of all time and such), but he is clearly the best in the comp.
There are better one on one defenders and better rebound defenders, but none with the complete game he has, or his ability to read the ball and generally intercept it or stop an attack.

Quite deserving to be rated ahead of Hurley, esp after their 2017 outputs.

I'm going to say, with regard to Essendon fans, it's also because Rance is the one in the way of Hurley being considered the best KPD in the league.

Some of the carry on about him is pretty amusing. Reminds me of the manner certain other supporter bases deride a couple of our players at the smallest little opening actually.
Mine is actually different to the Hurley one.

My problem with him is that we had a bloke called Fletcher do the exact same thing Rance is doing now for 200 games but never got recognition and in fact was derided because he didn't "take the best forward" but instead peeled off and was a brilliant 3rd man/defensive general.

Yet here we are with Rance playing the exact same ******* role and the football media bang on about how he's a superstar who's revolutionized defence and it doesn't matter he doesn't take the key forward.

******* load of s**t.

Especially since the first 200 games he was playing the best forward. He changed roles to adapt, he didn't do it his whole career because he'd get toweled up one on one like Alex ******* Rance does everytime he's left to be accountable to a man.

My problem with him is that we had a bloke called Fletcher do the exact same thing Rance is doing now for 200 games but never got recognition and in fact was derided because he didn't "take the best forward" but instead peeled off and was a brilliant 3rd man/defensive general.

Yet here we are with Rance playing the exact same ******* role and the football media bang on about how he's a superstar who's revolutionized defence and it doesn't matter he doesn't take the key forward.

******* load of s**t.

Especially since the first 200 games he was playing the best forward. He changed roles to adapt, he didn't do it his whole career because he'd get toweled up one on one like Alex ******* Rance does everytime he's left to be accountable to a man.

Fletcher could take contested marks?

I had a completely different perception. I thought that in the last few years the applause for Fletcher for just getting onto the field was over the top and nauseating.

Fletcher could take contested marks?

I had a completely different perception. I thought that in the last few years the applause for Fletcher for just getting onto the field was over the top and nauseating.
Fair enough. I disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

******* load of s**t.

And Fletch was better at it.
Rance is currently the best defender in the league.
But he wouldn't make a top 5 list of the AFL era, let alone those who remember pre-AFL days better than i do

Rance is without a doubt the best defender in the game.

However, I do think that he gets away with holding quite a bit

******* load of s**t.

Also remember the stat a few years back that Fletcher was rated #1 for kick ins that resulted in goals.

As Bruce says ' Rance he does it soooo well ', half the time he hasn't even got to the contest or he's tripped over and head butted the ball.
I think he's a great defender and good to watch but all this 'best defender of all time bullshit' is just that.

I think people putting it down to bitterness or jealousy or whatever accusation of small mindedness are maybe missing the point a bit, or oversimplifying it.

I don't think anyone's saying rance isn't a brilliant defender - he is. But he's been one for what, 3 or 4 seasons so far? For me personally, and I imagine a lot of others, it's the ridiculous hyperbolising that gives people the shits. GOAT? give me a spell.

More than anything I think peoples negative reactions are a result of the gutter scraping standards of broadcasting and commentary that we're stuck with. There's nothing but a mix of sycophants and under-researched/ill informed idiots calling games with a painful lack of clear, level headed analysis and calling backed up by, you know, actual research and knowledge.

I highly doubt you'd have people trying to over-correct and heap s**t on players like rance, rioli, stringer, and whoever Bruce and BT's new love affairs are if they weren't jerked off over to the extent that they have been in the first place.

I have a feeling Eddie Betts might hit a wall quite quickly this year. He seems to have lost something compared to last year.
It happened middle of last year. I was shocked he got a three year extension.

Rance suffers what I call Cyril-syndrome. He is an excellent player, and should be acknowledged as such. But he gets ridiculously over hyped in everything he does. I've seen commentators say stuff like "OHH ONLY ALEX RANCE CAN DO THAT!" for basic defensive skills that any AFL standard defender can do, or something an opposition player had done not 5 minutes prior. This leads to cynics saying that he's way too over hyped.

I mean, seriously. Bruce for the last 21 months or so has been spewing on about "he'd be the first player picked if you were building a team". No. He wouldn't be. You'd start with one of Hipwood, Daniher, Cameron, Patton, Lynch or Hogan IMO. An 8-12 year gun key forward. Then you'd go with someone similar in defence, say Jeremy McGovern, who has a long time left. And then you'd go an Oliver/Wines/Kelly/Bont type in the middle. AFTER that you probably go someone like Rance or Hurley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back