Prediction Changes for round 5 v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

My changes for this week would be as follows:
OUT: Biggs
IN: Cordy
This change is to fix up team balance to accomodate the returning Cordy, plus Biggs was one of the weaker players against Sydney so no real loss there.

OUT: Jong, Honeychurch
IN: Lipinski, Webb
These changes are to take out two poor users of the ball to put in two terrific users of the football. Don’t need talent to apply pressure and the two boys coming in will be given a message saying if they don’t match the pressure output from Jong and Honey then they are out quicker than they get in. But as said no talent is needed to apply pressure and they also add that class on top of this which will only improve our side. Lipinski been in great form over the last two weeks in the VFL and deserves another crack while Webb deserves one more extended run at it.

OUT: Naughton
IN: Roberts
This change would be quite controversial. Let me start this off by saying Naughton has been an absolute revelation and will be part of our future as a club and be a 150+ gamer. Absolutely love him. However his ball use is one of his only weaknesses but it is a glaring weakness. Not even VFL standard in my opinion. He needs to go back to the two’s and work on this and show he can execute his kicking in games. Needs to be addressed at training also, but when he fixes it up he’ll be back in quicker than he got out. On the other hand we are bringing in a capable key defender who can also use the ball very effectively and has much more experience. This will be crucial to our backline.

One final note is that if Hunter is suspended for a week then one of Jong or Honeychurch will be the lucky one to hold their place.

Leaves us with the following lineup:
FB: Johannisen, Roberts, Williams
HB: Suckling, Cordy, Wood
C: Hunter*, Dahlhaus, Dale
HF: Dunkley, Bontempelli, Wallis
FF: Dickson, Redpath, Gowers
FOL: English, McLean, Macrae
INT: Lipinski, Webb, Daniel, Richards
EMER: Honeychurch*, Jong, Biggs, Naughton

Well now that Hunter is a confirmed out, that means Honeychurch retains his place and the following changes should be made:
IN: Lipinski, Webb, Cordy, Roberts
OUT: Hunter (suspended), Naughton, Biggs, Jong

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Naughton and English will not, and should not be dropped for their first games in their home state in front of family and friends. Not like they have negative form to deserve a dropping either, so neither will be "rested"

In what is likely bad news, those around long enough probably know of my luck of seeing just one Bulldogs win in person in about the best part of 10 years. I’m attending on Saturday night :(

Only win was the 2016 elimination final :)rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:), but I’d love nothing more than this week to break that regular season luck. Watched JK kick 10 & lose by 20 goals, seen us s**t the bed on Anzac Day & blow a lead late on to Freo (Cooney missed a set shot that would have sealed it), last/second last round of 2016 against Freo was just hideous football but obviously got the bad out of us on that day. Got blown out of a good contest against Eagles in about 2014, right in it up to 3/4 time down by about 10pts but lost by 50 (that red guernsey, probably). A couple more in there I guess....plus going to Melbourne when we were flying to play St Kilda, Clay does an ACL & we lose a 40+ lead.

Come to think of it, we’ve copped an injury in about the last 4 games I’ve seen... clay’s ACL, Morris broken back, Jong shoulder, Picken heavy concussion... I swear to god I’m packing it in if this type of thing happens again :oops:

Just remember, Fremantle still play their games at Subiaco. ;)

Everyone knows MRO is stricter this year. Player stupidity is the only thing to blame with the Cordy/Hunter incidents. We are starting to become a bit undisciplined with little things like this. Players need to not overstep the margin of error in these instances. No need for any contact in either instance, particularly the LH one (no matter how much Papley may annoy you).

Actually I think the new system is dishing out too many fines and not suspending enough players - how Sandilands got a fine and not 3 weeks, and Grundy not rubbed out for charging Dicko in Moe, is beyond a joke. Plenty of other soft financial punishments this year too.

I'd make 3 changes....

Out - Redpath
In - Boyd
English needs help in the ruck and Dunkley/Jong/Bontempelli should not be our back up ruck, especially against the Man Mountain. Red's knee isn't allowing him to back up Tim.

Out - Biggs
In - Cordy
Biggs' form has gone south in a big way and InZaine is due to return after his brain fade.

Out - Hunter (suspension)
In - Lipinski
Lippy has shown a bit at VFL level and it is a good time to get some AFL experience into him. Lachie needs some lessons from Matty Scarlett on how to deal with little forward pocket pests.

The act deserved a free kick and a week's suspension.

Personally, I would prefer the witness account of an official (umpire) 70 centimetres from the actual incident with a unimpeded view, than the MRP - via a 2 dimensional camera angle 125 metres from the ‘vicious assault’.

Yeh, the head is ‘sacrosanct’ but I don’t get reprimanded for brushing my hair each morning.

Well now that Hunter is a confirmed out, that means Honeychurch retains his place and the following changes should be made:
IN: Lipinski, Webb, Cordy, Roberts
OUT: Hunter (suspended), Naughton, Biggs, Jong

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't understand the calls for Naughton to be dropped. The guy is doing two sensational things for every error he makes and has had one of the best starts of a new recruit that i can remember, especially for a tall.

I'd give Richards a rest. Don't play him at any level. Monitor his workload. It is a trip to Perth after all.
Maybe Naughton as the travelling emergency to visit family as well? Still plenty of time left in the season and we don't want these kids having burnout.

I love Richards and have him holding his place this week, but he was bad on the weekend. Made a lot of mistakes - especially defensively - that pretty directly cost goals. Went ball chasing quite a bit - the best example of this coming in the first quarter when he converged on the already-covered ball carrier and left Papley with 5 metres running into goal. Was an easy finish.

I think he'll be a terrific player and am very excited about him but he was not good against the Swans.
Richards seemed to lose his head at times during the game. You've got to stay in the moment - be mindful if you will - pretty much all game long or you will let your team down. It's almost impossible to do for 100 minutes, but it can be learned and Richards seems to need some training in this aspect of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd give Richards a rest. Don't play him at any level. Monitor his workload. It is a trip to Perth after all.
Maybe Naughton as the travelling emergency to visit family as well? Still plenty of time left in the season and we don't want these kids having burnout.
Suggestions like this always bemuse me a little, 3NP. I just feel like we have no idea how different players have recovered after a certain game, and how ready they are for the next week. They'll probably both need a week off at some point, but that should really be guided by their bodies.

Suggestions like this always bemuse me a little, 3NP. I just feel like we have no idea how different players have recovered after a certain game, and how ready they are for the next week. They'll probably both need a week off at some point, but that should really be guided by their bodies.
Fair enough - we don't know about their bodies, I'll give you that, but at the same time, it's a trip to Perth

Could Boyd come in and help Tenglish against big Sandi? Tim should smash him aerobically around the ground but could get belted at stoppages. Will allow Redpath to play permanent full forward. Just can’t see it if Taberner is the back up ruck. What we reckon?

Saturday has 90% chance of rain, 5-10mm. Just seen the news forecast & they said it was going to be very wet, not sure what to believe
So maybe we go small? i.e. no return for Boyd, Roughy or Trengove. Just Cordy?

Cordy for Biggs, Boyd for Hunter. Play Dahlhaus in Hunter’s role (keeps him out of the forward line) Boyd as extra tall forward and replaces Dahlhaus forward. Hopefully straighter kick with same chances!

If reports are accurate and it is going to be wet, this is not the game to bring Boyd back for.

In: Lipinski, Cordy

Out: Hunter, Honeychurch

Biggs very lucky to hold his spot but he needs to string some games together and find his form again. Honey has had that chance and clearly will never be up to it.

If reports are accurate and it is going to be wet, this is not the game to bring Boyd back for.

In: Lipinski, Cordy

Out: Hunter, Honeychurch

Biggs very lucky to hold his spot but he needs to string some games together and find his form again. Honey has had that chance and clearly will never be up to it.

regardless of opposition Boyd was very good in atrocious conditions on the weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back