Chris Scotts coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I know you and I have our fun, but, I did a thread a while ago comparing Scott to Hardwick and while there was some debate on it, you can no doubt know what the cats fans were saying. I understand he has maintained consistent results, but, while I am not sold on his coaching, I question more what you have given up pick wise in the last few years to maintain your ladder position. There's bigger questions to be asked other than can Chris Scott coach. That's my take on it anyway.
And thats a very reasonable question.

Real test of the clubs depth over the next month.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
1/ it didn’t seem to put too much pressure on Poppy yesterday - he was clearly one of the Hawks best

2/ yes it is an umpiring issue

3/ AFL rules prevent Clarko coming out and saying the umpires stink, so he has to hide behind some other bullshit issue - notwithstanding it is true - to get his point across.

I didn't watch the game and haven't seen a replay, but Poppy's ducking was mentioned in the review I read. He had 17 disposals, four were frees for. He's had more high tackle free kicks than Selwood this year on about half the amount of possessions. Poppy's at the end of his career and has a lot to lose if he stops getting free kicks for his ducking. If Selwood stopped getting free kicks for high tackles it would probably affect his disposal efficiency by about 2%.

The only way this isn't stupid by Clarko is if he thought Poppy needed to feel some pressure and if he was good, as you say, perhaps it worked that way.

I notice you ignored the part about being deliberately factually incorrect.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I didn't watch the game and haven't seen a replay, but Poppy's ducking was mentioned in the review I read. He had 17 disposals, four were frees for. He's had more high tackle free kicks than Selwood this year on about half the amount of possessions. Poppy's at the end of his career and has a lot to lose if he stops getting free kicks for his ducking. If Selwood stopped getting free kicks for high tackles it would probably affect his disposal efficiency by about 2%.

The only way this isn't stupid by Clarko is if he thought Poppy needed to feel some pressure and if he was good, as you say, perhaps it worked that way.

I notice you ignored the part about being deliberately factually incorrect.

I suggest you watch the game :rolleyes:

Chris Scott says 3 concussions - these are the ones I found on a quick google search

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...cussed-against-fremantle-20170710-gx86u5.html
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/466e637ee6db01a506c8e4b4f62ae994

That is 5. I guess one of Scott or Clarkson is full of s**t?

And thats a very reasonable question.

Real test of the clubs depth over the next month.

It’s the picks and players you’ve given away the last 3-4 years v players and picks brought in v results achieved. Only you guys can truely answer that.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
ch has beThere is no imagination at Geelong, it's very staid and the coaching lacks any sort of risk taking whatsoever. It doesn't help that the coaen handed a team after pre season that is totally under prepared in comparison to other clubs. Injuries are at a maximum and we're only three rounds into the year! The Cats still can't start a game and the depth of talent is thin on the ground and the Ablett return has thrown the mid filed chemistry right out of whack! Scott is in for a long year! It's going to be a bumpy ride Cats fans!
I suggest you watch the game :rolleyes:

Chris Scott says 3 concussions - these are the ones I found on a quick google search

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...cussed-against-fremantle-20170710-gx86u5.html
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/466e637ee6db01a506c8e4b4f62ae994

That is 5. I guess one of Scott or Clarkson is full of s**t?

4 actually if we are nit-picking.
And how many of those games led him to not return to play?
And not one was related to the issue at hand, the high tackle that he slips out of.
So much for protecting the game and the head.

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
-Not playing a ruck against one of the best in the comp atm, then allowing said ruckmen to be BOG
-Running GAJ into the absolute dirt by playing him in the midfield for the entire game.

Pure ******* brilliance from Scott :thumbsu:

-Not playing a ruck against one of the best in the comp atm, then allowing said ruckmen to be BOG
-Running GAJ into the absolute dirt by playing him in the midfield for the entire game.

Natanui BOG? Are you kidding?

He didn't even get a coaches vote.
you won the hitouts convincingly in the 2nd half yet shaded the clearances by 1 in that timeframe.

Injuries were the only reason his no ruck tactic didn't get rewarded.

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
He didn't even get a coaches vote.
you won the hitouts convincingly in the 2nd half yet shaded the clearances by 1 in that timeframe.

Injuries were the only reason his no ruck tactic didn't get rewarded.

Scotts abysmal ToG management and positioning contributed significantly to the GAj injury. Why did he go with an undersized backline? Why wouldn't you choose to Ruck against a very quality ruck combo? was he just assuming the midfield could shark taps...? Absolute disrespect to NN/Lycett and got punished for it.

I think the Geelong players battled very well in spite of it, and I love Gaj/Selwood/Danger combo but Scott lost the match at the selection table and got out coached for most of the game.

Nobody can answer vague hypotheticals.

Yeah, okay, maybe let the adults talk and you go snort a condom through your nose or whatever it is you kids do now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotts abysmal ToG management and positioning contributed significantly to the GAj injury. Why did he go with an undersized backline? Why wouldn't you choose to Ruck against a very quality ruck combo? was he just assuming the midfield could shark taps...? Absolute disrespect to NN/Lycett and got punished for it.
Defence. Simple. Lonergan and Mackie have retired and Henderson and Taylor are injured. It's enforced atm. That undersized defence kept you to 59 points until injuries beset the team. So not exactly leaking like a sieve, first half you scored goals from open play and on the run so again not really matter of defensive system failure.

We didn't get punished for it at all. Barring the last 10 minutes most Eagles goals were on turnover and we broke even in clearances despite lacking a ruck.
Last 10 minutes we were 3 men down and ran out of legs. BTW Lycett was beaten, we got on top whenever he rucked and NicNat didn't get a coaches vote. So yeah the gamble only failed due to injuries not it being a poor plan.

Nonsense. We've come off a 6 day break, travelling interstate and lost a player in the 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter. Hard to manage ToG with 2 fewer rotations. Having also ended R1 and R2 with fewer than 22 men.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
With no ruckman and their two key backs out, plus half a team of under 50-gamers, I thought the cats would get spanked. To fight back from 5 goals down to be ahead by 2-3 goals with ~10 minutes to go was an enormous feat for a very young list.

The defensive organisation displayed the coaching ability, with two KPDs out, the backline still functioned. Even the forwardline is being more efficient, I could have sworn the same Geelong forward line used to have the worst I50 conversion rates, now it has one of the best even though Hawkins hasn't been playing well?

It was the lack of a ruckman that killed them.

Nobody is going to want to play them in the finals if Dangerfield, Ablett and Selwood are fit with a functioning ruckman. (should they make it).

Who cares what Scott's external persona is, the players don't and that's all that matters. They probably like seeing him passionate about free kicks and his players being abused in the press.

What Clarkson did was awfully stupid, as well as factually incorrect and has put enormous pressure on his own player Puopolo far more than it will affect Selwood.
the problem is we have fit ruckman on the list. none of them are injured. Scott just choose not to play them. It was a ridiculous move that he has tried numerous times before and it always sepctacularly fails. Yet he keeps trying it.

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
You'd better get a wriggle on then. No mention of how none of them come about because of the action Clarkson is whining about?

Cut his head open going back with the pack last year.
Knocked out in a Ballantyne bump/tackle (legal)
Farray Ray was two guys going low for the ball.
Hawks 2012 was colliding with two Hawks.

So the midget was full of s**t. Well that surprises no one.

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, wow, good one I guess.

Well sometimes the adults like to have a convo. If you don’t like it, leave. All you end up doing is spamming the thread. I understand, it’s your club and it’s personal, but, all clubs go through this stuff. Get some maturity and learn to deal with criticism of your club. No club is immune from it.

Clarko naming Selwood in his concussion argument was clearly clever bullshit by him. Doesn’t change the fact that ducking now has the attention of the AFL and hopefully the umps.

Clarko was clever in that he poked the bear and the bear got angry.

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Well sometimes the adults like to have a convo. If you don’t like it, leave. All you end up doing is spamming the thread. I understand, it’s your club and it’s personal, but, all clubs go through this stuff. Get some maturity and learn to deal with criticism of your club. No club is immune from it.

Do you have anything sensible to reply with? Can we rewind to the part of the convo before you dropped your bundle?

Do you have anything sensible to reply with? Can we rewind to the part of the convo before you dropped your bundle?

I was talking with Gavin and co. You interjected with your usual nothing. You quoted me, not the other way.
Feel free to go back to the original point of mine where i was suggesting there’s other things in play, not necessarily just Scotts coaching which is the OP. You go from there hey.....

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
No denying Scott struck gold getting Dangerfield at the end of 2015, that season we finished 10th and were quite average all year, Dangers arrival along with Henderson and S. Selwood reguvinated the team shirt term, gave guys like Enright, Bartel, Mackie, Lonergan, Taylor, Selwood etc reason to believe to go all out for a big 2016. 2017 was again a pretty positive year but the retirements of Mackie and Lonergan is very telling right now and the injuries are mounting up.

It’s no secret that as soon as Taylor, Selwood and Dangerfield drop off our fall will be quick and fast, Gaz has this year and next year at most left, very short term he is.

He’s done well to keep us relevant but his finals record since the ‘11 flag is telling, he can’t coach in finals/can’t get the team up for it.

Back