Prediction Changes for round 5 v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly cannot believe there are people calling for Richards to be dropped. What more does he have to do in his first three games?

Incredibly excited about Richards, but he cost us badly on the weekend. Go review his first quarter. Yikes. Directly responsible for gifting 2 goals to papley.

I’m all for continuing to play him, but he was a pretty big net negative on the weekend.

Honestly cannot believe there are people calling for Richards to be dropped. What more does he have to do in his first three games?
I love Richards and have him holding his place this week, but he was bad on the weekend. Made a lot of mistakes - especially defensively - that pretty directly cost goals. Went ball chasing quite a bit - the best example of this coming in the first quarter when he converged on the already-covered ball carrier and left Papley with 5 metres running into goal. Was an easy finish.

I think he'll be a terrific player and am very excited about him but he was not good against the Swans.

Need runners - who are they in the twos? Cordy straight back in.

Roughy to spend another week in the twos with English to run Sandi into the ground around Optus stadium.

Need runners - who are they in the twos?
giphy.gif

I thought Richards biggest issue was he’s deferring to senior players that you’d expect from a junior coming up. Look at that play on opportunity in the last where the umpire was screaming at him to play on. Bont would’ve kept going and brained it from 50. Or a couple of mins later when he does that sideways kick about 2 metres (which admittedly ultimately ended with Dahl’s goal).

I don’t know if that is fixed by just telling him to back himself in the seniors and accepting the risks or better telling him to go and practice it and dominate in VFL for a couple of weeks. My guess is he’ll get given some development time in the next couple of weeks.

I thought Richards biggest issue was he’s deferring to senior players that you’d expect from a junior coming up. Look at that play on opportunity in the last where the umpire was screaming at him to play on. Bont would’ve kept going and brained it from 50. Or a couple of mins later when he does that sideways kick about 2 metres (which admittedly ultimately ended with Dahl’s goal).

I don’t know if that is fixed by just telling him to back himself in the seniors and accepting the risks or better telling him to go and practice it and dominate in VFL for a couple of weeks. My guess is he’ll get given some development time in the next couple of weeks.

If Richards learnt to fumble the ball over the goal or boundary line we are two goals beter off straight away. I like his potential but realistically he should be spending a lot of time this yr developing in the twos. Id assume his game time drops when Crozier returns.

I can accept mistakes from talented puppies like Richards but its harder to acept the same old s**t from mature players like Biggs and Honey. I mean how the hell did Biggs kick it it into the man on the mark at a crucial stage? And I still can't believe Honey is playing AFL with such horrendous skills.

If Richards learnt to fumble the ball over the goal or boundary line we are two goals beter off straight away. I like his potential but realistically he should be spending a lot of time this yr developing in the twos. Id assume his game time drops when Crozier returns.

I can accept mistakes from talented puppies like Richards but its harder to acept the same old s**t from mature players like Biggs and Honey. I mean how the hell did Biggs kick it it into the man on the mark at a crucial stage? And I still can't believe Honey is playing AFL with such horrendous skills.
Understand where you’re coming from and Richards and Naughton are probably two good comparison points. Richards needs to believe he’s a senior player and take the game on more assertively. I think he’s a bit afraid to make a mistake. Maybe that would come from staying in the ones but I’d speculate it’d do him good to be told to take some risks in the VFL and build up from there. Naughtons mistakes are different. They are more skill errors in kicking that I doubt would improve any more from VFL that they would at training plus I think it’s much better development for him to play ones (provided he gets sheltered from getting monstered like they did by putting Wood on Buddy instead).

As for the others like Honey etc. We kind of know what they’re capable of. I’m not sure they will change much from playing VFL or get the same development benefits as Richards. So unless there’s someone knocking down the door they probably stay for the moment.

Ultimately it’s not always about just dropping the one or two worst performed each week.

Understand where you’re coming from and Richards and Naughton are probably two good comparison points. Richards needs to believe he’s a senior player and take the game on more assertively. I think he’s a bit afraid to make a mistake. Maybe that would come from staying in the ones but I’d speculate it’d do him good to be told to take some risks in the VFL and build up from there. Naughtons mistakes are different. They are more skill errors in kicking that I doubt would improve any more from VFL that they would at training plus I think it’s much better development for him to play ones (provided he gets sheltered from getting monstered like they did by putting Wood on Buddy instead).

As for the others like Honey etc. We kind of know what they’re capable of. I’m not sure they will change much from playing VFL or get the same development benefits as Richards. So unless there’s someone knocking down the door they probably stay for the moment.

Ultimately it’s not always about just dropping the one or two worst performed each week.

Good points re Richards and Naughton although Naughton's decision making cost us a goal (well his poor foot skills as well). My preference is that both develop mostly in the twos. Cordy and/or Trengove in for Naughton short term Moz and Adams longer term.

In a culcha of excellence, I think shitness needs to be recognised and punished as much as possible. On to Honey...

Lipinski has shown enough in the VFL that he will be a far better option than Honey IMO. Just no real justification to retain Honey with Lipinski in the wings.

I think we will do well once we have 22 players who are fit and available and neither Jong or Badge are in that team. I would like to see this:

Out: Badge, Hunter(suspended?), Jong, Biggs or Richards (to make room for Cordy)

In:

Webb/Lipinski: in a team that lacks polish Webb's kicking would be very handy. He just needs to learn how to get the pill a bit more at AFL level. I want to see him get a run of at least three or four games before we put a line through him. I'd also like to get another look at Lipinski if his VFL form warrants it. Sounds like a natural goal kicker which we need badly.

Roughead/Campbell: Depending on how their VFL form was. Would allow English to spend more time forward.

Cordy: Obvious inclusion.

Good points re Richards and Naughton although Naughton's decision making cost us a goal (well his poor foot skills as well). My preference is that both develop mostly in the twos. Cordy and/or Trengove in for Naughton short term Moz and Adams longer term.

In a culcha of excellence, I think shitness needs to be recognised and punished as much as possible. On to Honey...

Lipinski has shown enough in the VFL that he will be a far better option than Honey IMO. Just no real justification to retain Honey with Lipinski in the wings.
I hear that point on setting standards (and I would agree Honey did have some bad patches on the weekend) but if you applied that without concession you’d probably drop 5 or 6 and right now I’d prefer to have a bit more consistency in the team give the seemingly constant turnover forced by injury.

I don’t know enough about Lipinski but if I did bring him in I would swap for Gowers for better balance. I don’t think I’d like Lipinski Gowers and Dickson in the same side. Dickson already seems to be reducing Gowers impact so I thin that swap would be low risk to find out a bit more about Lipinski.

So I don’t know right now who forces out Honey and others - maybe Webb?

I hear that point on setting standards (and I would agree Honey did have some bad patches on the weekend) but if you applied that without concession you’d probably drop 5 or 6 and right now I’d prefer to have a bit more consistency in the team give the seemingly constant turnover forced by injury.

I don’t know enough about Lipinski but if I did bring him in I would swap for Gowers for better balance. I don’t think I’d like Lipinski Gowers and Dickson in the same side. Dickson already seems to be reducing Gowers impact so I thin that swap would be low risk to find out a bit more about Lipinski.

So I don’t know right now who forces out Honey and others - maybe Webb?

No fan of Gowers but Honey is genuinely terrible. Lipinski can come in and don't see why Dunks or Jong can't play mid more to accommodate Honey out. We are bereft of genuine small and tall fwds so don't agree that we need to drop a fwd to include a fwd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got killed to start the 3rd after English couldn't get back on off the interchange bench, surely we bring in Boyd to support English for as good as any reason as any other
Boyd just has to play I would’ve thought.

We lacked a big target up forward for a lot of the Swans game and a guy that can play around 30% of the game in the ruck to help English. Boyd is both of them things.

Time to pick him.

Boyd just has to play I would’ve thought.

We lacked a big target up forward for a lot of the Swans game and a guy that can play around 30% of the game in the ruck to help English. Boyd is both of them things.

Time to pick him.
After one good game against a genuinely horrific VFL team? I just don't think it's smart given how important confidence and continuity is for Boyd.

After one good game against a genuinely horrific VFL team? I just don't think it's smart given how important confidence and continuity is for Boyd.
He’ll need to get some continuity into his game at AFL level.

If he’s fit and well, then he just has to come in for mine.

We need him.

Honey is playing AFL because we have to many talls on our list (Yes a few talls are injured at the moment) and subsequently not enough smalls (if Libba or Picken was fit he would not be in).

Added to the talls that played on Saturday when/if all available

Adams
Boyd
Cordy
Campbell
Roughead
Collins
Trengrove
Schacke
Muelleger Mchugh
Young
Fletcher Roberts
Morris can play as tall

We were one tall short on Saturday Cordy. Swap of Boyd for Redpath and maybe Naughton at some stage for Adams.

So ideally we play 4 talls English, Boyd, Adams/Naughton and Cordy with chop outs from Morris and Wood. That leaves 10 talls not needed each week it is a lopsided list that we need to fix next season.

I expect a limited number of ins and outs this week. We were very close against a very good side. Unlikely we will want to change that. Hopefully we will see Lipinski get a run, could be likely with Hunter almost certain to cop a whack. A lot of players could be dropped (Jong, Richards, Biggs, Honey) but are probably saved by the fact that the team played so well and we don't have a host of players knocking on the door. Biggs will probably get dropped for Cordy after not showing much, I reckon he was a bit more with it than Richards but we don't seem to punish kids in the same way we do senior players.

No fan of Gowers but Honey is genuinely terrible. Lipinski can come in and don't see why Dunks or Jong can't play mid more to accommodate Honey out. We are bereft of genuine small and tall fwds so don't agree that we need to drop a fwd to include a fwd.
Agree with the principle of what you’re saying but for me I had Cordy coming in for Hunter (if suspended) so I’d already lost one rotation.

Need runners - who are they in the twos? Cordy straight back in.

Roughy to spend another week in the twos with English to run Sandi into the ground around Optus stadium.
Angus Monfries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back