Upper Murray 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality is juniors numbers in every country league are declining, clubs need to more proactive rather then sitting on there hands and being pig headed. It's about finding ways for kids to keep playing footy and locals having something somewhere to watch!!

Awjfl are made up of a growing number of albury/wodonga kids. Very much doubt mums and dads would send youngs kids up to Corryong for a 9.30 game just so they get a game. As for your kids going to tallangatta for a game that a personal choice can't stop kids wanting to improve themselves, what you get in return (hopefully) is better matured senior player in time. What my thought is the remaining kids in the upper Murray get together and help another country team out filling a team.
I don’t think you are picking up what I’m putting down here. Kids from awjfl don’t need to come out here to play. The non local kids should be playing for their home clubs in the tdfl. Then the overflowing kids from that league could come back here. The proof of the downfall of this situation is there for all to see. Our u16s comp is finished. But I’m wrapped that the awjfl teams have enough for two sides in some grades. If the awjfl is growing with “local” kids surely they don’t need ours?

Last edited:
The reality is juniors numbers in every country league are declining, clubs need to more proactive rather then sitting on there hands and being pig headed. It's about finding ways for kids to keep playing footy and locals having something somewhere to watch!!
You are spot on here. Kids just aren’t playing footy and there just aren’t the kids around like there was ten years ago. Happy to hear your thoughts on what clubs could do differently.

You are spot on here. Kids just aren’t playing footy and there just aren’t the kids around like there was ten years ago. Happy to hear your thoughts on what clubs could do differently.

I think the reality is the UMFL is in real trouble. Realistically even if there was just enough kids not every junior is going to go on and play senior football at their club. If any of them are half decent they will head down to Alb/Wod(can’t blame them). Large amount will move for work/study commitments and a the majority won’t be any good and just choose not to play at all.
Basing the existence and success of your club and league entirely on junior football is not the answer.

I think the reality is the UMFL is in real trouble. Realistically even if there was just enough kids not every junior is going to go on and play senior football at their club. If any of them are half decent they will head down to Alb/Wod(can’t blame them). Large amount will move for work/study commitments and a the majority won’t be any good and just choose not to play at all.
Basing the existence and success of your club and league entirely on junior football is not the answer.
Agree with all this relton. Although on the flip side if a club has had some lean years and you can’t recruit some top end players, the normal train of thought is to go back a step and blood some promising juniors and try to improve again over a few years with local kids. No upper Murray club has the privilege to be able to do that now.

I’m not saying I have any answers for these problems. Lack of numbers is probably 60% of the problem. The kids going down the road and playing in other comps is definitely part of the problem though in my opinion.

In stead of getting a side together to play in Wagga helping out bigger town sides. Maybe get together and help a country side out? Eg mitta who haven't got many juniors. Not as much travel.
And the idea of bullioh being a stand alone club in the tdfl!! Your kidding yourself!!
Footsball why couldn't they be a stand alone side remember if the upper murray league did fold and that's if where are all the players going to go clubs will still recruit out of Albury wodonga

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gotta have juniors! Tallangatta and mitta struggle with junior numbers already, why let another team in the same competition with similar situation! If the Upper Murray folded they all should merge and form a side in the tdfl.

Gotta have juniors! Tallangatta and mitta struggle with junior numbers already, why let another team in the same competition with similar situation! If the Upper Murray folded they all should merge and form a side in the tdfl.

Hahahaha funny joke there would be no merger between the clubs the amount of the Rivalries/ hate between the the clubs would stop it from ever happening

Typical arrogance from the local upper Murray. Don't worry about the future of football for kids!

So with just under a week away to the start of the premier comp of Victoria’s high country who are going to be the movers and shakers of each competition seniors and reserves

So with just under a week away to the start of the premier comp of Victoria’s high country who are going to be the movers and shakers of each competition seniors and reserves
I think the senior ladder at the end of home and away will be

Bullioh
Corryong
Federal
Cudgewa
Tumba
Walwa

Tumba have a stack or clearances out of the farrer league so it’s hard to get a read on them. And as of the weekend cudgewa had a heap come in too so they will improve. B McEvoy is one of those. And I expect aalbers to play also.

And the seconds will be won by bullioh by 100 points and no one will give a crap except them.

Any late signings for the clubs that have been kept under wraps?

With the season starting this Saturday here are my tips.
Going to go with Bullioh over Walwa with Billy Nichols back if that's him in clearances and they have picked up a few handy recruits.Been to a few of Walwa preseason trainnings looks like they have got a few recruits but first game everyone will be keen to perform Bullioh by 31pts
Tumba/Cudgie game looks to be intersting both sides will have alot of new faces playing tumba with the most coming out of the farrer league haven't seen any of them play so game could go either way.Being cudgies home game will go with them Cudgie by 14pts
Corryong take on Fedrals in which could be the game of the round. feds have added a few older guys to their list this season which should help all the young guys feds blooded last season.Corryong have been the most quiet in recruits which means nothing last years premiers mite just get over the line by Corryong 9pts.
Won't worry about doing a ladder just yet wait until 5 games have been played but do agree bullioh/corryong will be there.
The only thing i would like to see is the coaches from each club promote the league alot more the standard has dropped abit in the last few seasons so that needs to be addressed

Wow what a first round feds hit the ground running belting the premiers cudgie making light work of tumba and bullioh handing Walwa a crushing defeat but the question I ask what happened in Corryong are Feds that good if so then look out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow what a first round feds hit the ground running belting the premiers cudgie making light work of tumba and bullioh handing Walwa a crushing defeat but the question I ask what happened in Corryong are Feds that good if so then look out
Did Feds Ex AFL listed player go any good Coach?
Did Corryong have anyone out?
Hopefully 3 Beltings isn’t a sign of what’s to come for the League this Season.

Round 2
Grand final replay Corryong to bounce back and show up but I think Bullioh would be still stewing over last years big dance defeat so Bullioh by 24

Feds Vs Cudge I think this to be match of the round and a closer then you think match but I think feds may just run over Cudge in the end so Feds by 36

Tumba Vs Walwa the two unknowns of this season and I don’t think last week results reflect both side true potential so it’ll be a toss of the coin I’m picking Tumba purely because of home ground advantage so Tumba by 18

Bullioh vs Feds
So it’s Bullioh just to have to much fire power Z.Burhop who can stop him from feds so it’s Bullioh by 50+ And also will feds have a 2nds after forfeiting last weekend

Corryong vs Tumba
After back to back 100 point losses I think tumba is slowly coming together and Evans shoulders are getting sore from carrying a team for well over a decade so I’m picking Tumba in a close one by 10

Cudgewa vs Walwa
A much improved Walwa last weekend but the bigger bodies of Cudge to over power them and B. McEvoy to kick a bag so itll be Cudgewa by 60+

Rather than fold the league and have a combined TDFL club, why not drop the reserves comp instead. Most UMFL clubs can find 25-30 blokes to play. The problem is finding 50+ needed to fill two teams. One senior team per club works well in Omeo, Northern Riverina and Millewa comps.

What’s the story with Clem Smith playing Reserves for Federals Old Kenny?
Will he be in the Seniors next week?
Cudgewa touching up Corryong might also make things interesting up in the hills.
Does Grimes make that much of a difference to Corryong?

What’s the story with Clem Smith playing Reserves for Federals Old Kenny?
Will he be in the Seniors next week?
Cudgewa touching up Corryong might also make things interesting up in the hills.
Does Grimes make that much of a difference to Corryong?

The story would be a few of the north Albury boys played during inter-league bye

The story would be a few of the north Albury boys played during inter-league bye
Correct boonie. Just a once off. It was fantastic that theses fellas came out for a game at a smaller league to help with numbers. Also great that a club allowed its players to do this. From all reports the players enjoyed themselves. Most people would know our plight in regards to our seconds numbers and we are striving to get a team together each week.

Big game this week in the local derby. Feds have had a lot of injuries and blokes unavailable since the first game. Are the dees going to start getting some premiership players back as alluded to in tomorrow's paper?

So at the half way point of the year what is everyone’s view on the season so far are there any surprises or is it just bulliohs for the taking and rest just fighting for second and what will the second half of the season produce

Remove this Banner Ad

Back