No Oppo Supporters 2018 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That's why I'm not watching them. :p

I'm more selective about which games I tune into these days. I must be getting old.

Wise sounds better ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First goal scorer also a Swan.
That’s going to bite so hard:p

Yep, snobby Eagles fans at their snobby trivia nights at their snobby bowling clubs will be plagued by the words "Sydney Swans" for decades to come.

Great to pinch a win against the Eagles early on. They'll be hard to beat over there.

I still have no idea why anyone thought they'd be bottom four. I don't think they'll be able to sustain footy good enough to make top four, maybe even the top eight. But they 1000000% are better than a lot of the teams in the bottom eight.

Any side with names like Kennedy, Naitanui (over-rated but still), Yeo, McGovern, Shuey, Gaff, LeCras, Hurn... not many elites but all good solid players that aren't likely to be playing in rabble sides getting smashed by 50+ points.

I was stoked to come away with the win, especially given I thought we didn't even play that well.

Apologies if this has been posted Friday (I could not find it)
I love Martin Flanagan's writing. Apologies for long post, but article is behind paywall.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...e-in-the-afl-in-tasmania-20180412-p4z9as.html
North Hobart Football Club goes back to the opening chapter in the history of Australian football. It is older than Collingwood, with 27 senior premierships, 12 state premierships.
There are many arguments to do with the origins of Australian football but on one thing all parties agree – the three letters, AFL, play no part whatsoever in the creation of the game. Unlike the deeply underwhelming AFLX, Australian football did not result from highly paid executives sitting around in an office, “brainstorming” ideas. It appeared like rock'n’roll appeared in 1950s America, drawing its force from a series of cultural collisions that ended up creating a game that was fresh and exciting and a unique expression of the land it’s from. Its appeal transcends class, gender, religion and race. Very little transcends class, gender, religion and race.
Why does it do so? Because there is a genius to the game. It demands athleticism of a high order, and pulses with drama. Tom Wills, regarded by some as the founder of Australian football, proposed around the time North Hobart was formed that Geelong and Melbourne Football Clubs go to England and America to spread the game. But it didn’t happen and, in the end, the game flourished in only four places on earth – West Australia, South Australia, Victoria and Tasmania.
Nor do I believe the problems now manifesting in Tasmania are confined to Tasmania. While writing my recent book on the Bulldogs’ 2016 premiership, I asked the then chief recruiter for the Bulldogs, Simon Dalrymple, a simple question: “Is there more talent out there now or less?” He replied, “Less.” I don’t believe the Hawthorn team that won three premierships in a row from 2013 was anywhere near as complete a football
team as the Brisbane side that won three in a row 10 years earlier – or, for that matter, the great Hawthorn sides of the 1980s and 1990s. The future of Australian football is precariously placed and I no longer have confidence that the people in charge of the game know what they’re doing.
In February, AFL operative Stephen Hocking told representatives of the AFL clubs that as 65 per cent of the game’s income now comes from broadcasting rights, the broadcaster’s interests had to be considered and that changes would shortly be made to the way the game is telecast.
In 2016, the AFL had 12 executives making nearly 50 per cent more than the Australian prime minister in terms of salary.
The clubs are irreplaceable; the executives are not.
Four years ago, at a time when the AFL was congratulating itself on its billion-dollar broadcasting deal, the Tasmanian Statewide League did not even have a cash sponsor. The AFL has now requested that the Tasmanian clubs not take their complaints to the media but instead take them to the AFL. I say the public has a right to know, for example, that the president of a major Tasmanian club who disagreed with an AFL initiative was told that he risked having his club relegated to a minor league and a so-called “franchise” put in its place. This club, incidentally, has sent more than 20 players to the VFL/AFL.

Prior to 1990, when the game was administered by the VFL, no-one called the game “VFL” – it was called Australian rules. The fact that game is now commonly called AFL has fed the fatal illusion that the AFL is the game. The AFL is a big bureaucracy that imposes top-down solutions on what it perceives as problems, whether or not the problems exist. A lot of people are now being paid a lot of money to interfere with the game.

It’s an honour to celebrate the re-birth of the North Hobart Football Club. They fought and got their club back. Old North Hobart people rallied around to all but erase debt. They are back and they are one of the best footy stories going. Continue to inspire people around Australia!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back