Analysis How the state of the game has evolved, is the increased rate of injuries a result of of the evolution

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
is pretty average at best these days. This round alone barring Richmond and Collingwood thus far the skill level and standard of play is absolutely horrendous. There hasn't been that many good games 4 rounds in.

Footys going backwards. It's just about pace and clogging up the field rather than skill. The dogs-swans game was close but frantic. Nothing else. Just frantic. Even arguably the games best player was kicking like s**t.

Last edited:

The skills have been declining for years. Merging the Gold Coast/Brisbane and North/St. Kilda will somewhat improve the highlights, the talent pool requires compression.

I don’t like the fact that it’s moving away from strength/contest to a uncontested running game with whoever applies the most pressure wins.
Players like Sam Mitchell would have a really hard time being drafted these days, and stick figures/ Ethiopian running machines like billy hartung and Zac Guthrie are playing best 22 then it has swung too far in my opinion.
Simplify the rules and bring back the physical contest.

The skills have been declining for years. Merging the Gold Coast/Brisbane and North/St. Kilda will somewhat improve the highlights, the talent pool requires compression.
simple. Take out both wings and limit the interchange to 2 players. This'll reduce congestion and reduce the overall AFL lists by 72 players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is pretty average at best these days. This round alone barring Richmond and Collingwood thus far the skill level and standard of play is absolutely horrendous. There hasn't been that many good games 4 rounds in.

Footys going backwards. It's just about pace and clogging up the field rather than skill. The dogs-swans game was close but frantic. Nothing else. Just frantic. Even arguably the games best player was kicking like s**t.

You bet.

Nix the interchange bench. Just have 2 reserves so as to reduce the 3 minute hamster-on-acid cameos, thus ensuring the skilled players have time and space to showcase their football skills.

Recruit footballers with aussie rules (not AFL) football skills and nous - not marathon runners/basketballers. Would Des Tuddenham/Rene Kink/Paul van der Haar/ Peter Hudson/ the Jarman bros et al. get recruited these days? Answer - No. Were they consummate aussie rules footy players? Answer - yes.

You never heard about 'congestion' back when aussie rules footy was played - I mean, 'congestion' is a medical term. Nor 'stoppages' - which describes what should only happen in an under 10's game.

But sell your soul to the TV devil like the AFL has (70% of revenue) and you get Helter Skelter - the murder of aussie rules football.

You can usually tell by watching highlights and clips of the games how good (skillful) they are and very rare to see AFL up there.

Every disposal should be determined by the roll of a dice.

Even number - home team advantage.

Odd number - away team advantage.

I don’t like the fact that it’s moving away from strength/contest to a uncontested running game with whoever applies the most pressure wins.
Players like Sam Mitchell would have a really hard time being drafted these days, and stick figures/ Ethiopian running machines like billy hartung and Zac Guthrie are playing best 22 then it has swung too far in my opinion.
Simplify the rules and bring back the physical contest.

The below the knees rule has made the game a bit urghhhhhh (if that’s a word). it encourages players to be second to the contest and then just tackle to get a quick holding the ball free kick, however that rarely happens as the umpire just lets it go and the game becomes scrappy. Also the interchange needs to go ASAP so we can have 18 vs 18 spectacle again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The game is in terrif shape and modern players have exceptional skills speed power, and the team strategies are fascinating. Not that previous eras were better or worse...I like the evolution and surprising turns the game style takes.

It's a s**t sport compared to what it used to be. It's either repeat entries into a clogged 50 until a free kick or a scrappy snap or the team rebounds and has a 3-1 at the other end where a running race occurs before someone dribbles it over like from the goalsquare with no one within 50m.

It's easily fixed, remove the bench and only have 'subs'. If you come off you are done for the day. Players will get tired and players get slower when they are tired but not shorter. It will encourage forwards to spend more time in the 50.

I hate watching modern footy, Melbourne draft this guy Hogan and all we wanna do is build his tank so he can play midfield. Same with Petracca same with Riewoldt and Franklin etc.
Forward craft is at an all time low. If Plugger was playing now he would be playing as a big bodied midfielder being asked to strip weight and run around more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back