Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL deal with the Gov is worth $500M, $250M of that put towards the Etihad precinct, there’s money for a southern stand upgrade too.

Whiten oval, mars stadium, Casey fields and Ikon were on the list with Ikon being a big winner.

This deal is dependant on Labor getting re-elected with Mathew Guy already opposing it
Casey Fields is a new ground. Interesting that got funding.

Casey Fields is a new ground. Interesting that got funding.
Casey Fields is an AFLW venue (plus VFL) and given it is in the middle of the second fastest growth area in Melboune a bit of cash to add in more seating makes sense when 6000 people show up with only 400 seats there.

I imagine it'll get a new set of change rooms to allow for 4 teams to be there at the same time for doubleheaders and ~1000 more seats ontop of those changerooms or something.

I would not be surprised, given the victorian government budget is out in two weeks and all these announcements are in the leadup to it, that the Clyde rail extension is (partially) funded, which runs right past casey fields only 80m away from the goal line, they could use a station there.

If they repaired and upgraded local grounds as needed they wouldn't need to fork out so much bloody money. They wait until the clubrooms are beyond repair then think about spending money on them. All local grounds need an upgrade to now to cater for girls football because not too many girls use urinals.

I went to junior finals at Brighton football club last year, brand new facilities, approx 1,000 people there through the course of the day, it appears 2 toilets available to the public is deemed adequate. Not male and female toilets, 2 toilets unisex and there may have been a disabled toilet. There are more toilets inside I am sure, in the change rooms and probably more in the social club which was not open.

Moorabbin, now being worked on after building 5 star facilities down at Seaford, who is going to upkeep Seaford if the Saints move back to Moorabbin?

Casey Fields is an AFLW venue (plus VFL) and given it is in the middle of the second fastest growth area in Melboune a bit of cash to add in more seating makes sense when 6000 people show up with only 400 seats there.

I imagine it'll get a new set of change rooms to allow for 4 teams to be there at the same time for doubleheaders and ~1000 more seats ontop of those changerooms or something.

I would not be surprised, given the victorian government budget is out in two weeks and all these announcements are in the leadup to it, that the Clyde rail extension is (partially) funded, which runs right past casey fields only 80m away from the goal line, they could use a station there.

lighting/scoreboard improvements are going to be a big part of these things Id reckon - the AFL is currently hiring this equipment out.

Dan5kXqU0AAlQna.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But on the serious side, is it 10 or 20 million??

If it was 20, that would surely be enough not only to make the ground the home on AFLW footy, but also enough for 2 or 3 AFL games.
Considering that upgrade would have to include lighting, a fix up of the change rooms/grandstands, perhaps new corporate boxes and extra seating to take the capacity to around 27K.

You've got 2 games at Mars Stadium which only has around 5K seats and a 10K capsity, compared to our ground which has more than double that.

Being an "up to date" facility would surely have it in the mix??? You guys are going to run out of excuses soon

As will the board. The state government have given us the money, yet it is our footy club that decides how we are going to spend it, not the AFL.
Geez the board better not stuff this up....

:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes: Finally you've put something up thats newsworthy!!!

I wish I could like this post 10 times!!

What do you mean finally. :huh:

If it was 20, that would surely be enough not only to make the ground the home on AFLW footy, but also enough for 2 or 3 AFL games.
Considering that upgrade would have to include lighting, a fix up of the change rooms/grandstands, perhaps new corporate boxes and extra seating to take the capacity to around 27K.

You've got 2 games at Mars Stadium which only has around 5K seats and a 10K capsity, compared to our ground which has more than double that.

Being an "up to date" facility would surely have it in the mix??? You guys are going to run out of excuses soon

As will the board. The state government have given us the money, yet it is our footy club that decides how we are going to spend it, not the AFL.

It's $20M.

$10M from the AFL & $10M from the Govt.

It will also be the headquarters for the AFLW.

Just received this email:-

Dear Aphrodite,

We are delighted to inform you that the Victorian State Government will be committing $20M to the redevelopment of Ikon Park.

As part of the Budget package that allows the upgrade of facilities at suburban grounds and local clubs, we welcome the Andrews Government commitment to Ikon Park as the home of AFLW and the long-term home of the Carlton Football Club.

We are incredibly appreciative of the investment that will see a state-of-the-art facility developed at our iconic ground. The Premier Daniel Andrews and his government must be applauded for their investment in Ikon Park and our football club.

As part of the Masterplan, the stands in the south west corner of Ikon Park will be demolished to make way for new training facilities, an education hub and an administration area to cater for the expansion and growth of female football, the broader Carlton Football Club and the wider football community.

Our AFLW players will have access to facilities that are equitable with the facilities that our AFL players have access to, and that is something we are very proud of being able to deliver.

In addition, the State Government support ensures that the premium AFLW games held each season, whether that be the season opener or the grand final, will be played at a facility that will help improve the fan experience and take the women’s game to a whole new level for our players, coaches and fans.

As is also the case with these major re-developments of club facilities, Carlton Football Club will also be contributing to the funding and we look forward to sharing our capital raising plans with our members and key partners.

We also acknowledge the State Government funding is contingent upon Federal Government investment and we will continue to work with the Federal Government to ensure the entire project is delivered.

Once again, we must thank the Victorian Government, Gillon McLachlan and his team at the AFL and the AFL Commission for confirming their belief in our vision for Ikon Park.

We will keep you informed of any further developments.

Go Blues!

Mark LoGiudice
President

Not sure we’ll see senior games there. The money is being spent on infrastructure that is Afl based mainly by the looks. Not really fan and accessibility based. We’d need another grant to improve parking and infrastructure around the ground I would’ve thought. I’m certainly no expert on the matter though.

So the state government is giving 20 mill and the AFL is giving ?

Nothing in any literature has the AFL forking out any money out of their own pocket.

When you’re negotiating 2.5billion dollar broadcasting fees I’m not sure how I feel about the government spending my money in this way if Carlton weren’t given a leg up.....but I’ll take it!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back