Cricinfo

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah or forces you to sign up as member which I have done just to avoid.

Content wise it is absolutely unparalleled and there really is no competition. Not a huge fan of the changes, but pretty comfortable in navigating it by now. Not so bad on macbook laptop, but is horrible trying to read articles on my phone when it keeps jumping up to the top of the page as you are trying to read.

First few times I went on looking for JTL scores I kept getting articles listed about all ESPN sports as well as cricket. Don't know what I was doing wrong there and it's driven me to go straight to Cricket Australia now. On the phone you might want to try cricbuzz. Very easy to navigate once in the app and the scoreboards are excellent.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does cricinfo have an option anywhere to view 'classic' mode or whatever? Like Bigfooty does?

I am on cricinfo all summer long and this so called upgrade is really gonna s**t me

Wouldn't think so, it's an ESPN thing. Can understand why they would want consistent branding/feel to their websites across the board, but not the biggest fan of their scrolling style.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
A one point during the score coverage of WA v CAXI, the scoreboard started... undoing itself. CAXI unlost two wickets and got to try the previous 5 over again but gave up 30 runs.

Which is when I decided that checking the score on CA's site was the lesser of two evils.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A one point during the score coverage of WA v CAXI, the scoreboard started... undoing itself. CAXI unlost two wickets and got to try the previous 5 over again but gave up 30 runs.

Which is when I decided that checking the score on CA's site was the lesser of two evils.

Rookie move ;)

For Australian domestic cricket the source of any online scorecard is the CA website (not sure about the Big Bash, I think cricinfo do cover that independently), so always better off going straight to the horses mouth for live scores. For all other cricket, cricinfo is the better option.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
The recent upgrades have made it far more difficult to navigate.
The navigation is shocking. For instance I don't even think there is a direct way to click through to Sheffield Shield career records anymore.

Instead I've found it easier to google what I'm looking for and prepend cricinfo to the search.

For instance I can't work out how you can click through to this page in Cricinfo: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/australia/engine/records/index.html?id=114;type=trophy
What particularly annoys me is the removal of real-time updates of career and season statistics in live scorecards.
That pissed me right off. Why would you get rid of a feature like that.

Still a terrible site, and they seem to be reducing staff too. Interesting articles that aren't necessarily relevant have been thrown over to the Cricket Monthly website, which has in turn been changed into just another website, so the 'monthly' aspect means nothing, and hides the fact that there aren't as many articles as there used to be.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Does anyone know if they still have the player v player breakdowns in the live stats for each game? They used to be in the stats part with hawkeye and stuff like that but it seems to have vanished.

I have noticed to that I can't always load old scorecards for games.
Yeah have noticed the same/similar issue, occasionally need to refresh 3/4 times to load a scorecard

ECB take on major critic
The beleaguered ECB, who have lost two directors in the past month, have now started legal action against one of their foremost critics.

ESPN Cricinfo's respected, award-winning writer George Dobell is being sued for his attacks on chairman Colin Graves' regime — with ECB lawyers Onside Law threatening a defamation case via an initial letter of claim.

Surrey's Richard Thompson and Somerset's Andy Nash both quit the board in protest at the way Graves was running the organisation.

Ironically, ESPN are owned by Disney, who could soon end up controlling Sky, who effectively bankroll the ECB through TV rights. The last high-profile ECB legal fight between former chairman Giles Clarke and sports management company IMG cost cricket's ruling body a huge amount in legal fees before an out-of-court settlement.

Meanwhile, the ECB have announced an external review into Glamorgan being awarded £2.5million for not hosting Test cricket, which was one of the reasons Thompson quit the board.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...gaffe-prone-chief-executive-Martin-Glenn.html

The quality of the journalism there is often (though not always) not great either.

I mean, I guess she writes okay but if Firdoose Moonda has written a critical word about the South African team recently, I must have missed it. She’s not alone there, she was just the first one I thought of.

Country bias on there seems to be getting worse.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The quality of the journalism there is often (though not always) not great either.

I mean, I guess she writes okay but if Firdoose Moonda has written a critical word about the South African team recently, I must have missed it. She’s not alone there, she was just the first one I thought of.

Country bias on there seems to be getting worse.
Its funny because I feel like Cricinfo is almost the total opposite of the rest of the cricket media in the sense that the Australian's seem to be the least biased. Coverdale and in particular Brettig are excellent writers but are very critical of the Australians a lot of the time.

Samiuddin, Dobell and Fernando although sound writers are clearly huge fans of the sides they report on (along with Moonda as you mentioned).

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I can cop reading other writers backing their home sides a bit because the general media we are exposed to here, has literally no idea about players from other nations and how their sides have performed, or the issues they’re facing.

Neil Wagner has taken 90 wickets at 22 since Australia last played against NZ. But anyone in here can imagine the sort of ‘unheralded/fringe/little known kiwi paceman Neil Wagner’ sort of stuff we’d read if they were to tour here next summer.

Similarly, my side who just cops it left right and centre for being a joke - often with justification - has won 3 tests overseas in the time since England last won any. How many nations’ cricket media would have any clue of that figure? So to go to a source where the perspectives of all 12 test nations are pretty well represented is worth the exaggerated home leanings.

Near as I can tell, they currently have no reporters responsible for the West Indies, Afghanistan or Ireland; one reponsible for all the Associates (who they chose to not have cover the WCQ); and all of their reporters have been around for a long time now.

Seriously, who is their newest full-time writer? Kimber? He joined them years ago now. Technically, Andrew Fernando and Mohammad Isam aren't listed as writers, but I think that's just because they haven't updated their index for a while. And both have been around for a while.

Their video content, which they seem to care a lot about, is pretty much exclusively for the Indian market, and rarely informative.

As I mentioned earlier, their long pieces have been moved off to The Cricket Monthly, and there is less of them than there used to be too.

Moonda does criticse the South Africans from time to time, but it's almost never for the thing you would expect it to be. Her writing is also probably the most clunky of all their main writers, yet she is the only Saffer correspondent they have now. (Her husband, Telford Vice, has appeared in long-form writings on the site from time to time, and both are fairly typical liberal sports writers who let their politics colour their opinions - although I would say Vice pulls it off more convincingly).

Their ball-by-ball commentary is pretty poor. Once upon a time they would call upon people from whichever teams were playing to do it, now they exclusively have Indians (from their main HQ) except for series with England.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Near as I can tell, they currently have no reporters responsible for the West Indies, Afghanistan or Ireland; one reponsible for all the Associates (who they chose to not have cover the WCQ); and all of their reporters have been around for a long time now.

Seriously, who is their newest full-time writer? Kimber? He joined them years ago now. Technically, Andrew Fernando and Mohammad Isam aren't listed as writers, but I think that's just because they haven't updated their index for a while. And both have been around for a while.

Their video content, which they seem to care a lot about, is pretty much exclusively for the Indian market, and rarely informative.

As I mentioned earlier, their long pieces have been moved off to The Cricket Monthly, and there is less of them than there used to be too.

Moonda does criticse the South Africans from time to time, but it's almost never for the thing you would expect it to be. Her writing is also probably the most clunky of all their main writers, yet she is the only Saffer correspondent they have now. (Her husband, Telford Vice, has appeared in long-form writings on the site from time to time, and both are fairly typical liberal sports writers who let their politics colour their opinions - although I would say Vice pulls it off more convincingly).

Their ball-by-ball commentary is pretty poor. Once upon a time they would call upon people from whichever teams were playing to do it, now they exclusively have Indians (from their main HQ) except for series with England.
I don't think they have a reporter responsible for New Zealand either (I could be wrong).

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The quality of cricinfo writing is pretty much unmatched, aside from Haigh & Atherton whose articles are weekly and behind paywalls - thought they covered the associate qualifiers superbly (and very visibly) so I don't get that criticism at all? Generally take the contrarian stance to the BCCI so am not seeing the issue there either.

Back