Chris Scotts coaching

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I cant think of a club that over rates its talent more than Geelong.
They have the biggest rose coloured glasses in the comp

We don’t, you do. The tipsters/punters who have us favourites do.
I didn’t tip us this week and I’ve never gone against us as ‘favourites’
We are getting overrated atm for sure, how people still tip us to win games in our current state has me stumped.
The hawks last week was especially funny, how much credit did they get for beating us? Was unbelievable.

Anyway we have been preliminary finalists the last 2 years. We aren’t bad but right now with the current team we have available we are quite average. By the time we get players we need back it could be all too late anyway.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
We don’t, you do. The tipsters/punters who have us favourites do.
I didn’t tip us this week and I’ve never gone against us as ‘favourites’
We are getting overrated atm for sure, how people still tip us to win games in our current state has me stumped.
The hawks last week was especially funny, how much credit did they get for beating us? Was unbelievable.

Anyway we have been preliminary finalists the last 2 years. We aren’t bad but right now with the current team we have available we are quite average. By the time we get players we need back it could be all too late anyway.
Nope.

Smedts_2

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Cats fans been fapping all pre season about the "holy trinity "(lolol) and how a gf appearance is "in the bag"

Which ones? I don’t think that’s remotely true.

their defence is bottom 4 worthy

It certainly is with our best 2 talls injured… Not sure too many teams have enough depth to cover the injuries we’ve had – particularly after Lonergan and Mackie retired.

Overall an old side , plenty of foot soldiers with not much In the way of quality youth

We’ve fielded a younger side than Freo has every game this year. You’re apparently a “rebuilding” side, incidentally.

I get the point about quality youth – there are certainly some question marks but the remainder of the noise in your post lessens the point.

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought his burial of Clarkson’s comments was masterful.

I can see why he’s rated as an intelligent coach.

My main criticism is his intelligence allows him opportunity to be a little dishonest at times. Underneath his calm exterior there’s a passive aggressive emotional outburst waiting to happen. These two traits mean he’s able to rationalise his anger quite easily, and that rubs people the wrong way.

Furthermore, his emphasis on individual talent and gaining a technical advantage must feel a little disheartening to their role players. He’s happy to exchange a feeling of honour for an advantage.

For any intelligent/tactical style of coach, I feel they sometimes miss the point when it comes to the more simple aspects of human emotion. This is all I can point to, as he’s clearly a smart coach overall.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Which ones? I don’t think that’s remotely true.

It certainly is with our best 2 talls injured… Not sure too many teams have enough depth to cover the injuries we’ve had – particularly after Lonergan and Mackie retired.

We’ve fielded a younger side than Freo has every game this year. You’re apparently a “rebuilding” side, incidentally.

I get the point about quality youth – there are certainly some question marks but the remainder of the noise in your post lessens the point.

Ha! Let them believe what they want, you can come up with valid points all you like but they’ll enjoy the pot shots no matter how incorrect they are.

My main criticism is his intelligence allows him opportunity to be a little dishonest at times. Underneath his calm exterior there’s a passive aggressive emotional outburst waiting to happen. These two traits mean he’s able to rationalise his anger quite easily, and that rubs people the wrong way.

Furthermore, his emphasis on individual talent and gaining a technical advantage must feel a little disheartening to their role players. He’s happy to exchange a feeling of honour for an advantage.

For any intelligent/tactical style of coach, I feel they sometimes miss the point when it comes to the more simple aspects of human emotion. This is all I can point to, as he’s clearly a smart coach overall.

I think you’re onto something there.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Can we put to bed this frankly f***en hilarious illusion that Geelong fans just assumed we’d win the comp this year?

Pretty much every single poster here that ISNT just stirring s**t has had the same view: that fit and firing, our midfield (which has had 0 games with each of the three stars + Duncan) is probably the best in the comp but that we have two big holes in the backline to fill (which has grown to 4 in case no one noticed the absence of Taylor and Henderson) and we still have an ordinary ruck rotation.

To a man, we’ve all pretty much said that yes, our midfield gives us a chance, but still a lot of things need to go right.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Can we put to bed this frankly f***en hilarious illusion that Geelong fans just assumed we’d win the comp this year?

Pretty much every single poster here that ISNT just stirring s**t has had the same view: that fit and firing, our midfield (which has had 0 games with each of the three stars + Duncan) is probably the best in the comp but that we have two big holes in the backline to fill (which has grown to 4 in case no one noticed the absence of Taylor and Henderson) and we still have an ordinary ruck rotation.

To a man, we’ve all pretty much said that yes, our midfield gives us a chance, but still a lot of things need to go right.

Haha that ain’t going to happen no matter what we say. Just going to have to deal with most fans being nuffy’s.
They’ll tip us, bet on us than bag us coz WE got ahead of ourselves.

Pumpernickel

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2015
Ready to be grilled and smacked with beetroot dip.
AFL Club
Geelong

They, being the media perhaps but to say supporters, hardly.

We have the most pulverising, unlikable 3 players and a coach that make Geelong a fairly easy target , although they do make a rod for their own backs, they make it really easy for opposition supporters to hate them.
Selwood - say no more.
Danger - loves the spotlight, has his head everywhere, media darling.
Ablett - WAS a great player, but he’s an over the hill former great who’s body is, not surprisingly letting hm down constantly due to his age.
Scott - way over the top emotional as a player and coach. Says a lot of big words whilst at the same time saying nothing at all.
Geelong has been up and about for a long time, it’s the old tall poppy syndrome which just adds fuel to the fire, They should of bottomed out by now but they haven’t. It’s shits people, so when they can celebrate anything negative about the cats, they will take every opportunity.

Rose coloured glasses, pop over the Geelong board and have a look a version 3 of the Chris Scott thread, it’s never ending Roast of a coach that has brought us ulimate success and avoided (so far) a serious drop down the ladder it is an ongoing s**t fight and paints anything but a rosey picture for the club and it’s future until CS has been given the arse.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
With no ruckman and their two key backs out, plus half a team of under 50-gamers, I thought the cats would get spanked. To fight back from 5 goals down to be ahead by 2-3 goals with ~10 minutes to go was an enormous feat for a very young list.

The defensive organisation displayed the coaching ability, with two KPDs out, the backline still functioned. Even the forwardline is being more efficient, I could have sworn the same Geelong forward line used to have the worst I50 conversion rates, now it has one of the best even though Hawkins hasn't been playing well?

It was the lack of a ruckman that killed them.

Nobody is going to want to play them in the finals if Dangerfield, Ablett and Selwood are fit with a functioning ruckman. (should they make it).

Who cares what Scott's external persona is, the players don't and that's all that matters. They probably like seeing him passionate about free kicks and his players being abused in the press.

What Clarkson did was awfully stupid, as well as factually incorrect and has put enormous pressure on his own player Puopolo far more than it will affect Selwood.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Josh Kennedy didn't play for us and Jack Darling kicked 2 in the last quarter.

Henderson and Taylor are big outs but we got 6 goals from LeCras/Ryan, 5 from midfielders and one from Naitanui. A forward line of Waterman/Darling/Ryan/Rioli/Cripps/LeCras shouldn't be stretching a team that much.

With no ruckman and their two key backs out, plus half a team of under 50-gamers, I thought the cats would get spanked. To fight back from 5 goals down to be ahead by 2-3 goals with ~10 minutes to go was an enormous feat for a very young list.

The defensive organisation displayed the coaching ability, with two KPDs out, the backline still functioned. Even the forwardline is being more efficient, I could have sworn the same Geelong forward line used to have the worst I50 conversion rates, now it has one of the best even though Hawkins hasn't been playing well?
Yep symptomatic of Stephen Wells. He knows how to find defenders alright.
The conversion rate is most definitely true. Polar opposite to last season.

I don’t think Hawkins has been playing badly. The 3rd quarter is the fastest we’ve moved the ball all season, he got a few 1v1 and won nearly all of them. 3 crucial goals. He’s an easy target for the uninitiated but when he appears to have no impact it is usually because of how and/or how slowly we’ve moved the ball to him.
It was the lack of a ruckman that killed them.

Nobody is going to want to play them in the finals if Dangerfield, Ablett and Selwood are fit with a functioning ruckman. (should they make it).

Who cares what Scott's external persona is, the players don't and that's all that matters. They probably like seeing him passionate about free kicks and his players being abused in the press.

What Clarkson did was awfully stupid, as well as factually incorrect and has put enormous pressure on his own player Puopolo far more than it will affect Selwood.
At first I thought so too but watching again they didn’t score too many goals from ruck dominance. Lots on turnover.

I'd like to see you expand on this. Exactly how does Geelong / its supporters over rate its talent? Are you confusing this with optimism?

Easy to make glib, cliche statements. The vast majority of Cats supporters on BF have realistic expectations.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
I'd like to see you expand on this. Exactly how does Geelong / its supporters over rate its talent? Are you confusing this with optimism?

Easy to make glib, cliche statements. The vast majority of Cats supporters on BF have realistic expectations.
200w.webp

Hook line and sinker

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Without doubt the most overrated side in it , bar none.
Cats fans been fapping all pre season about the "holy trinity "(lolol) and how a gf appearance is "in the bag"
But all this circle jerking by cats fans, management and the media glossed over a few simple facts-
their defence is bottom 4 worthy
Poor depth outside their top liners
The holy trinity (again lol) is just Geelong wank-have been shown up by hawthorn and now wc - 2 teams with bottom 8 midfields
Gaz is injury prone , be lucky to play 15 games
Hawkins is past it, they'd be Owen 3 if it wasn't for Menzel (who amazinglythey tried to punt last trade period)
Overall an old side , plenty of foot soldiers with not much In the way of quality youth

Think Chris Scott s coaching of Geelong this year will determine just how good he really is(I actually rate the bloke) has kept a very overrated but ultimately run of the mill Geelong side 'thereabouts' for a few years now.
See how he goes now the cats rate themselves true flag favourites

Which Geelong supporters thought a GF appearance was 'in the bag'?

Do you really think 'the holy trinity' was cooked up, or is appreciated by Geelong supporters or the football club?

You should probably find something more constructive to do than getting worked up over things you have created in your own imagination.

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

Fantastic post, agreed entirely.

Continued from the Geelong board.

What's the consensus from other clubs on our coach? I personally believe he has no flapping idea what he's doing. Like none at all. That it's all a roll of the dice with no straight thinking and I could do better! Where not allowed to be reasonably critical of him on our board, so it would be great to hear some impartial opinions.

I had him somewhere as 3-4th best coach in the league. Now have him possibly just above Bucks (who constantly outplays him ironically).

Plays too many talls, doesnt hold players accountable, plays an unappealing style of footy etc Those are my issues. Last 3 games we have played good for 10 minutes and almost won the games off that. Meaning we're a fair bit better than we actually played, literally lazy and don't care, dont want the win. Makes the fans sick.

His brother had North playing almost identical. They were also beating top 8 sides and losing to bottom 8 sides for years. Obviously a lot of these specific issues can be directly related to the coach.

So where does he stand amongst the other coaches and primarily why is he paralleling his brother in his lists performances?

I know you and I have our fun, but, I did a thread a while ago comparing Scott to Hardwick and while there was some debate on it, you can no doubt know what the cats fans were saying. I understand he has maintained consistent results, but, while I am not sold on his coaching, I question more what you have given up pick wise in the last few years to maintain your ladder position. There's bigger questions to be asked other than can Chris Scott coach. That's my take on it anyway.

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Why was it stupid? And how was it factually incorrect? At least Clarkson has the courage to talk about it when none else does and he was happy to tip Poppy in as well.

I did love his claim that he's just concerned for Joel's welfare, and in the next breath excuse the deliberate knee to the head because Sicily hadn't been paid an earlier free kick.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Why was it stupid? And how was it factually incorrect? At least Clarkson has the courage to talk about it when none else does and he was happy to tip Poppy in as well.
He said Selwood had had 'something like 10 concussions'. Which is not just being slightly wrong, it's designed to be misleading and exaggerated.

The arm shrug and dropping knees to draw high contact is an issue, but it's an umpiring issue, they shouldn't pay a free kick for it and it's not a health issue because players aren't being concussed by tackles which start low but slip higher. Selwood would still shrug the arm to throw off the tackler whether he got a free kick or not. Puopolo's movement is worse because he almost always goes to ground to draw the free kicks. If he goes to ground and doesn't get the free kick it will be holding the ball.

He's put pressure on his own player (who he coaches every week) though he was trying to do that to a player who they play against twice a year.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He said Selwood had had 'something like 10 concussions'. Which is not just being slightly wrong, it's designed to be misleading and exaggerated.

The arm shrug and dropping knees to draw high contact is an issue, but it's an umpiring issue, they shouldn't pay a free kick for it and it's not a health issue because players aren't being concussed by tackles which start low but slip higher. Selwood would still shrug the arm to throw off the tackler whether he got a free kick or not. Puopolo's movement is worse because he almost always goes to ground to draw the free kicks. If he goes to ground and doesn't get the free kick it will be holding the ball.

He's put pressure on his own player (who he coaches every week) though he was trying to do that to a player who they play against twice a year.

1/ it didn’t seem to put too much pressure on Poppy yesterday - he was clearly one of the Hawks best

2/ yes it is an umpiring issue

3/ AFL rules prevent Clarko coming out and saying the umpires stink, so he has to hide behind some other bullshit issue - notwithstanding it is true - to get his point across.

Back