Should all ground dimensions be the same?

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL is the only football code to play on different sized grounds. Look at all the main football codes - Soccer, Rugby League, NFL etc. They all play on an identical sized ground.

Is it time the AFL got with the times and followed suit? Game plans are being developed more and more that revolve around the size of the ground and it is getting a bit ridiculous.

This is specifically the case and creates an advantage for MCG tenants, who have the luxury of developing a game plan suited to the size of the MCG, knowing full well the Grand Final will be played there.

I am proposing that every ground used for AFL have the same dimensions. This will only be possible by making every ground as skinny as Kardinia Park and every ground as short as the SCG.

I think this is the fairest solution.

The AFL is the only football code to play on different sized grounds. Look at all the main football codes - Soccer, Rugby League, NFL etc. They all play on an identical sized ground.
Wrong

Oh good, more whinging about how MCG tenants will win automatic flags every year from now on.

Or we could just demand that our teams learn to win regardless of venue?
Maybe 10 years ago it was possible, however these days with zoning first of all you have to win enough games to make the finals so being a non Vic team for example there's no point in designing a gameplan that works at MCG as you will only play there a few times a year so the gameplan might suit the MCG, but doesn't suit your home ground so you won't win enough games to make the finals.

The AFL is the only football code to play on different sized grounds. Look at all the main football codes - Soccer, Rugby League, NFL etc. They all play on an identical sized ground...
No they don't.

Opening the thread with a factually incorrect statement is the perfect way to lose the debate. May as well close the thread.

Is it time the AFL got with the times and followed suit? Game plans are being developed more and more that revolve around the size of the ground and it is getting a bit ridiculous.

This is specifically the case and creates an advantage for MCG tenants, who have the luxury of developing a game plan suited to the size of the MCG, knowing full well the Grand Final will be played there.

I am proposing that every ground used for AFL have the same dimensions. This will only be possible by making every ground as skinny as Kardinia Park and every ground as short as the SCG.

Jesus.

Every game should be played at the MCG.

One game on Thursday night.

One game on Friday night.

Three games on Saturday.

Three games on Sunday.

One game on Monday night.

Simples.

Life isn't fair. Sport isn't fair. The AFL isn't fair.

Most soccer fields, especially in England are varied in width, all the NRL grounds are different sizes as well, again they may have different widths but also different sized in goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.openplay.co.uk/blog/premiership-football-pitch-sizes-2014-to-2015

Soccer and AFL grounds vary.

FIFA had size range definitions for ground sizes and as long as you are within those size ranges you are fine.

Rugby & NFL grounds can’t vary as the basis of those games is to move the ball to the end of the field. So the field lengths must be the same or the entire nature of the game is changed. It’s like saying all 100m running tracks are the same length.

https://www.openplay.co.uk/blog/premiership-football-pitch-sizes-2014-to-2015

Soccer and AFL grounds vary.

Rugby & NFL grounds can’t vary as the basis of those games is to move the ball to the end of the field. So the field lengths must be the same or the entire nature of the game is changed. It’s like saying all 100m running tracks are the same length.
Actually the In Goal zones for both rugby and nrl vary n size considerably and can and does affect team tactics for kicking into the zones.

Great OP. This is something i have never considered. What is the ideal size for aussie rules football?

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Great OP. This is something i have never considered. What is the ideal size for aussie rules football?

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower
I reckon the MCG is about spot on.

Ty for raising this , Ive campaigned for years how absurd it is in an elite competition that teams play on different sized grounds ea week. Ffs this ain’t a village game no more, we have evolved from the 1800s haven’t we. Can you imagine if every soccer game , tennis match, basketball was on a different scale court or ground , as they say if it sounds ridiculous it generally is . A consistent template of say the MCG should be adopted for all grounds , and there’s no good reason to contend this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back