The Bigfooty 2018 Western Conference First Round Playoffs Thread

Who gonna win the West

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

5acee989146e7120008b46a9-1200.jpg

5acf0427146e711f008b46a2-1200.jpg

Matchup previews to follow courtesy of Bigfooty Basketball Forum experienced and learned posters

Last edited:

blazers.jpg

VS

new-orleans-pelicans-logo-png-new-orleans-pelicans-logo-512.png

#3 SEED PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS VS #6 SEED NEW ORLEANS PELICANS

HEAD 2 HEAD REGULAR SEASON: (Home team in bold)

October 25 2017: POR 103 def NOP 93
Top scorers each team: POR, CJ McCollum 23. NOP D Cousins 39.
Take aways from the game: Portland extended it's regular season home openers to 17 games. CJ McCollum scored 16 of his 23 points in the 4th.
Anthony Davis left the game after 5 minutes with a knee injury.

December 3 2017: NOP 123 def POR 116
Top scorers: POR, D Lillard 29. NOP D Cousins 38
Takes aways from the game:
Anthony Davis did not suit up for the game after being injured the previous game.
The Pelicans led by as many as 19 in the game.
Despite having 4 players in double figures and a season low 4 TO the Blazers failed to convert big plays down the stretch.

January 13, 2017: NOP 119 def Por 113
Top scorers: NOP A Davis 36. Por D Lillard 23
Take aways from the game:
Every Portland starter had double figure points in this game and only CJ McCollum had a negative +/- in this game with -3
The Portland bigs were just no match for Davis and Cousins who combined for 60 points and 28 rebounds, definitely the deciding factor in this game, especially against the rotated bigs Zach Collins and Ed Davis.
Portland took 19 more shots and led almost every statistical box score statistic except for FTA and FTM which they were -11 in FTM and FG%
54.9 vs 44.6
This would be the last game Demarcus Cousins would play against the Blazer and both rosters look very differently in the next game due to the deals made before and on the trade deadline.

March 28, 2018: POR 107 def NOP 103
Top scorers: NOP A Davis 36. POR D Lillard 41
In a complete reversal from the previous game, it was the Pelicans starters that had the upper hand in this game with the bench failing.
The Pelicans had 2 shot attempts in the last 20 seconds to tie or lead the game but both missed eventually sending LIllard to the line for the sealing FT with 2 seconds on the clock.

WHAT TO EXPECT IN THIS SERIES:
If the regular season match ups between both teams is anything to go by these games will be extremely high octane offensively. Watch for the Pelicans to push the pace before the Blazers do to unsettle them early, trying to get the open look in transition and trying to get the open look early in the shot clock.
The Blazers will also do the same eventually. Terry Stotts has a tendency to get all of his starters touches early and then rely on match ups and pace later on in the game. Especially if they either have a clear upper hand with their guard play or if Nurkic has a monster matchup.

The Pelicans will turn the ball over at an almost frustratingly high level in this series with the Blazers having good length on the perimeter and the Pelicans leading the league in pace since the injury to Demarcus Cousins, expect adjustments from game 1 to game 2 though because this just fits into the exact way the Blazers like to play also, and with CJ and Dame handling the ball they can create very quickly.

This is a series of 2 parts, match ups are insanely important all over the court. Expect the Pelicans to start Okafor for at least game 1 to try to neutralise Nurkic on the boards and take him off Davis defensively, also the Pelicans can get caught in traps of switching defensively especially on Lillard, watch for Jrue Holiday to get that assignment for a vast majority fighting over screens at every opportunity.

Part 2 of that is really just who the best top end talent in this series. Portland have the borderline superior bench in terms of all around talent but if the Pelicans bench gets hot, especially from 3 watch for Lillard and CJ to play heavy minutes. You could almost call the top end talent of both teams a wash, we have 2 top 5 MVP candidates on opposing sides whom the offensive burden of both sides will rely on heavily at long stretches during this series.

As strange as this sounds I can guarantee you both fan bases were both silently hoping to play each other in the first round, which should make for good basketball.

WHAT I WANT TO SEE?:
I will try to make this as impartial and unbiased as humanly possible without punching my laptop or my self.
First of all, zero injuries. The fans of both fan bases (and all basketball fans except Kick fans) deserve to see these teams go head to head at full strength. Taking out the Boogie injury the Pelicans have been relatively injury free since the trade deadline and Portland have been the luckiest with injuries this season of all teams.

I'm really looking forward to Anthony Davis and Damian Lillard just going at each other for long stretches. They have a long history of feeling disrespected amongst basketball pundits and fans alike. Both from the same draft Davis went first but Dame won ROTY.
Davis was first selected to and all star team and I think most fans believe Lillard has felt disrespected every time he hasn't made it. I'm sure they have no hard feelings toward each other but this is shaping up as and EPIC dick measuring contest hopefully over 7 games.

I would really love to see the Pelicans sweep but that's bias.

X-FACTORS
NOP:
2 players. Nikola Mirotic and Darius Miller. I am going up and down the Blazers roster and struggling to find the right player to take Mirotic, Aminu jumps off the page to me due to his adequate (I watched him in New Orleans for 4 seasons, he isn't good) but that allows Mirotic to literally take plays off or help on the defensive end.
Darius Miller just because if he finds his midseason form from 3 then he is going to be a handful for the Portland bench and could press Stotts to playing Lillard or McCollum more minutes than he wants to.

POR: The bench, as previously stated. They have the better bench and that could quite well be the deciding factor in this series. If they can hold the fort while rest the main 3 players in Nurkic, Lillard and CJ it will be extremely hard for the Pelicans to attempt to bridge any deficit. If I had to pick one person in particular (which I do peternorth) It's Napier. He allows Dame and CJ to rest longer periods if he is playing well, hopefully for Portland fans he has his working hat on.

PREDICTION:
This will be hands down the best first round series to watch, unless you like defence and in that case piss off back to the Spurs or Jazz team threads.

If I had to predict right now I have to give the edge to the Blazers but it will be in 6. I'm sad now. Son of Skeletor 2006_Eagles Klyntonius

H6LN4.gif

I just think this series is made for Dame and CJ. The Blazers may just let Davis score 45 a game and try to lock in on absolutely everyone else.

">

Last edited:
View attachment 482480

VS

View attachment 482481

Take aways from the game: Portland extended it's regular season home openers to 17 games. CJ McCollum scored 16 of his 23 points in the 4th.

Anthony Davis did not suit up for the game after being injured the previous game.
Despite having 4 players in double figures and a season low 4 TO the Blazers failed to convert big plays down the stretch.

Every Portland starter had double figure points in this game and only CJ McCollum had a negative +/- in this game with -3
The Portland bigs were just no match for Davis and Cousins who combined for 60 points and 28 rebounds, definitely the deciding factor in this game, especially against the rotated bigs Zach Collins and Ed Davis.
Portland took 19 more shots and led almost every statistical box score statistic except for FTA and FTM which they were -11 in FTM and FG%
54.9 vs 44.6
This would be the last game Demarcus Cousins would play against the Blazer and both rosters look very differently in the next game due to the deals made before and on the trade deadline.

In a complete reversal from the previous game, it was the Pelicans starters that had the upper hand in this game with the bench failing.
The Pelicans had 2 shot attempts in the last 20 seconds to tie or lead the game but both missed eventually sending LIllard to the line for the sealing FT with 2 seconds on the clock.

If the regular season match ups between both teams is anything to go by these games will be extremely high octane offensively. Watch for the Pelicans to push the pace before the Blazers do to unsettle them early, trying to get the open look in transition and trying to get the open look early in the shot clock.
The Blazers will also do the same eventually. Terry Stotts has a tendency to get all of his starters touches early and then rely on match ups and pace later on in the game. Especially if they either have a clear upper hand with their guard play or if Nurkic has a monster matchup.

The Pelicans will turn the ball over at an almost frustratingly high level in this series with the Blazers having good length on the perimeter and the Pelicans leading the league in pace since the injury to Demarcus Cousins, expect adjustments from game 1 to game 2 though because this just fits into the exact way the Blazers like to play also, and with CJ and Dame handling the ball they can create very quickly.

This is a series of 2 parts, match ups are insanely important all over the court. Expect the Pelicans to start Okafor for at least game 1 to try to neutralise Nurkic on the boards and take him off Davis defensively, also the Pelicans can get caught in traps of switching defensively especially on Lillard, watch for Jrue Holiday to get that assignment for a vast majority fighting over screens at every opportunity.

Part 2 of that is really just who the best top end talent in this series. Portland have the borderline superior bench in terms of all around talent but if the Pelicans bench gets hot, especially from 3 watch for Lillard and CJ to play heavy minutes. You could almost call the top end talent of both teams a wash, we have 2 top 5 MVP candidates on opposing sides whom the offensive burden of both sides will rely on heavily at long stretches during this series.

As strange as this sounds I can guarantee you both fan bases were both silently hoping to play each other in the first round, which should make for good basketball.

WHAT I WANT TO SEE?:
I will try to make this as impartial and unbiased as humanly possible without punching my laptop or my self.
First of all, zero injuries. The fans of both fan bases (and all basketball fans except Kick fans) deserve to see these teams go head to head at full strength. Taking out the Boogie injury the Pelicans have been relatively injury free since the trade deadline and Portland have been the luckiest with injuries this season of all teams.

I'm really looking forward to Anthony Davis and Damian Lillard just going at each other for long stretches. They have a long history of feeling disrespected amongst basketball pundits and fans alike. Both from the same draft Davis went first but Dame won ROTY.
Davis was first selected to and all star team and I think most fans believe Lillard has felt disrespected every time he hasn't made it. I'm sure they have no hard feelings toward each other but this is shaping up as and EPIC dick measuring contest hopefully over 7 games.

X-FACTORS
NOP:
2 players. Nikola Mirotic and Darius Miller. I am going up and down the Blazers roster and struggling to find the right player to take Mirotic, Aminu jumps off the page to me due to his adequate (I watched him in New Orleans for 4 seasons, he isn't good) but that allows Mirotic to literally take plays off or help on the defensive end.
Darius Miller just because if he finds his midseason form from 3 then he is going to be a handful for the Portland bench and could press Stotts to playing Lillard or McCollum more minutes than he wants to.

POR: The bench, as previously stated. They have the better bench and that could quite well be the deciding factor in this series. If they can hold the fort while rest the main 3 players in Nurkic, Lillard and CJ it will be extremely hard for the Pelicans to attempt to bridge any deficit. If I had to pick one person in particular (which I do peternorth) It's Napier. He allows Dame and CJ to rest longer periods if he is playing well, hopefully for Portland fans he has his working hat on.

PREDICTION:
This will be hands down the best first round series to watch, unless you like defence and in that case piss off back to the Spurs or Jazz team threads.

If I had to predict right now I have to give the edge to the Blazers but it will be in 6. I'm sad now. Sorry Son of Skeletor 2006_Eagles Klyntonius

I just think this series is made for Dame and CJ. The Blazers may just let Davis score 45 a game and try to lock in on absolutely everyone else.

">

No amount of likes can adequately demonstrate how I feel about your post mate!

View attachment 482480

VS

View attachment 482481

54.9 vs 44.6

WHAT I WANT TO SEE?:

X-FACTORS
NOP:

PREDICTION:

If I had to predict right now I have to give the edge to the Blazers but it will be in 6. I'm sad now. Son of Skeletor 2006_Eagles Klyntonius

H6LN4.gif

">

This has to be the most impressive five minutes you've put together since you convinced those hot twin nurses to give you a sponge bath.

Fun fact: the Pelicans won as many road games (24) as they did home games this season. We don't need no damn home court advantage; have smoothies, will travel.

View attachment 482480

VS

View attachment 482481

54.9 vs 44.6

WHAT I WANT TO SEE?:

X-FACTORS
NOP:

PREDICTION:

H6LN4.gif

">

Nice write up! Except you meant to say Pelicans in 6...

Everyone has been sleeping on New Orleans all year but I feel good about this matchup. Which probably means we'll lose.

Nice write up! Except you meant to say Pelicans in 6...

Everyone has been sleeping on New Orleans all year but I feel good about this matchup. Which probably means we'll lose.
Sadly I didn’t. I almost said 7, which this series has the feeling to be. Both teams feel good about this matchup which is our biggest problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should have probably posed that as a question. He isn't scheduled to return until miday the 2nd round and the assesmant today was to change the timeline?. But NBA twitter has him missing the first round

did not miss these ******* *********** dance cams on league pass. Annoying as *.

Back