Senior 23. Jacob Weitering

Remove this Banner Ad

I always find it hillarious when blokes who have never played at AFL level (possibly not at any level) start saying players aren't "hard" enough!

And again I will say - do you really think Bolton wold keep picking Weitering if he wasn't interested or being professional?
The axing of JSOS this week has certainly demonstrated there are no free rides, even if you are the son & grandson of a gun.

I think his biggest problem will never be the skill set or abilities, it will be a mental thing. The way he was so mature and such a deep thinker as a first year recruit. You could tell he overthought things, and had perfectionist tendencies.

Seeing him sitting on the bench with the towel over his head while Doc was talking to him summed it up for me. I didn’t think spoilt or disinterested sook, I thought over thinker who had a mental battle with enjoying the game and just doing what comes naturally.

I think Bolts is smart enough to fix whatever the problem is though.

He was at his best in Season 1 (2016) as the intercept defender and often was the go-to man from the kick out.

From what I saw last week he was caught out when our midfield tired with the loss of Kennedy, and with Kreuzer losing his spring in the ruck. Tigers had an awfully high number of I50s.

Missed JLT 1 with a ‘stiff neck’. So a bit of an interrupted pre-season. Was good in JLT2 where he played more of a loose defender role.

Let’s see how he goes when our midfield is not leaking ...

With ball in hand he is close to the best in our team. Beautiful field kick, super hands in the air.
But I said from day one he looks soft. Its almost guaranteed if he loses a contest he will grab at something or grimace. Doesnt seem to be able to play through small niggles (or what appear to be small niggles)

I was a big fan of him forward last year. I though he provided a great conduit between HB and HF hitting up to the wings and his kicking and hitting targets was terrific. I also think this affected his play as a defender.

Most of our defenders are zone off intercept mark type of players. Unfortunately for Weiters, Marchbank has nailed down that spot. So if weiters wants to play back he needs to start defending 1on1.

At the end of the day he has all the skills to be an elite afl footballer at either end. I think its up to him.

I think the criticism is fair, but he has shown enough that he will be a good player!

Asking a player to

A: Show some interest and/or have a dip
B: Be a professional
C: Show some hardness at the contest

Is not asking too much particularly when you begin your career demonstrating that you have the ability to be "The Terminator."

Weitering has gone so far backwards that he looks like a mentally and physically weaker version of Jack Watts on an off day. Both are outrageously talented footballers from who it can be legitimately asked if they want it.

For me, it personally started with the way Jacob began reacting to every single niggle. HARKER made mention of it on numerous occasions at the time and I agreed with him then. Unfortunately, the lessons that Bolton has tried to instill into him on numerous occasions have taken him backwards even if they were the right lessons. Those of playing through pain, etc.

At this point in time the top of his draft class has become cursed. Most of the top ten would be lagging quite heavily compared to where their teams would have expected them to be.

I remember I called it out on here very early on and copped a pasting!

Nothing to worry about from my POV. We all know he went as Pick 1 due to his talent as a footballer - his footy skill won't suddenly go missing.
He may or may not have issues between his head - but with Bolton at the helm...he'll know how to develop and nurture his players...as footballers and people.
I fully trust the Carlton coaches and support system to get the best out of all our players.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with all of us SPECULATINg about something observed on the field.

But FMD the way many of us are carrying on as if its an established fact and the conclusions that many are drawing from it, is unbelievable.

This place can be a real echo chamber and these things have a tendency to feed off each other reinforcing what is merely a stab in the dark. We arent privy to any of the game plan, the roles assigned players, injuries, off field issues.

Again , there is nothing wrng with some light hearted discussion and speculation- but lets treat it as such, rather than running with an idea, as if it is an established fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming that Weiters is replacing JSOS...

Last time Jacob went forward he was much more of a focal point, hopefully this time round he'll fly under the radar with Charlie attracting all the heat. Scoring a few 3rd forward cheapies could do wonders for his confidence.

I think his biggest problem will never be the skill set or abilities, it will be a mental thing. The way he was so mature and such a deep thinker as a first year recruit. You could tell he overthought things, and had perfectionist tendencies.

Seeing him sitting on the bench with the towel over his head while Doc was talking to him summed it up for me. I didn’t think spoilt or disinterested sook, I thought over thinker who had a mental battle with enjoying the game and just doing what comes naturally.

I think Bolts is smart enough to fix whatever the problem is though.
That make as more sense than anything i came up with.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hasn't really been working off the ball much... Levi always cops it but at least he offers leads
Maybe. He certainly hasn't been involved and looks uncertain when it is near him.

All in saying is don't judge a 20yo kid who is playing out of position o a half of football where his team butchered the ball and went inside 50 with apparently no intent to hit a team mate at all. Even the best forwards drop their heads when the only chances they get are 1 on 3 shanks

The fact is we cant play Jones, Marchbank
Plowmen and Weitering in the same side
And the end of the yr i would seriously consider trading Weitering would get a very goid return from sides like pies, bulldogs

Bad bad bad bad post .... I understand your passion, I do. You do not .... I repeat DO NOT trade a 10 year player, out of that list you would dish off Jones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back