FTA-TV On the Couch 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I always thought Lyon was pretty solid on Access All Areas with Barrett. I thought that used to be one of the better shows because they got through most of the same discussions that Monday 360 and On the Couch got through in 10 minutes inatead of an hour. Dunstall was the best one on the show. King has his pros and cons but wasn't too bad. So I think overall they took out the best two and kept the worst two. Browny's okay but if I have to hear "the great Leigh Matthew's" all season, I'd almost be tempted to switch over to Q and A.

Yeah, enjoyed this show (Barrett notwithstanding) over the past couple of years as a good concise wrapup of the weekend. Bartel as a replacement is OK but a bit dull.

I feel that On The Couch is still a good show but it's lost what made it so unique. I liked the old format of Gerard, an ex-coach and a journalist. Now it's blended in to other shows with its quest for cringey segments like the best kick etc. I think I preferred last year's line-up as while I know King gets a lot of stick on here (and with some justification at times) but at least he brings a different perspective to it with his Champion Data tie-in.

Roos is not likeable but geez he's got a footy brain. Love his insights, his view on Carlton two weeks ago were spot on. Brown doesn't research at all and goes with cliches. All bluff. Lyon I'm indifferent will give a view but tends to know that his view isn't respected greatly by the footy industry.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

I feel that On The Couch is still a good show but it's lost what made it so unique. I liked the old format of Gerard, an ex-coach and a journalist. Now it's blended in to other shows with its quest for cringey segments like the best kick etc. I think I preferred last year's line-up as while I know King gets a lot of stick on here (and with some justification at times) but at least he brings a different perspective to it with his Champion Data tie-in.
Its just tired I think. Dunno if I have missed even one show in years, last night I switched channels at 8pm half way through and watched some show on the Nazi's. Only so much football bullshit one can take in.

His faux aggressiveness is getting really tiring too.
The ooh yeah segment is boring, JBrown has re-explained the schtick every episode now
This is a production issue, i doubt anyone on set feels comfortable with this childish garbage. The new producer of the show has turned a very good informative format into a crock of shyte.

On a side note does anyone know when Roos is due to run out of bath water.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown is a waste of space and he gets pissed off if Lyon gives a different opinion to him. It’s like Brown has spent a couple of days memorising what he has to say.

Roos is good, excellent analysis of Dees defensive set up and how Hawks exploited it.

And last night was better without a guest

I can understand people being critical of their sillier segments but its an hour long show, they spend 30 minutes doing a deep dive on structure and strategy etc, the lighter stuff helps keep the show going otherwise it'd get a bit dry.

What's the go with Brown's obsession with Joe Daniher? I can't say I remember it, but did they have an onfield run-in in a game or something?

Brown seems to dream up some sort of criticism (and usually a very trivial one) of him in every second On The Couch show. And I can't ever recall watching an Essendon game, with Daniher playing and Brown commentating, where he doesn't seem to rip into him for something.

Last night, he criticised him for his body language, goalkicking and also found some footage of one supposedly poor attempt at a lead, and banged on about it as though it was one of the worst pieces of play of all time. (And it was doubtful it was all that bad anyway, or anything that you wouldn't see every forward do numerous times in every match.)

Last edited:
I've always found Gerard annoying and Brown is hopeless. Garry is a good addition , one of the best analysts IMO. I think Roos breaks down tactics well even though he seems like a bit of a whinger in general.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back