Gold Coast Commonwealth Games 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it fits around 8k without stands so I guess with temporary stands they could probably get it up to around 15k?

If costs permit, I don't see much of an issue with this.

How good would it be to have some locals rounds at a suburban ground.

If costs permit, I don't see much of an issue with this.

How good would it be to have some locals rounds at a suburban ground.
It would be good but unlikely to happen (unless they trial it next season in the nab challenge)
Maybe we need to bring in GCFC Digital to this thread to see what the club knows and doesn't know.

Hard to believe this has been 10 years in the making and is now just a few days away. The bids to create a Gold Coast AFL team and host the 2018 Commonwealth Games were a joint venture by the governments in power at the time, so the Suns are very wrapped up in the history of this event. I don't think it's a stretch to say one doesn't happen without the other.

Here's hoping the late Ron Clarke gets the recognition he deserves at the Opening Ceremony on Wednesday night. I'm also hoping local athlete Sally Pearson walks away with a gold medal in the hurdles and is rewarded with a bronze statue outside Metricon Stadium.

Hard to believe this has been 10 years in the making and is now just a few days away. The bids to create a Gold Coast AFL team and host the 2018 Commonwealth Games were a joint venture by the governments in power at the time, so the Suns are very wrapped up in the history of this event. I don't think it's a stretch to say one doesn't happen without the other.

Here's hoping the late Ron Clarke gets the recognition he deserves at the Opening Ceremony on Wednesday night. I'm also hoping local athlete Sally Pearson walks away with a gold medal in the hurdles and is rewarded with a bronze statue outside Metricon Stadium.
It would be nice for us to have a walk of honour of statues at Metricon:
Sally Pearson
Ron Clarke
Gary Ablett

who else?

They have made some Lycra Wearing Hockey player the Flag Bearer rather than Sally
GAGF
Sally is a local girl, amazing role model, never put a foot wrong and had an incredible career.
I’m truly flabbergasted.

Organisers better have something extra special organised for her. Or there will be trouble.

They have made some Lycra Wearing Hockey player the Flag Bearer rather than Sally
GAGF
Sally is a local girl, amazing role model, never put a foot wrong and had an incredible career.
I’m truly flabbergasted.

Organisers better have something extra special organised for her. Or there will be trouble.
this most likely means Sal will have a big role of some sort in the Opening Ceremony

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Less than an hour to go until the Opening Ceremony at Metricon. It's quite interesting to see what the Gold Coast Sports Precinct looks like these days:

4TwwKlR.jpg

GC will be playing all their big games at Gabba till 2020 (5 per year). Maybe they could struggle on at Carrara between 2011-2018, as those 8 years would equate to BBears 6 years there between 1987-1992 and then another three years at the Gabba whilst the new stands were being built and crowds were only 11k capacity.

So it is a progression that is do-able, but it won't help them to win early flags.

If the bid is successful, then why not go for a 40k stadium after it is downsized a la Homebush.

lol

I’m very concerned about reports that the public transport system has already been an epic fail
But how good is the traffic!!!! No ones on the bloody road. As a courier driver this is like Christmas for me. Its fantastic. Spoke to one of my customers an embroiderer and they're rushing to get an order done for about 9 of the countries who forgot to organise their competing outfit's. Go figure you send a team of athletes to the games and forget to organise what clothes they wear.

This is so ******* bland. I loved the inclusion and focus on indigenous Australia but it was so slow and boring. Then ******* Ricki Lee comes out singing some horseshit song? What the *?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back