Portfolio What if the VFL, WAFL and SANFL merged in 1983?

What approach should I take post-1983?

• Respect the clubs' history, very few mergers, only ones that are absolutely necessary

• * history, merge, re-brand or fold as much as possible, it's just fantasy after all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as it's about 1:00 am when this goes up, yesterday I was thinking about my 1983 portfolio that I began in late 2016 (I can hardly believe it's been that long) and I decided to give it a whirl again. So while I listened to 6ix9ine and tried to let that coffee I had 8 hours ago keep me up I designed and designed and designed until I got 12 teams done. So let's get into the story, shall we?
In 1982 South Melbourne moved to Sydney, giving the VFL the upper hand over the SANFL and WAFL. Shortly after South moved North, the CEO of the SANFL flew as quickly as he could to Western Australia and met with the WAFL CEO. They realised that if they didn't take further action, either their leagues would fade into oblivion or their clubs would defect to the VFL at some point. So they devised a proposal that they thought would be fair to the interests of each league. Their plan? A "super league" consisting of all top-level teams in Australia. Basically, every team in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL was in. Each league held meetings with club presidents. In Victoria clubs voted 8-4, in South Australia, it was 5-5 and in Western Australia, the vote was 7-1. These margins were enough for this proposal to be put forward to the ANFC (Australian National Football Council) and when ANFC President Allen Aylett saw this proposal he was amazed by the amount of forward thinking put forward by the leagues. However, Aylett wasn't completely satisfied. One of the ANFC's main functions was to develop and promote the game in markets where rugby football pre-dominated, including Sydney, country New South Wales, Queensland and the ACT. Aylett wanted expansion teams in these areas, and conceded that while they could not possibly found enough teams within 1 year, it was now a pre-requisite that the new league fill this quota. With a proposal of 36 the league would be split into 3 divisions of 12 and be called the AFL. I'm tired, so for now I'll leave you guys with an image of the 1983 Home jumpers. Clash jumper will come later, believe me. I'll upload them all separately soon, and when every design is done I'll make logosfor each team, and eventually there will be future updates but like I said, 1983 Home jumpers:
upload_2018-3-31_0-58-43.png

That's a lot of colour!
Here is the original thread for reference: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/1983-alternate-history.1152172/
It's clear to see I've improved in designing since then so it would be wrong to mix new designs with those old ones.

Two Richmond guernseys don't clash at all.

Otherwise I love the rest. Great stuff.

I'm sure you'll find one of those Richmond Guernsey's is Glenelg.
Claremont would make it three. ;)

Was just thinking about that, might as well chuck modern-day Werribee in for good measure.

Was just thinking about that, might as well chuck modern-day Werribee in for good measure.

But he isn't doing the VFA, it's a VFL, SANFL and WAFL. I do hope he adds a few from other leagues later though.

But he isn't doing the VFA, it's a VFL, SANFL and WAFL. I do hope he adds a few from other leagues later though.
Ah I see. Well when exploring alternate history there's always a little room for fantasy.

I always loved that Falcons Guernsey, blue on red is a great look.

Looking forward to another Fizzler thread.
I get the feeling that you'll like one of the future teams then :thumbsu:
Two Richmond guernseys don't clash at all.

Otherwise I love the rest. Great stuff.
They will have clash jumpers eventually, however that will come in time.
Just stick the away team in white shorts and problem solved.
For what it's worth, at the time Glenelg wore yellow shorts, they looked great.
Yeah that's Glenelg. It's weird that 5 out of 12 teams so far wear a sash. The way the teams were placed in divisions (by results from 1982) put all those teams in Div 1, but I don't think there are many in lower divisions.
Or am I?????:think:

Which team is the one with the blue and red stripes on the white base?
Central Districts. That jumper is IMO heaps better than their current Adelaide rip-off.

I get the feeling that you'll like one of the future teams then :thumbsu:

They will have clash jumpers eventually, however that will come in time.

For what it's worth, at the time Glenelg wore yellow shorts, they looked great.

Yeah that's Glenelg. It's weird that 5 out of 12 teams so far wear a sash. The way the teams were placed in divisions (by results from 1982) put all those teams in Div 1, but I don't think there are many in lower divisions.

Or am I?????:think:

Ohhh I can't wait, I want it now.

Southport Sharks over the Suns would be ideal. IRL also.

Central Districts. That jumper is IMO heaps better than their current Adelaide rip-off.

Yeah CD had a great look back then, I remember a local side I played for back in the day had a similar look and most of our opposition used to praise the look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked the old CD design alot more than the one theyre in now as well.

Who is the black and white guernsey in between Sturt and West Perth. Im thinking Swan Districts maybe?
Yeah that’s the Swans. I just need to finish the West Perth logo but I’m struggling to find a large, high quality version of their logo. I know I use to have one because the one in the old version came out well so if anyone has one please do share.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
In 1982 Collingwood had played in four of the last six Grand Finals.
Unfortunately, the club they're most likely to replace would be Essendon, who at this point haven't played in a Grand Final in over a decade, haven't won one in seventeen seasons, and have just over half the membership of Collingwood.

Fizzler West Perth changed from Cardinals to Falcons in 1975.
Don't worry about that if you changed it back for this thread but.

great work.
I'm fairly certain West Perth changed to the Falcons in 1982.

Just going off wiki, the history on their page is limited.
All I remember is it was before I can remember.
I double checked my West Perth History book.

They adopted the Falcon logo in 1980 and had a vote to change the name to Falcons at the 1982 AGM.

The name change got approved.

371 votes to 58 votes.

Fizzler West Perth changed from Cardinals to Falcons in 1975.
Don't worry about that if you changed it back for this thread but.

great work.
I put Cardinals because this is what I found online.
b_waco82.jpg

It's a stamp collection cover.
In 1982 Collingwood had played in four of the last six Grand Finals.
Unfortunately, the club they're most likely to replace would be Essendon, who at this point haven't played in a Grand Final in over a decade, haven't won one in seventeen seasons, and have just over half the membership of Collingwood.
Placings are only based off the 1982 season, as the league figured that the stronger teams would probably organically make their way up if they really were as good as they believed.

Division 2 holds one new team and one club outside of the big leagues.
upload_2018-4-1_13-19-52.png

The teams are probably self-explanatory, but I won't spoil any that you guys don't know. Individual ones coming soon.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC

Saw some old mate wearing a long sleeved Central Districts jumper circa 83 a couple of months ago in Preston - was a sight to behold - would have taken a photo but reckon he would have belted me- didnt seem in the mood for posing for photos

Division 2 holds one new team and one club outside of the big leagues.
View attachment 477505
The teams are probably self-explanatory, but I won't spoil any that you guys don't know. Individual ones coming soon.

So much blue on red, I think I have just found heaven.
Love your Tassie idea.

Back