No Oppo Supporters Shrugging a tackle vs ducking

Remove this Banner Ad

sauron256

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Taz
AFL Club
Geelong
This morning Chris Scott fired back at Clarko over his comments.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-07/scott-hits-back-at-clarkos-selwood-comments

Here's a video with Joey Montagna explaining what Selwood does and how it's different to playing for a free kick.

What are people's thoughts? I'm trying to remember Joel's 3 concussions and whether any of them were a result of his shrugging. I think there was one against the Hawks in 2013 [EDIT - apologies this was actually Joel Corey] and one against the Dockers, both of which were a result of collisions where he had his head over the ball, so I'd agree that Clarko is talking out of his arse on this one.

Joel's other concussion was against the Saints where he slid into the ball on his knees, kept his upper body straight and actually lifted his head before contract.

I remember arguing with non-Geelong people after that incident that he didn't duck but they would only said "he wouldn't have been concussed of he didn't duck" - how can you have been ducking when you are actually looking at your opponent before they run into you?

I'm trying to remember Joel's 3 concussions and whether any of them were a result of his shrugging. I think there was one against the Hawks in 2013 and one against the Dockers, both of which were a result of collisions where he had his head over the ball, so I'd agree that Clarko is talking out of his arse on this one.
Here are two of them Clarkson is talking out of his arse, not surprisingly.

Concussion 1:

Concussion 2:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/geelon...inute-against-fremantle-dockers-ng-b88517618z

"I can understand that Alastair was frustrated with James Sicily getting suspended but I think any reasonable person would say that Joel was more likely to suffer a concussion from a knee in the head that shrugging a tackle around the shoulder," Scott said.

This is the truth of the matter. Clarkson trying to deflect criticism from his own player. Scott goes on to add: "To bring it up again and suggest a change in the rules I think is deflecting from the real issue Alastair probably wanted to talk about."

And we can only wonder what that issue was. Look, any reasonable supporter of any AFL club would give their eyeteeth to have Joel Selwood in their team - and, specifically, as their captain. He is, if not the gutsiest (and I suspect he is) then at least one of the gutsiest players I've ever seen. Few could rationally deny that. For Clarkson to spruik such "alternative facts" (Chris Scott's phrase) is not only completely disingenuous it is to personally insult a player who is a gentleman, a fearsome opponent and a universally admired (except by morons) leader who any coach would dearly love to have on his team.

Seems the cranky midget decided to try and divert the attention from his newest thug in shitty stripes getting rubbed out for a dog act with a bit if subterfuge on Selwood.

Seems desperate really and with no merit or basis. Leigh Matthews and Wayne Carey said its fine.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad CS stuck fat over JS! How about all the nuff nuffs out there tackle lower. To put ducking and rolling or shrugging the shoulders as the same is got no idea.

This morning Chris Scott fired back at Clarko over his comments.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-07/scott-hits-back-at-clarkos-selwood-comments

Here's a video with Joey Montagna explaining what Selwood does and how it's different to playing for a free kick.

What are people's thoughts? I'm trying to remember Joel's 3 concussions and whether any of them were a result of his shrugging. I think there was one against the Hawks in 2013 [EDIT - apologies this was actually Joel Corey] and one against the Dockers, both of which were a result of collisions where he had his head over the ball, so I'd agree that Clarko is talking out of his arse on this one.

All headchlashes going low at the contest or back with the flight of the ball.

His tackle avoiding technique that he uses is completely safe and legal. It’s skilled and players who tackle poorly face the consequence.

It is much safer than the ducking of the head puoplooo and others execute.

Half the time he initially looks to play on regardless and only comes back when the umpire blows the whistle.

For all the Hawks inbred supporters grow a brain and see the technique for what it is, an evasive move to get out of a TACKLE...not to draw a free

Clueless little sheeps

The rules pannel have gone over it years ago, and they gave it the tick of approval and said Selwood has every right to maneuver and avoid a tackle. If the opposition can’t stick their tackle and it slips high then that is their poor technique. No different to Martin giving a don’t argue and the tackle slips away.

It is up to them to make it stick and go low at the waist.

He has every right to break the tackle. He is it putting his head in any dangerous position, it is very safe.

It has been given the green light that many times over the years and is not a talking point anymore.

The rules pannel have gone over it years ago, and they gave it the tick of approval and said Selwood has every right to maneuver and avoid a tackle. If the opposition can’t stick their tackle and it slips high then that is their poor technique. No different to Martin giving a don’t argue and the tackle slips away.

It is up to them to make it stick and go low at the waist.

He has every right to break the tackle. He is it putting his head in any dangerous position, it is very safe.

It has been given the green light that many times over the years and is not a talking point anymore .
Unless you want to deflect attention from your own team ;)

The way this gets framed as the "does Selwood duck?" debate is an absurdity. It's not a "debate" if there's an objective answer to the question. There are right and wrong answers, and it's not like the right answer is particularly hard to understand. He has a shrugging technique that is within the rules. People don't get to "have an opinion" on that, they either engage with reality and accept it as a basic fact or they don't, in which case they openly declare themselves to be an utter moron.

The way this gets framed as the "does Selwood duck?" debate is an absurdity. It's not a "debate" if there's an objective answer to the question. There are right and wrong answers, and it's not like the right answer is particularly hard to understand. He has a shrugging technique that is within the rules. People don't get to "have an opinion" on that, they either engage with reality and accept it as a basic fact or they don't, in which case they openly declare themselves to be an utter moron.
More often than not it draws him a free kick however. Its this fact that opposition supporters seem to be blinded by. If he simply shrugged the tackle and kept going without the added free kick I doubt anyone would care.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

For all the Hawks inbred supporters grow a brain and see the technique for what it is, an evasive move to get out of a TACKLE...not to draw a free

Clueless little sheeps

i actually think the arm raise is sometimes used by joel to simply draw a free. the one against hawthorn last week that resulted in a goal from a 50 was not an attempt to break the tackle and keep going - in my opinion, at least.

im fine with it, and i think its smart play. and yes, he sometimes does use it to break a tackle. but it is also a neat way of getting an unpressured kick, and is sometimes used by joel in that way.

Luv the way that the GFC board has always been open about threads... but it takes a Hawks Coach to come out and basically lie about Selwood and his concussion status to cause us to lock out opposition posters - for now anyway.

We really are in their heads.

Funny and desperate s**t.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back