Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It needs work, feels like a giant industrial park, not a destination for fun or food/drink

That is Docklands in general.

Fact is the MCG is surrounded by hectares of parkland and Docklands is surrounded by hectares of office buildings.

Other than that they are exactly the same. MCG can only support businesses when there is an event on and Docklands can only support businesses when there is an event on. Thanks to the office buildings there is a hell of a lot more at Docklands than there is at the MCG notwithstanding it is pretty sterile. But everything new is sterile - chadstone, docklands, even fed square is pretty hard.

My main gripe with Docklands is the congestion caused by the buildings directly outside and the single bridge past the railway station. That is a huge problem but the mistake occurred at planning stage and is not going to be undone now.

Surprisingly I had never noticed until I saw this picture, but a lot has happened at Docklands in the past 10 years, this is Docklands in 2008, it looks much better now.
1200px-Telstra_Dome_08.jpg

So yeah, I've got faith that with time the area will be better, and that it is a lot better than what it was 10 years ago.

Surprisingly I had never noticed until I saw this picture, but a lot has happened at Docklands in the past 10 years, this is Docklands in 2008, it looks much better now.
1200px-Telstra_Dome_08.jpg

So yeah, I've got faith that with time the area will be better, and that it is a lot better than what it was 10 years ago.
As the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day. :)

The AFL's Vic. govt. pitch is that the $300,000,000 revamp to the external areas of DS is designed to create for the Docklands area a 365 day pa tourist mecca (which would generate significant economic activity, & major tourist funds for Vic.). This would also give a boost to other current retail businesses in the area (which, generally have closed/suffered), if big crowds can be regularly be drawn to Docklands' area.
AFL's T Auld said the Docklands area is an asset for the whole state, not just the AFL. It should not be an either/or situation re Vic. govt. funding for DS AND facilities for GR sport. IIRC, there has been provided to the Vic. govt., by the AFL, an indep. business case/ROI justifying the $300,000,000.

The original Docklands' plan was to capitalise on its water/harbour views, & make it a 365 pa tourist area. This plan has been a failure, as after 7 pm M-F, & on weekends, it is quiet (but it has been very successful as a high rise residential area, and for establishing company offices there).

www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-04/afl-keen-to-work-with-libs-labor-on-etihad-revamp

In reality, Vic. state govts. have invested relatively little funding into the AFL -cf. the vast majority of the MCG & DS funding coming from the private sector, and the AFL itself.
The biggest Vic. govt funding has gone into building AAMI Park c. $280,000,000; the F1 Albert Park sponsorship, increasingly expensive track set up & expenses etc. -averaging $30,000,000 pa?; & Melb. Park Tennis complex -$540,000,000+
You forgot to mention:

$190 million invested at GMHBA Stadium in Geelong so far with another $80 million tipped to be announced before the State Election:

simonds-stadium-stage-4.jpg

$22 million invested at Ballarat so far with a likely $20 million likely to be announced for Stage 2 of Mars Stadium before the election:

mars-stadium-1.jpg

On top of this, the Andrews State Government have spent large amounts of moneys for other sports facilities beyond AFL arenas around the state including some $270 million in regional areas to rebuild ovals, club pavillions, and installation of lighting at ovals, fields and courts with some of the bigger single projects including:
  • Bendigo has recieved $24 million to rebuild their Basketball Stadium into a 4000 capacity arena
  • Ballarat $15 million for its new Basketball/Netball complex
  • Werribee $20 million for its new Basketball complex and a similar sum for Frankston
  • The Junction Oval has had $70 million spent redeveloping it into a state the art cricket hub and home to Cricket Victoria
The other side of politics in Victoria are proposing to cut spending on redevelopment of major grounds and facilities and to spread the money across what they call 'The Grass Roots'. They haven't defined what this 'Grass Roots' is, but we are to believe that hundreds of millions of dollars will be granted to all sports clubs and codes across Victoria? Yeah right!!! It seems that the present government have already been doing just that! In Ballarat alone, in the last six years eight of the city's major ovals have been rebuilt to AFL playing standard with professional grade lighting installed. Each of those ovals have had pavillions upgraded or rebuilt. Other sports codes haven't been forgotten either with bowling clubs getting greens rebuilt, tennis and netball courts resurfaced, and there is a definite plan from the government in its recent stadia redevelopment and management plan to prioritise funding toward sports clubs and facilities where there are male and female users.

Roogal what exactly will Stage 2 of the Mars Stadium upgrade be?
That hasn't been defined yet. If I was a betting person I would say that it will involve construction of another 5000 undercover seats and upgrading of the lighting to AFL non-televised grade.

The other side of politics in Victoria are proposing to cut spending on redevelopment of major grounds and facilities and to spread the money across what they call 'The Grass Roots'. They haven't defined what this 'Grass Roots' is, but we are to believe that hundreds of millions of dollars will be granted to all sports clubs and codes across Victoria? Yeah right!!! It seems that the present government have already been doing just that! In Ballarat alone, in the last six years eight of the city's major ovals have been rebuilt to AFL playing standard with professional grade lighting installed. Each of those ovals have had pavillions upgraded or rebuilt. Other sports codes haven't been forgotten either with bowling clubs getting greens rebuilt, tennis and netball courts resurfaced, and there is a definite plan from the government in its recent stadia redevelopment and management plan to prioritise funding toward sports clubs and facilities where there are male and female users.

That all sounds good but it doesn't negate the fact that an extra $300m would be better off spent at the community level as opposed to some unspecified development at Docklands.

That all sounds good but it doesn't negate the fact that an extra $300m would be better off spent at the community level as opposed to some unspecified development at Docklands.
No the other side of politics are advocating no spending on large stadia and directing all monies across every sporting club and group. So yes the Upper-Umbucktukka West Under 16s will get new balls, jumpers and even perhaps new change rooms and the major stadiums in Melbourne and Geelong will be left just as they are today. But then again this all sounds familiar, the last Liberal Government (the Baillieu and Napthine Governments) in Victoria spent an entire four years achieving nothing, building nothing, and doing stuff all! But at least Guy Matthews (the Premier wanna-be) as Minister for Planning between 2010-14 spent his time constantly overulling the Melbourne City Council and approving construction of 300-400 metre tall apartment towers around the city ... My memory is long, it's a pity that the short sighted voters out there aren't the same :)

No the other side of politics are advocating no spending on large stadia and directing all monies across every sporting club and group. So yes the Upper-Umbucktukka West Under 16s will get new balls, jumpers and even perhaps new change rooms and the major stadiums in Melbourne and Geelong will be left just as they are today.

Because God forbid people should suffer the indignity and duress of having to attend stadiums that are, what, 20 years old? My heart truly breaks for them.

Because God forbid people should suffer the indignity and duress of having to attend stadiums that are, what, 20 years old? My heart truly breaks for them.
No! Because like it or not, Victoria earns a great deal of coin from having first class sports stadia and facilities which not only draw football and cricket, but every sport imaginable, in addition to the concerts, horse racing and just about everything else. If you want those things to go and the money that they generate with it, then under-invest in your facilities. Even Donald Trump would understand that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The surface looked to be in relatively good nick on the weekend by Docklands standards. Obviously a lot of recent repairs, but I don't think there were any injuries caused as a result of the turf, at least?

Anyway, I wonder why the AFL are suddenly interested in keeping the roof open for night matches when possible:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-24/afl-keen-to-change-etihad-stadium-roof-policy
The atmosphere and viewing experience is better with the roof open.

The atmosphere and viewing experience is better with the roof open.
I tend to agree. Just seems weird that the AFL are still trying to figure out key features of this 19-year-old stadium.

I tend to agree. Just seems weird that the AFL are still trying to figure out key features of this 19-year-old stadium.
Theres just not enough ganes played in the weather parameters to keep thr roof open.

If its sunny, then the glare is too hard on the players.
If its overcast then its likely to be cold and windy.
if its night time in Winter its going to be cold.

Friday night was perfect conditions that are far too rare in Melbourne.

Roof needs to be shut whenever there is a 45%+ chance of rain, or whenever North Melbourne are playing because Brad Scott will rage otherwise

Didn't bother me at all on the TV.

Looked like a lovely day, and looked nice with the roof open. Can't comment for spectators, but i enjoyed having it open

You forgot to mention:

$190 million invested at GMHBA Stadium in Geelong so far with another $80 million tipped to be announced before the State Election:

simonds-stadium-stage-4.jpg

$22 million invested at Ballarat so far with a likely $20 million likely to be announced for Stage 2 of Mars Stadium before the election:

mars-stadium-1.jpg

On top of this, the Andrews State Government have spent large amounts of moneys for other sports facilities beyond AFL arenas around the state including some $270 million in regional areas to rebuild ovals, club pavillions, and installation of lighting at ovals, fields and courts with some of the bigger single projects including:
  • Bendigo has recieved $24 million to rebuild their Basketball Stadium into a 4000 capacity arena
  • Ballarat $15 million for its new Basketball/Netball complex
  • Werribee $20 million for its new Basketball complex and a similar sum for Frankston
  • The Junction Oval has had $70 million spent redeveloping it into a state the art cricket hub and home to Cricket Victoria
Mate suburban football grounds, SFL, mpnfl, ect, the grass roots off football in Victoria need the money, to cater for women's football, juniors, Aus kick supers ect. My local club has womens teams, Auskick juniors supers and seniors and we have 1 oval, 4 other local clubs within a 5 km radius have the same problem and the government don't give a s**t. So don't tell us that the government we have now is helping grassroots football because that's bullshit. That 300 million could fix over 500 grass roots facilities

Mate suburban football grounds, SFL, mpnfl, ect, the grass roots off football in Victoria need the money, to cater for women's football, juniors, Aus kick supers ect. My local club has womens teams, Auskick juniors supers and seniors and we have 1 oval, 4 other local clubs within a 5 km radius have the same problem and the government don't give a s**t. So don't tell us that the government we have now is helping grassroots football because that's bullshit. That 300 million could fix over 500 grass roots facilities
Thank you, I'm not disputing that local clubs wouldn't benefit from investment nor that they deserve safe and decent facilities. Councils play an important role in development of smaller community grounds too, and frankly some councils are doing a much better job at it than others. My point made earlier on focussed on the State of Victoria keeping ahead of the game in maintaining and continually upgrading its higher-end facilities.

I am not sure how old you are, but I am old enough to remember a 1984 Melbourne with an MCG which hadn't been upgraded since 1967, it had no lights, hard wooden benches and an ancient cricket scoreboard. Yes back then Melbourne had VFL Park and a gathering of ramshackle suburban VFL grounds. The Australian Open tennis was still played at the old and cramped Kooyong with its hard wooden benches and no cover for spectators, and the only indoor stadium in the whole city was Festival Hall. The State Swimming Centre was still at the Holden Centre. There were no indoor velodromes, few indoor basketball stadiums, and athletics was still based at the old and then decaying Olympic Park.

Various State governments were criticised back in the 80s and 90s for investing what was 100s of millions in building Flinders Park, for upgrading the MCG and for not building a rail line to VFL Park. But today, many couldn't imagine a Melbourne without them. We certainly wouldn't still be hosting the Australian Open (which is now one of the biggest sporting events and certainly the biggest tennis open event in the world with 700,000 attending) today if Tennis Australia were still based at Kooyong.

My point is that you need to ongoingly invest in what has been built up otherwise you will eventually be overtaken. There is room for spending at both the higher and lower end of sporrs facilities. Consider now that Adelaide Oval and Perth Stadium are now considered the benchmark of modern stadia in Australia.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back