Will/Should clubs raid Richmond's list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I want to compliment the Tiges on their depth, but is it too deep?

Excluding the superstars, the Richmond rotation of forwards could include:
Naish
Higgins
Chol
Stengle
Graham
Balta
Baker
Moore
Drummond
Bolton
Townsend
Short
Castagna
Lloyd
Caddy
Rioli
Lambert
Butler
Edwards

and there also is Miles, C. Ellis, Menadue

After a flag, player managers can expect to see their player's wages go up. Some players want more opportunity.

There are strategies that clubs can use to combat this, and Richmond are in a fine position to do so, but normally something will give.

Wouldn't mind Townsend back, and we really could have used one or two of any number of small forwards on their list able to apply defensive pressure last year. We've addressed it in different ways though, and I wouldn't like the idea of getting the ones they want the least.

Our cap situation probably means we'd have to swap value in players anyway. I dont hate them but it might be a strategic mistake to help them strengthen their list, talls for example.

Wouldn't mind Townsend back, and we really could have used one or two of any number of small forwards on their list able to apply defensive pressure last year. We've addressed it in different ways though, and I wouldn't like the idea of getting the ones they want the least.

Our cap situation probably means we'd have to swap value in players anyway. I dont hate them but it might be a strategic mistake to help them strengthen their list, talls for example.

It is unusual for top clubs to trade, but it can happen.

Sydney got both McGlyn and Kennedy off of the Hawks. Or via free agency, Buddy to the Swans. And then Mitchell to the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd is Lloyd. C. Ellis is C. Ellis. Miles is Miles. Conca is Conca. Not many teams would want them.

Short is getting a go down back. Higgins and Bolton are young and getting a go as small forwards.

Useful players other clubs will probably look around: Menadue, Moore, Markov and Garthwaite.

Possibly - but only as a tactical measure to ensure Richmond don’t snag another flag.

Anyone who knows anything about football will tell you that the Tigers’ list is full of spuds. However - through structure/game-plan/unexplainable sorcery, said list won a premiership. Surely removing any singular player from this environment would not only expose said player for their complete inability, but would also break up that working Richmond system.

If each club targets just 1 or 2 players (purely to run around in their seconds), any chance of continued Richmond success is nullified.

Last edited:
I'd say 4: cotchin rance dustin riewoldt. the rest are roleplayers but the system worked

I think there's a few more than just those 4 but you're not far off the mark. Players like Rioli, Graham, Astbury, Vlastuin, Grimes are more than just role players but your point is still valid for a majority of our team.

Would players such as Butler, Castagna, Townsend even Lambert get a game at another decent team? They would if the game plan was built around defensive pressure and hard up and down running but certainly not because of their skills alone.

Good thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back