Autopsy Round 5 – St. Kilda vs GWS Giants, Saturday 21st April 2018, Etihad Stadium, 1.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Probably the best thing about the win yesterday was how we responded when put under the pump.

The word from the Dockers camp before the bounce was to apply as much pressure as possible to force errors and upset our game plan, which worked a treat for them in the first quarter, especially on Whitfield, who looked clueless every time he touched the ball (until he eventually made that great tackle on Fyfe later on).

But we got ourselves sorted in the second quarter and never looked back. I loved the side-step from Dawson Simpson on Sandilands; not bad for someone who’s thought a bit one dimensional. And it was quite unusual to see Simpson, who’s a really big man (and also Patton, for that matter) being made to look small next to Fremantle's very own giant. They wouldn’t be used to it.

Callan Ward (who’s just turned 28!) had an outstanding game. So too did Ryan Griffen in his comeback match. It’s great to see he’s still got a lot to offer. Nick Haynes played an absolute blinder. Hopper, Taranto and Coniglio played well, and Deledio probably had his best game for us. Toby looked like he’d never been away. And apart from a cut to Davis’s chin, no injuries again, although there are question marks over Jeremy Cameron’s fitness.

Now for the Saints. Remember Round 7 last year? Having won five on the trot and coming off the hotly contested win against the Bulldogs, which was also at Manuka, the unexpected loss to St. Kilda started a long and unconvincing run of poor form that extended deep into the season.

But this time it just wouldn’t be credible for us to lose. St. Kilda is in the middle of re-building their entire list. To make matters worse for them, ex-Giant Josh Bruce, who’s made a name for himself as one of their key forwards, is out for 6 weeks. Their sole victory to date has been against Brisbane and, according to someone on their board “are playing an easy beat flog style of game, with poor skills and shite game plan”. Ouch!

Regarding any changes this week, we don’t seem to have much room to manoeuvre. I doubt we’ll see Josh Kelly back in the short term. The only reliable cure for a groin injury is rest. There’s nothing else you can do, and if you try to hurry, you make it worse. And with rumours of an adductor strain, Jeremy Cameron will probably be rested as well.

Rory Lobb might be available, but I rather like the heft that Dawson Simpson brings to the side. Perhaps we can use Lobb’s mobility and marking skills somewhere else. Matt Buntine, Adam Kennedy and Zac Langdon are still a couple of weeks away. If Cameron is rested, we might see Nick Shipley given an opportunity.

Of those who performed well in the NEAFL team that went down to the Suns, Isaac Cumming probably has the sort of skills we need to help plug the hole left by Scully. Unfortunately, Lachlan Tiziani suffed a nasty leg injury, and had to be stretchered off, so he’ll be out of the picture for some time.

There’s no way the Saints could repeat their upset of last year, is there? It would be inconceivable for us not to win.

I'm heading down for the afternoon, and looking forward to seeing some of the Victorian Giants again. And hopefully there'll be enough of us to be both seen and heard.

We'll win by a decent margin.;)

We'll win by a decent margin.;)

9290c10371dfd07ebcef34b90d9c9c35.gif

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Melbourne Giants function after the game at West Village, South Wharf. Anyone coming down, please join us.
Still running the idea up the flagpole. The Virgin Orange army offer closes tomorrow I think. I must contact the club and ask if it's rude for a technical member like me to opt in, and if there are spots available.
There are Giants bays at Etthiad right? I'd prefer a reserved seat, I know there aren't at the G.

Still running the idea up the flagpole. The Virgin Orange army offer closes tomorrow I think. I must contact the club and ask if it's rude for a technical member like me to opt in, and if there are spots available.
There are Giants bays at Etthiad right? I'd prefer a reserved seat, I know there aren't at the G.
With the Stainers going like busteds I'd imagine a crowd of 15,000. Come and sit with the Giants supporters behind the sticks if you come down.

I'm heading down to the game with my family too. Catching up with another family from Canberra temporarily in Melbourne this year who are also going. Hopefully GWS can score a solid win in Melbourne - last year's game was disappointing and while the Saints surely will be wanting to turn their form around, our boys should have more to play for.

In regards our team, I can see Jezza being rested if he's got some lingering problems - given his hamstring issues last year we cannot afford to lose him for an extended period, so a travelling game would be a reasonable one to miss. However, he'd be a big loss, with neither Patton nor HH looking particularly dangerous yet. However, if we change our playing style a touch it might bring them into the game more and kickstart their season. Presuming that Tiziani is out for a bit, I can't see Sproule coming in, and more likely that either Shipley or Bonar (at around 190 cms) would be preferred. I wouldn't say I'd be happy to see that ... if it's at Jezza's expense, but I would be keen to see the 2 tall + fast/aggressive medium setup & how it could work. An enthusiastic youngster surely would keep energy levels up for the team. Otherwise, I can't see any team changes until we get guys like Kelly & Langdon back from injury.

I hope it's a good match - and by good I mean a thumping win for GWS!

Nearly got me head knocked off by a saints D/H last year.
But this game is Danger Danger Danger.
Hopefully weve learnt our lessens about complacency and its all about slaying another less than hopeful.

Interesting stats this year. We're definitely getting off to slow starts - we've actually lost our first quarter on average, but absolutely smashing teams after the first break. I wouldn't mind a focus on a fast start against the Saints, but given last year's averages were a slow first three quarters it feels like we've improved...

Our scoring averages this year and differential:
19.75 (-0.75) 27 (+12.75) 24.5 (+6.75) 28 (+9.5)

Last year:
23.88 (+1.2) 21.24 (+2.48) 22.6 (-0.24) 25.12 (+7.12)

Interesting stats this year. We're definitely getting off to slow starts - we've actually lost our first quarter on average, but absolutely smashing teams after the first break. I wouldn't mind a focus on a fast start against the Saints, but given last year's averages were a slow first three quarters it feels like we've improved...

Our scoring averages this year and differential:
19.75 (-0.75) 27 (+12.75) 24.5 (+6.75) 28 (+9.5)

Last year:
23.88 (+1.2) 21.24 (+2.48) 22.6 (-0.24) 25.12 (+7.12)
Slow starts seem common across a nunber of years to me. I've wondered if it's being beaten tactically early on and then reacting well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow starts seem common across a nunber of years to me. I've wondered if it's being beaten tactically early on and then reacting well.

I will say that (anecdotally) Leon seems to make some of the better adjustments in the comp, though he seems to reserve them for the breaks. We often seem to be behind the eight ball in games in the last few years and then come out after a break and blow the opponent away.

Ooooh, yes please. I didn't dislike Reid's performance against Fremantle, but Saints seem to be vulnerable to speed at present, and I would really like to see some of the kids get a go to determine if they do improve our play.
Play Cumming absolutely every week. This games pretty dangerous though I think. If BF is any indicator, and it may not be Saints are reaching crisis point. Very often a team will come out at that point and pull off a win.

Been there for the last couple of games. Good to watch the game on the big screen, but not many supporters turning up. we'll head there after next week's game.
I usually just go to the Railway in Port or The Palace. They're a lot closer to home and I pretty much get free reign in them. I only usually go to West Village for Melbourne games.

I usually just go to the Railway in Port or The Palace. They're a lot closer to home and I pretty much get free reign in them. I only usually go to West Village for Melbourne games.
There are probably similar options closer to us in Newport, but thought we might try connecting with local Giants at this venue.

There are probably similar options closer to us in Newport, but thought we might try connecting with local Giants at this venue.
For me it's laziness. 3 tram stops go West Village or 34 second walk to Railway...Railway always wins. (Except Sunday when I go to Palace for $15 roast)

It is, unfortunately, what it is. No point playing Jezza if he's not fully fit, nor if it's going to possibly exacerbate the injury. I don't subscribe to the theory that the Saints will be an easy game (as much as I wish it would be) - unfortunately GWS has proven that it just doesn't play well in Melbourne, Saints rolled us last year, & they're just as likely to come out fired up on Saturday. If it gives us an opportunity to blood someone new, or try a new forward formation/strategy then there's at least some value. New blood and the need for new strategy might be the prompt/rejuvenation required to come away with a win in Melbourne.

Injuries biting savagely again - pretty much as badly as 2017 if that were possible.
Indeed. However, we're not the only team feeling the pain - Bulldogs, Collingwood and Adelaide are heavily impacted (and lost more games). Hawthorn losing Poppy & Cyril (although both small forwards) might have some future pain, Melbourne has been without a couple of key players. So it's how we work through it that's important. Our main trouble is that it's all seemingly in the one area, our speedy players. The general BF buzz has been GWS not being impressive across the first 4 games, but as usual that hasn't really accounted for being without those best 22 players. Not quite to 2017 standards yet, but still concerning. An away game without Williams, Kennedy/Buntine, Scully, Kelly, Cameron & perhaps Langdon from what would be our best side makes it more of a challenge, but one which Leon & the replacement players need to meet.

Indeed. However, we're not the only team feeling the pain - Bulldogs, Collingwood and Adelaide are heavily impacted (and lost more games). Hawthorn losing Poppy & Cyril (although both small forwards) might have some future pain, Melbourne has been without a couple of key players. So it's how we work through it that's important. Our main trouble is that it's all seemingly in the one area, our speedy players. The general BF buzz has been GWS not being impressive across the first 4 games, but as usual that hasn't really accounted for being without those best 22 players. Not quite to 2017 standards yet, but still concerning. An away game without Williams, Kennedy/Buntine, Scully, Kelly, Cameron & perhaps Langdon from what would be our best side makes it more of a challenge, but one which Leon & the replacement players need to meet.
Paul Roos made an interesting point on On The Couch last night. He thinks most if not all sides drop off dramatically in terms of the quality of their last handful of players picked every week and depth across the lists is not what it once was.

He reckons that the biggest dictator of success now is keeping your top 5-6 players on the park (this is where Carlton is getting hit). If you lose one of the big ones the impact is far more than losing a series of 18-30 ranked players.

On this measure the Giants are still well placed. Was probably worse last year really losing Cameron, Coniglio, Delidio etc for big chunks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back