New sports radio station arriving to rival SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

All I need is the drive home show with Ox and Allen so I'm happy with that.
Glad you are. Rather drive off bridge myself.

Having said that, if this niche little station satisfies a few I hope it stays on air so you got something you like to tune into. Cannot see myself ever tuning in but others will that want this.

Last edited:
You are wrong about Finey. He was a great addition to the station. He bridged the gap between the straight up sports broadcaster and the regular, anonymous people who listen to the station.

But anyway, that's not the reason why im posting. Just to say any sports station is a chance when Maher is on the rival station.

I wasn't a huge fan of Mark Fine but to say he didn't know much about various sports is rubbish. The problem with him was he was overexposed and that I think drove his ego into overdrive. Hutchy should have kept him but on a tighter lead.

So nothing.
****, this is going nowhere.

Lol what did you expect? I'd bet the now-former Talking Lifestyle brand was one of the worst rating radio networks in Australian history, nobody is going to know this new sports station exists except for us idiots loitering BigFooty. There's no way they were going to pull any big names – who is there to get, anyway?

That line-up is 100% on par with current standing of the station.

Lol what did you expect? I'd bet the now-former Talking Lifestyle brand was one of the worst rating radio networks in Australian history, nobody is going to know this new sports station exists except
That line-up is 100% on par with current standing of the station.

That is the point though. Why even bother? Just close down the station if you not even going to produce anything worthy of getting noticed.

I hope they prove us all wrong and produce something worthwhile.

Last edited:
Macquarie Sports Radio is the new player in town.

Following a leaked email from Executive Chairman Russell Tate in March, rumours that Macquarie Media's Talking Lifestyle was to be replaced with a sports format were confirmed, and the network is set to launch its new sports radio network, Macquarie Sports Radio, on Wednesday April 4.

Newly appointed CEO Adam Lang said: “We are very excited to be launching Australia’s first national commercial sports radio talk network. Australians have a long established obsession with sport and we continue to see growth in a variety of sporting endeavours.

"There are more than 13 million sports fans in Australia. Sport is social, it bonds strangers together and we want to give them a voice and a platform to connect and engage.

"Macquarie Media is #1 for Australian sport with NRL and The Continuous Call Team on 2GB and 4BC, AFL on 3AW and 6PR and our national live cricket in summer amongst our participation in a range of other events.

"Our passion for telling the story flows into our broadcasts of Australia’s top sports. It made sense to extend our expertise into a national format that covers all sports all of the time.”

Monday to Friday in Sydney and Brisbane, Macquarie Sports Radio Breakfast (05:30-09:00 am) will be hosted by John Stanley and Beau Ryan.

The Melbourne breakfast show hosted by Tony Leonard, Tony Shaw and Jimmy Bartel. David Schwartz and Mark Allen will head up a national drive program.

• Mornings will be hosted by David Morrow & Tiffany Cherry
  • Afternoons will be hosted by Mieke Buchan, Shane McInnes and Sam Stove
  • Evenings with Julian King
  • Weekend Mornings with Bill Woods & Brigitte Duclos
  • Weekend Afternoons with Craig Willis & Clinton Maynard
  • Weekend Evenings with Tim Webster

Macquarie Sports Radio will also feature some of the country’s leading sporting personalities and experts as regular guests and contributors including Leigh Matthews, Des Hasler, Mike Hussey, Mark Riddell and Andrew Gaze.

The new Melbourne breakfast and drive shows will be heard on Macquarie Sports Radio straight after the Commonwealth Games, from Monday 16 April.

Macquarie Sports Radio has also secured exclusive broadcast rights to live English Premier League matches (EPL).

Three EPL games will be broadcast each week, across the weekend overnights program. The network has also signed a partnership with the EPL's global audio partner talkSPORT, the world’s biggest sports radio station, and will broadcast two of their award winning shows, Hawksbee & Jacobs and Durham & Gough, between midnight and 4am weekdays.

Macquarie Sports Radio will be heard in Sydney on 954 AM, in Melbourne on 1278 AM and in Brisbane on 882 AM and on the respective Digital Radio DAB+ stations.

Read more at: https://radioinfo.com.au/news/macquarie-media-set-launch-national-sports-radio-network © Radioinfo.com.au

There's some good names on that line up. I quite like Morrow and Cherry - that's a good morning line up, though probably not one that can challenge Whately. I like Bill Woods too, though I'm not likely to listen to radio on a weekend morning. Mieke Buchan is a hell of a blast from the past, but I always liked her.

That Melbourne breakfast line up though? That's brutal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the go with Jimmy Bartel. I thought he was on RSN for breakfast and then 3AW for AFL on weekends. Obviously he won't be doing RSN breakfast anymore but presume he would keep doing AFL as you wouldn't risk giving that up to join Tony Shaw on a start-up station...

What do you mean?
abandon or discontinue

Not sure if it's a common use, but I usually say I've 'dropped' a TV show when I stop watching it. What I meant with this was that I've stopped before I've even begun with this new station due to Gaze being involved. I'm being a bit hyperbolic though... I listened to SEN for years when he was involved after all.

I can't see Marko and Ox being popular in NSW/QLD.

As someone who likes motorsport, I think Bill Woods is a knob.

What do you mean?
Depends if they can adapt. Management would have directed them to pay more attention to NRL (and not just Storm) and Super Rugby so it depends if they can adapt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back