Massage, post training recovery etc

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
What do you campaigners do to recover. Stretching, massage etc?

What are parts of your body ache or cause you grief, tension, especially during a massage for example?

cheers campaigners

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
What do you campaigners do to recover. Stretching, massage etc?

What are parts of your body ache or cause you grief, tension, especially during a massage for example?

cheers campaigners

the two you're missing is eating/sleeping. ESPECIALLY sleeping.

I find if i skimp on my sleep, my energy get really low day by day because I haven't recovered and my next workout is s**t.

If you're focusing massage though, my lower back is ****ed a lot of the time. Massaging beats stretching imo, provided your practitioner knows what they're doing.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
the two you're missing is eating/sleeping. ESPECIALLY sleeping.

I find if i skimp on my sleep, my energy get really low day by day because I haven't recovered and my next workout is s**t.

If you're focusing massage though, my lower back is ****** a lot of the time. Massaging beats stretching imo, provided your practitioner knows what they're doing.
cheers mate.

A lot of questions about sleep and diet re recovery are in other threads, hence why I didn't ask. I also made a thread on sleep, it's huge. Obviously what you eat and when you eat it, is too.

More interested in what people do as in stretching, massage and sore body parts.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
cheers mate.

A lot of questions about sleep and diet re recovery are in other threads, hence why I didn't ask. I also made a thread on sleep, it's huge. Obviously what you eat and when you eat it, is too.

More interested in what people do as in stretching, massage and sore body parts.

In that case I'll give my tip on choosing a practitioner. If they know how to release your pecs/teres major/hips/inner abdomen then you are gold.

Myofacial stretching, get a foam roller, use it (while swearing). Find it's quite effective for some areas (esp. upper glute/hip and calves).

Myofacial stretching, get a foam roller, use it (while swearing). Find it's quite effective for some areas (esp. upper glute/hip and calves).
Foam rolling is bullshit it's the swearing that is effective, everyone knows the muscle tension comes out your mouth

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

This. Lacrosse balls are also good.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I’m a remedial massage therapist (Until I finish uni) and even I don’t advocate massage as a recovery tool lol.

Post-workout stretching gets your muscle length back to normal earlier than no stretching but has no effect on DOMS.
Massage post-exercise is almost equally as useless.
Cryotherapy has shown to have benefits for short term performance recovery but not DOMS, icing singular body parts/muscles doesn’t do anything good.
Ultimately sleep, nutrition, mental state and your readiness to perform the activity/workout will dictate how well you recover.

https://www.painscience.com/articles/delayed-onset-muscle-soreness.php

Last edited:

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
I just drink a protein shake and go about my day. I don’t warm down or stretch post-exercise. I’m good to go again the next day. I also sleep 6 hours - if that.

I’m also 24. Let’s see how this holds up when I’m 42 :tearsofjoy:

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I just drink a protein shake and go about my day. I don’t warm down or stretch post-exercise. I’m good to go again the next day. I also sleep 6 hours - if that.

I’m also 24. Let’s see how this holds up when I’m 42 :tearsofjoy:

If you maintain your current routine you’re unlikely to be better or worse than anyone else here in 20 years time.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
If you maintain your current routine you’re unlikely to be better or worse than anyone else here in 20 years time.

What about when I'm 72? :D

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
What about when I'm 72? :D

If the amount of training you’re doing is appropriately scaled to your physical capabilities at that age I don’t see why there would be any issues.

I have loads of issues with my hips and shoulders.

I don't really stretch, I will do certain exercises though for my hips and warm up before a leg session.

I also don't take supplements, I used to think I needed to gulp down a protein shake straight after my gym session but haven't done so in a couple of years and it hasn't affected recovery. I try get all my protein through food.

DapperJong

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I’m a remedial massage therapist (Until I finish uni) and even I don’t advocate massage as a recovery tool lol.

Post-workout stretching gets your muscle length back to normal earlier than no stretching but has no effect on DOMS.
Cryotherapy has shown to have benefits for short term performance recovery but not DOMS, icing singular body parts/muscles doesn’t do anything good.
Ultimately sleep, nutrition, mental state and your readiness to perform the activity/workout will dictate how well you recover.

Is there anything wrong with DOMS though?

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Is there anything wrong with DOMS though?

I would say it is a sign that you were unprepared for the workout/activity.
Do that on a constant basis and you’re bound for injuries, particularly in the activity is very similar (think shin splits, carpal tunnel, tendinopathies).

DapperJong

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I would say it is a sign that you were unprepared for the workout/activity.
Do that on a constant basis and you’re bound for injuries, particularly in the activity is very similar (think shin splits, carpal tunnel, tendinopathies).

What kind of workout are we talking about? if you're doing weight/strength training DOMS are just part and parcel... And if you don't get DOMS you aren't working hard enough.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
What kind of workout are we talking about? if you're doing weight/strength training DOMS are just part and parcel... And if you don't get DOMS you aren't working hard enough.

Any workout or activity.
imo DOMS is a pretty poor indicator of how effective a workout is.
I think you’ll find most advanced trainees rarely, if ever, get DOMS due to the periodisation they use.
Here’s a good start for the discussion
https://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/F...cise_Muscle_Soreness_a_Valid_Indicator.2.aspx

DapperJong

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Any workout or activity.
imo DOMS is a pretty poor indicator of how effective a workout is.
I think you’ll find most advanced trainees rarely, if ever, get DOMS due to the periodisation they use.
Here’s a good start for the discussion
https://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/F...cise_Muscle_Soreness_a_Valid_Indicator.2.aspx

Good read, however there's a few quotes that directly contradict what you're telling me.

Anecdotally, many bodybuilders claim that certain muscles are more prone to soreness than others. They report that some muscles almost never experience DOMS, whereas other muscles almost always experience DOMS after training.

And I never claimed it should be used to measure the effectiveness of a workout even though it may have sounded like that, apologies.

Regardless, I think DOMS is steering away from the OP. I wouldn't even consider DOMS to be worthy of "recovering" from, and would never use massage to try and cure it. I think the OP would be more concerned with niggles, tightness etc. in which i think massage is a great tool.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have loads of issues with my hips and shoulders.

I don't really stretch, I will do certain exercises though for my hips and warm up before a leg session.

I also don't take supplements, I used to think I needed to gulp down a protein shake straight after my gym session but haven't done so in a couple of years and it hasn't affected recovery. I try get all my protein through food.
Start stretching

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
to be honest, most of us campaigners need to stretch not to counter exercise tightness, but more to counter the s**t we do every ******* day. sitting for extending periods, typing on PCs, looking at digital devices, poor posture generally. upper and lower cross syndromes don't occur because of exercise, they occur because of the other s**t we're doing 16-20hrs a day (when we're not sleeping).

adding exercise to the above is where injuries will generally happen, not necessarily because of the exercise itself. adding load to dysfunction is a recipe for trouble.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
to be honest, most of us campaigners need to stretch not to counter exercise tightness, but more to counter the s**t we do every ******* day. sitting for extending periods, typing on PCs, looking at digital devices, poor posture generally. upper and lower cross syndromes don't occur because of exercise, they occur because of the other s**t we're doing 16-20hrs a day (when we're not sleeping).

adding exercise to the above is where injuries will generally happen, not necessarily because of the exercise itself. adding load to dysfunction is a recipe for trouble.
Brilliantly said.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

definitely my approach. I have back issues from poor posture and working on a PC 12 hours a day so i have to do stretches.. normal gym work i wouldn't do any stretching at all, its not really needed.

freofc1994

All Australian
Sep 15, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Giants, Chelsea

My hip flexor is tight as, pain through the front of my hip and lower back on the R side. What do you reckon in terms of massage to release some of the muscles there? Dry needling I've been considering too.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
My hip flexor is tight as, pain through the front of my hip and lower back on the R side. What do you reckon in terms of massage to release some of the muscles there? Dry needling I've been considering too.

Any form of manual therapy will leave you feeling better for a few days, but it doesn’t remove the causative factor that lead to the issue in the first place.
Several of the hip flexors are also un-needleable unless you feel like having a needle put through several abdominal organs on its way there.

Back