List Mgmt. GWS Giants Academy News & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pulling the pin temporarily on this, this is a thread for Giant's fans to internally discuss the subject matter, it's not a place for anything other than friendly argument from posters not willing to brand themselves GWS supporters. That's main board territory.

There has been a lot of reasoned posts so at this point I'm not deleting any, but let's get the thread pointed back at its purpose, internal discussion.

Interesting. On the GWS website there are academy squads - U18, U17 & U16 - named, by region (e.g. Greater Western Sydney, ACT/South Coast etc. The U18s include both Jack Powell & Nathan Richards, who are asterisked as 19 year olds - but not named in cMC's article specifically on U19 squad. Odd.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2017-12-18/giants-academy-phase-2-announcement

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/GWSGiants/Images/news images/ACT Phase 2 Squads 2018.pdf
Powell, Richards and any other u19 player contracted to Canberra Demons will not play NEAFL for Giants.
They will be overage players for academy series and if selected Allies.
Only those overage players not on Demons list will play Giants NEAFL. Demons will not rookie any u18 academy players as they have had enough of Giants getting priority.

Matt Walker the most likely on what we saw last year & his academy participation. Perhaps Jack Powell & Nathan Richards the next likely as overagers. The U18 GWS Academy squad is just 13 this year, so slimmer pickings than previously - partly due to removal of Murray region & partly I think just natural downswing of the pendulum.

Matt Walker the most likely on what we saw last year & his academy participation. Perhaps Jack Powell & Nathan Richards the next likely as overagers. The U18 GWS Academy squad is just 13 this year, so slimmer pickings than previously - partly due to removal of Murray region & partly I think just natural downswing of the pendulum.
Looking like a quieter year for us for sure

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL ...staticfiles/U18 SENIOR ACADEMY SQUAD 2018.pdf
The academy squad for 2018, Powell, Pollock and Richards included as are a few other overagers
From memory I think they can play a maximum of 5 NEAFL games over the year so it will be interesting to see how they develop over the year and with the exposure the overages had last year they will hopefully be more competitive against some of the bigger opposition player

G
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/GWSGiants/Images/staticfiles/U18 SENIOR ACADEMY SQUAD 2018.pdf
The academy squad for 2018, Powell, Pollock and Richards included as are a few other overagers
From memory I think they can play a maximum of 5 NEAFL games over the year so it will be interesting to see how they develop over the year and with the exposure the overages had last year they will hopefully be more competitive against some of the bigger opposition player
given the quiet academy year we will likely see Powell/Richards get drafted

G

given the quiet academy year we will likely see Powell/Richards get drafted

I don’t know tbh. Unless the thinking was that Powell/Richards needed an extra year of development to be draft ready then yes, we’ll consider them this year.

Given how injury affected we were last year, I think we are only going to draft players* who need limited polishing to be able to stick their hands up for senior selection. We don’t have the luxury of the extended list to keep banking on an Academy graduate’s potential if they aren’t already close enough. I wouldn’t be surprised if we keep looking at the slightly older WAFL players (or SANFL) who have had more experience playing in a higher level of competition from a younger age than pick a good kid from Canberra or Wagga or the Hills District.

*talking national draft only. We may have some project players (eg rucks) that we might cotton wool but otherwise the above applies

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what's left in terms of clubs that have a track record of producing multiple AFL talents? Collingullie and Broken Hill?
Broken Hill is not a club. It's a town. North have produced Tex, Cumming and arguably Tiziani on current lists.

Damn. :( The AFL has got our secret little AFL hotspot, Culcairn. No more Sam Schulzs & Jeremy Finlaysons for us.

On a serious note, nice to actually see what the changes made are (hopefully the club knew this previously, but I wouldn't bet on it). GWS just has to work within the restrictions, and there should still be enough to work with what's in the allowed region. In hindsight, I suspect the run of guys who came through in 2015 & 2016 (yes, in the end there were only two years with multiple good players) was just a bit of luck in that they came through at the same time coupled with the wide catchment area. If from now we only get the odd 'good' player & regular role or project players - think years like 2014 & 2017 (Steele in second round + Finlayson in 6th round; Shipley 4th round) - then we still build strong links into the wider area and hopefully build the brand and slowly strengthen the comps in the area for the longer term benefit.

From the ESPN website on the clubs F/S and academy no one else mentioned but I think more names may be mentioned later in the season and it will be interesting to see how many Giants academy kids make the allies squad

Greater Western Sydney

Strong marking 187cm forward Mathew Walker has kicked four goals from his two TAC Cup games and has been touted as a future midfielder. He looms as a late or possible rookie choice.

I think that, regardless of whatever the Vics think, we are only going to have limited recruitment from our Academies through the National Draft.

We’ve got two boys in our U12 team who have started with the Academy. Assuming they stick with it and show promise they will still only have the benefit of playing in the Juniors and, maybe, the U19s Sydney competition on a regular basis. The opportunity to play at School level will be minimal and against a reasonably weak competition. They aren’t likely to have the exposure to regularly consistent high standard games, regardless of the amount of elite coaching that they will receive or rep opportunities.

This is the reality that kids in western Sydney face. We’ll get the occasional kid through and more will play through the rookie system, but it’s nowhere near a free access to talent.

http://neafl.com.au/the-pursuit-of-paech-paying-off-for-canberra-as-young-defender-makes-his-mark/
Another ex academy player making a mark in the NEAFL and the Demons have benefited by picking up some ex academy players which will hopefully continue
I think all the rising stars except one in the NEAFL have either been academy or ex academy players and it will be interesting to see at the end of the year how many academy players are drafted and if any are picked up by the Melbourne clubs or they focus on their own NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back