Player Watch Darcy Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.
You lost me at Jesse White sorry! o_O
I knew I would lose many with that comment, but he did have a couple of 5 goal games and I believe better games than Moore's one against the Dogs in his first year. I love Darcy Moore and what he could become. I just don't think that he's consistently done enough to be an automatic inclusion unless there is an obvious hole for him to fill. Off the back of an interrupted preseason and very little experience playing defence against men, I don't reckon he has done enough to push into and potentially disrupt our defence, which is looking really good at the moment. I'd also like to see Cox given a couple more games up forward. Reid been good and shouldn't even be under discussion. And frankly, I reckon Moore would benefit from a couple of games in the VFL.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I knew I would lose many with that comment, but he did have a couple of 5 goal games and I believe better games than Moore's one against the Dogs in his first year. I love Darcy Moore and what he could become. I just don't think that he's consistently done enough to be an automatic inclusion unless there is an obvious hole for him to fill. Off the back of an interrupted preseason and very little experience playing defence against men, I don't reckon he has done enough to push into and potentially disrupt our defence, which is looking really good at the moment. I'd also like to see Cox given a couple more games up forward. Reid been good and shouldn't even be under discussion. And frankly, I reckon Moore would benefit from a couple of games in the VFL.

The difference is Moore has got a :heart:

He is an automatic selection.....play in VFL WTF sr36! :shoutyoldman:

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
He was dynamic playing back against the Hawks. He used his pace and athleticism to get to countless contests and spoil and other than the one botched marking attempt he set up some excellent attacks from deep in defense.

He was dynamic playing back against the Hawks. He used his pace and athleticism to get to countless contests and spoil and other than the one botched marking attempt he set up some excellent attacks from deep in defense.
There were 2 dropped marks and a couple of out of bounds on the fulls. That'd be enough to have effigies of Langdon burnt. :blush: I agree that he looked promising in defence, but don't think he performed at a higher standard than the blokes doing his role at the moment.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
There were 2 dropped marks and a couple of out of bounds on the fulls. That'd be enough to have effigies of Langdon burnt. :blush: I agree that he looked promising in defence, but don't think he performed at a higher standard than the blokes doing his role at the moment.
I'd rather have Moore lining up on the likes of Jack Reiwoldt, Tom Lynch and Buddy Franklin than Shaz or Langdon.

I'd rather have Moore lining up on the likes of Jack Reiwoldt, Tom Lynch and Buddy Franklin than Shaz or Langdon.

I'm not talking about keeping him in the VFL long term. I'm just suggesting bringing him back through the VFL. I reckon he'll be a world beater one day, but also think that he could get there quicker if he does some beating of the VFL world in order to give him the belief.

I also think it sends a good message to the group if blokes in the seniors who are doing their job don't have to immediately make way when a bigger name gets fit, particularly when that bigger name is big based on his incredible potential, but not on incredible output and who doesn't actually have much exposed form that is significantly superior to the blokes doing his potential roles at the moment.

We're bringing guys like JDG, Wells and Elliott back through the VFL, guys with much more runs on the board than him, I'm not sure why bringing Moore back through the VFL is a bigger issue.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
For mine, what can Langdon do down back that Moore can't?

Moore is taller, faster, can intercept well and offers far greater flexibility to the team....physically he could just as easily play on Daniher, Stewart or Stringer on Anzac day... and can be swung forward.

Can't say the same for Langdon or Shaz. No way I'm taking Dunn or Howe out of the back line. So only one of Langdon or Scharenberg needed.

If fit Moore has to play. Reid and Cox worked well last week. If that combo fails to gel then Moore can be swung deep forward for bursts and Reid down back. Or Cox benched and Moore played as a half forward-ruck.
Cox has not played a good game all year.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn't forget the Dogs game. Yep he kicked 5, but a few of them were well after the game was lost. It certainly wasn't a dominant performance. Jesse White had several games of that level and higher. Agree that he was dominating in the WCE game before he got injured. He got injured in the second quarter, so I would call it a dominant quarter and a half, rather than a dominant game and it was nearly two years ago.

I agree that we've all seen the signs, I just think that his general production hasn't been enough for him to automatically replace guys that are performing their role. I also think that he'd benefit from playing a big game or two in the VFL.
You can’t play Moore in the twos and Cox in the seniors. Moore has played 2 quarters up front this year and has contributed more than Cox

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
You keep saying White kicked bags of 5 and that is just incorrect he never kicked 5 goals in an AFL game

You keep saying White kicked bags of 5 and that is just incorrect he never kicked 5 goals in an AFL game
Apologies, I just checked the stats. You're right.

I just have a different perspective on developing youngsters. I reckon it's more important to maximise their confidence than to maximise the number of AFL games they've played. I reckon a couple of big games in the VFL would be good for his confidence. So I think it would be good for Moore.

I also think that it will do little harm to the senior team. We're talking about a forward whose best has been a solid contribution. Without checking, I doubt that he's ever got a Brownlow vote, or even been close to getting one. Or alternatively, he's a defender who has barely played in defence. Coupled with this, he's had a limited preseason with limited match practice.

I'd have no qualms with him being selected, I just don't think he's got enough runs on the board to be an automatic selection, despite how breathtaking some of the runs he's scored have been and how good I think he will be in the future.

Cox has not played a good game all year.

I thought he did quite well vs the Crows. Did not get many Touches but still had a Impact hitting the Contest

I wouldn’t say Cox has played a good game this year so he is in the gun

I'd say that Cox's game against Carlton was pretty much the standard average Moore game over the last 2 years. A few nice clunks. Bringing the ball to ground when out of position - (Cox was awful at this against Hawthorn, but has been better than Moore in the last two games in that he's actually been directing the ball to advantage) Good defensive efforts. Cox has had a solid contribution, despite low stats. That's pretty much what Moore has done for us for the last two years.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd say that Cox's game against Carlton was pretty much the standard average Moore game over the last 2 years. A few nice clunks. Bringing the ball to ground when out of position - (Cox was awful at this against Hawthorn, but has been better than Moore in the last two games in that he's actually been directing the ball to advantage) Good defensive efforts. Cox has had a solid contribution, despite low stats. That's pretty much what Moore has done for us for the last two years.

You’re not going to let this one go are you?

Moore’s stats (GWS) two quarters......Cox stats four quarters against the Blues (apparently I have been told Cox’s stats are irrelevant :drunk:)

7F1F71D2-0A3E-4D13-B15D-C801EA5C6204.jpeg

9EFD3D66-311D-47B7-A8AB-33A64BF3AE45.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back