FTA-TV On The Mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
New show with Sarah Jones, Neroli Meadows and Kelli Underwood. Think it's a good cast.

First guest is Travis Cloke. He clearly never came to grips with the fact his form serverly declined when Collingwood gave him 3.6 million dollars, and copped it on Twitter for it. This is an insult to people with actual mental health issues.

It makes you realise that it's really not easy to cultivate interplay between journalists and players that seems natural. Or, for that matter, to have people on TV talk about football without every utterance sounding entirely scripted.

I thought it was ok.
Cloke isn't exactly an engaging confident speaker which i think showed, it will improve with better guests.

I'd actually prefer to see a format similar to those used by ESPN on E:60 or NFL Network with NFL 360.
1 minute introduction with the 2/3 hosts followed by a 10 mins piece on whatever topic in a sort documentary format, followed by 1/2 min discussion between the hosts on the topic, repeat the cycle again and half hour show complete.

The right format for these things isn't sitting around a desk chatting.

I enjoyed it, it'll be interesting to see what guests they've got in the coming weeks. Nice to see the other side of footy plus more Sarah Jones which is a bonus :)

With this show, Open Mike and the upcoming "Bob", it seems that soon there is going to be effectively three separate interview-style shows.

Surely this is overkill?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Barlow on last nights ep, really feel for the guy. Seems like such a genuine humble fella whose had a torrid run with injury. Still don't understand why the Suns didn't give him a proper go? Mind boggling really.

Michael Barlow on last nights ep, really feel for the guy. Seems like such a genuine humble fella whose had a torrid run with injury. Still don't understand why the Suns didn't give him a proper go? Mind boggling really.
Won't lie. It is mind-boggling.

I get the impression the club had a plan from the get-go to play others ahead of him (without diverging), and the only reason he was even played to begin with was due to injuries to others on our list. Dew is a first-year coach who's probably 'inflexible' in his philosophy at the moment, and the match committee simply look like a pack of clowns in all honesty. It's my hope they take away a lesson from our handling of Barlow this year (specifically, it's alright to be more flexible in who you select if a player is performing better than expected, and those initially ahead of them are performing worse than expected). Possibly, he was recruited by the club by mistake (awkwardly, Barlow was an older player recruited during a big change in the club's powers-that-be, and he probably didn't fit in with the new administration's plans), but the club should've had the flexibility and class to be able to work with him despite that, especially when he was demanding a spot at one point by getting 50+ disposals in the Twos. His last game for the Suns is a testament to that.

Basically, he was managed horribly. The club likely won't admit that, but that's the truth (take into account this is a guy moving from Western Australian to Queensland, too).

I only hope he gets a lifeline to play at another club more deserving of his service.

Won't lie. It is mind-boggling.

I get the impression the club had a plan from the get-go to play others ahead of him (without diverging), and the only reason he was even played to begin with was due to injuries to others on our list. Dew is a first-year coach who's probably 'inflexible' in his philosophy at the moment, and the match committee simply look like a pack of clowns in all honesty. It's my hope they take away a lesson from our handling of Barlow this year (specifically, it's alright to be more flexible in who you select if a player is performing better than expected, and those initially ahead of them are performing worse than expected). Possibly, he was recruited by the club by mistake (awkwardly, Barlow was an older player recruited during a big change in the club's powers-that-be, and he probably didn't fit in with the new administration's plans), but the club should've had the flexibility and class to be able to work with him despite that, especially when he was demanding a spot at one point by getting 50+ disposals in the Twos. His last game for the Suns is a testament to that.

Basically, he was managed horribly. The club likely won't admit that, but that's the truth (take into account this is a guy moving from Western Australian to Queensland, too).

I only hope he gets a lifeline to play at another club more deserving of his service.
Brilliant post, you make some great points. I hope he gets another crack too, maybe Freo will take him back if Neale scoots off! Lol

Brilliant post, you make some great points. I hope he gets another crack too, maybe Freo will take him back if Neale scoots off! Lol
I think my greatest issue is that it reflects very poorly on my club as to how we treat players who go to the trouble of moving interstate. In one breath we're complaining about our trouble in attracting players interstate (be it via trade, free agency, whatever), but then we have the audacity to not give one of those players a fair go, or even a good sense of job stability. Barlow said it all in that interview, really - as early as pre-season, he felt like his back was up against the wall. Which is pretty crap as far as player welfare is concerned.

Our problems are of our own making, really.

I think my greatest issue is that it reflects very poorly on my club as to how we treat players who go to the trouble of moving interstate. In one breath we're complaining about our trouble in attracting players interstate (be it via trade, free agency, whatever), but then we have the audacity to not give one of those players a fair go, or even a good sense of job stability. Barlow said it all in that interview, really - as early as pre-season, he felt like his back was up against the wall. Which is pretty crap as far as player welfare is concerned.

Our problems are of our own making, really.
I was pretty shocked when he said that he felt on the outer as early as pre-season, poor bloke never stood a chance. So unfair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back