Review Geelong defeats St Kilda by 47 points at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Decided to trial a new feature just for the hell of it. As many will surely agree, it's a pity, given that multiple stations call the games every week, that only one commentary track - the one used in the broadcast footage - is ever used in video highlights packages of AFL matches. It's always seemed like an utter waste to me to have radio commentaries disappear forever when oftentimes (though not always) they are better than the broadcast call. So, with that in mind, I think it's about time those radio commentaries got put to good use. Thus my simple idea to dub different radio commentary over the Channel 7 or Fox Footy broadcast highlights.

I'll draw from source audio from ABC, K Rock and 3AW in doing this and we'll see how it goes. Depending on how many get a kick out of it I may make this a weekly thing. But we'll see. Just trialing the idea at this stage.

Round 4 vs St Kilda Alternate Commentary: ABC RADIO (Highlights Package)

Decided to trial a new feature just for the hell of it. As many will surely agree, it's a pity, given that multiple stations call the games every week, that only one commentary track - the one used in the broadcast footage - is ever used in video highlights packages of AFL matches. It's always seemed like an utter waste to me to have radio commentaries disappear forever when oftentimes (though not always) they are better than the broadcast call. So, with that in mind, I think it's about time those radio commentaries got put to good use. Thus my simple idea to dub different radio commentary over the Channel 7 or Fox Footy broadcast highlights.

I'll draw from source audio from ABC, K rock and 3AW in doing this and we'll see how it goes. Depending on how many get a kick out of it I may make this a weekly thing. But we'll see. Just trialing the idea at this stage.

Round 4 vs St Kilda: Alternate Commentary: ABC RADIO (Highlights Package)

Brilliant work, Baudolino. I like the use of radio calls!

unfortunately we both kicked less goals and lost that match... freo beat GC kicking 6 goals to their 7 in rd 11, 2015 though.

but i was just trying to have fun with my comment!
I reckon it could be possible in a AFLW match that one team kicks 1 goal and the other team rushes through around 10 behinds and wins.
Could happen!

I'll draw from source audio from ABC, K Rock and 3AW in doing this and we'll see how it goes. Depending on how many get a kick out of it I may make this a weekly thing. But we'll see. Just trialing the idea at this stage.

That's great so much better than TV commentary. Did notice and this is the first footage that I have seen that Menzel was kicking goals rather than being defensive.

Bit hard when the average age of those sitting in the outer is about 109, and spend the day knitting blankets not watching the footy.
We need to cull out the oldies....perhaps its time for an age restriction

I've been told regularly to shut up, as have others around me, when vocal against the umpires or opposition teams. Unfortunately it's this mentality that has plagued Geelong crowds for years. Most are just content to sit and clap occasionally. But having said that, when there's a game on against a big team or with something riding on the result they have shown they can generate an atmosphere. I fully expect we'll have a one in two weeks against Sydney.

I've been told regularly to shut up, as have others around me, when vocal against the umpires or opposition teams. Unfortunately it's this mentality that has plagued Geelong crowds for years. Most are just content to sit and clap occasionally. But having said that, when there's a game on against a big team or with something riding on the result they have shown they can generate an atmosphere. I fully expect we'll have a one in two weeks against Sydney.
Ditto.....
Much prefer the Geelong games at the G. Maybe its because I sit in the AFL members section, and they have a lot more spunk than the old biddies in the Cats members area.

I also used to get told to shut up all the time whenever I sat in the old Hickey stand.
Stopped sitting there even when I got free tickets, would rather stand.

Best poster on this site for mine. Bar none. Thanks mate.

Love the work, but won't play for some reason. :think:

Coaches votes:

10 Brandan Parfitt
7 Daniel Menzel
7 Tom Stewart
2 Patrick Dangerfield
2 Joel Selwood
1 Zach Tuohy
1 Sam Menegola.

This means the only thing Richo and Scotty agreed on was that Parfitt was BOG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hi guys just found this forum

Great win against st kilda. Too bad Tomahawk didn't kick any but maybe it was a bit wet for him.

excited to have gaz back. Hope he isn't out too long, any news? is this the right place for injury news?

Not sure there is a right place for injury news with Geelong but its probably as good as anywhere.

Welcome to the Cat Board...glad you found the place. Enjoy.

I really hope he’s not on 180k. If that’s true that’s a disgrace. Especially when you’ve got blokes like Stanley running around on 400k.

I have always held that the issue with Menzel wasn't his tackling, but his injury past.

Considering that talk in the past has been that Menzel is one ACL away from retirement, I can see the cats being reluctant signing him for more than one year.

Imagine if he got two years or longer, and he did his knee again (and with each ACL, you increase the likelihood of doing it again). We would be carrying his contract in the salary cap, without getting any value from it.

I think other teams didn't take the risk on him either because of this.

I don't buy the "lack of tackling" reason, as you can teach a player that. I think it is closer to what I think it is.

Daniel Menzel has been great, but he is a case of "crossing your fingers and hoping that he stays uninjured".

Hard to gauge how that win stacked up. I'll take it. It was 47 points but geez, St Kilda are terrible. They are a team that is very low on confidence and lacking star power. They have some warhorse midfielders but zero cream.

Menzel was great. Listening to him on the radio this morning, he mentioned that he's had his first pre-season in 7 years and is feeling the effects. Sounded a little pissed when Howie mentioned Scotts comments re small term contracts but played the "i've gotten my head around it" card. Could just hear it in his voice though.

Hawkins being a "professional decoy" at the moment. Taking two defenders and freeing up the forward line. I hope his team mates are buying his beers for him as he's earnt them. Selfless.

Of the young guys I thought Parfitt, Kelly, Fogarty, Henry and Cunico all played well. Sad on Gregson. Hope its not serious but he was due for a spell IMO. Give Constable a shot!!.

Blicavs finally at fullback. Geez the MC are bloody slow to make moves that are painfully obvious. Took a week too long to drop Parsons as well and it was odd he didn't play VFL. Could have taken another player as the carryover emergency for Sunday. He needs to find touch, not a rest.

Zuthrie time for a spell. Would bring in Thurlow. Solid again.

Big game this weekend. Danger ready to explode. 3 games under his belt, back in Adelaide. He will light it up I reckon.....and we'll need it.

We would be like St. Kilda now if Chris Scott hadn't come in and played some youngsters amongst our older players.

St. Kilda shows the folly of keeping a really old team, and not play youth, and then be forced to rebuild and have a really young team, who never win games.

Though some here would love a total rebuild, so we lose all the time and then they get their wish of Chris Scott getting sacked.

I have always held that the issue with Menzel wasn't his tackling, but his injury past.

Considering that talk in the past has been that Menzel is one ACL away from retirement, I can see the cats being reluctant signing him for more than one year.

Imagine if he got two years or longer, and he did his knee again (and with each ACL, you increase the likelihood of doing it again). We would be carrying his contract in the salary cap, without getting any value from it.

I think other teams didn't take the risk on him either because of this.

I don't buy the "lack of tackling" reason, as you can teach a player that. I think it is closer to what I think it is.

Daniel Menzel has been great, but he is a case of "crossing your fingers and hoping that he stays uninjured".
That's effectively what Chris Scott said (maybe in the post match?) That no footy club would take the risk of giving him a multi-year contract.

It was about what I expected, perhaps the Saints were a bit poorer, so not getting too carried away with the win. If we did lose it was major alarm bells though so more relief than anything, and gives some of the kids the belief they need to kick on.

Danger and J Selwood's disposal efficiency seems to be letting them down more than usual so far this season. I don't have the numbers; perhaps it's just the errors themselves are more glaring. Dangerfield still has a couple of gears to go up in general play too. Not such a concern for this game, but I feel as though we'll need dominant and clean displays from these two to beat the better teams minus Ablett.

The ball movement is always better at KP, as is the zone set up. We still let them get out of too many stoppages cleanly but luckily they stuffed up their breakaways mostly. Same with their rebounds from 50, although I thought our pressure was at least a step in the right direction. I bring this up all the time but these issues are rarely evident at home, it's once we hit the road and especially the wider grounds that alarm bells ring.

I thought a big factor was not going up against a dominant ruck. Stanley is fine against guys of this ilk. Port minus Ryder will be the same. In fact, we face some very good opponents but ones that lack out and out star ruckman over the next few weeks. This gives me a bit of hope.

Blicavs back to defence instead of ruck/mid is much better for the team structures. His hesitation will hurt us at times back their but as a pretty big body with a huge tank he can have a solid crack at shut down roles with rebound when he gets the chance. 6 weeks plus in that role could be a good thing short and long term I reckon.

Menegola at the stoppages and mixing it up with stints on the half forward flank, with Duncan more as an outside silk player is probably the best way to utilise those two at the moment. I think Menegola does need the midfield minutes to feel his way into a game - just sticking him on the flank full stop doesn't get too much out of him. His ball use can be so good when he has a look. For some reason on the G, usually when the pressure is fierce, he can go to bits. Not alone on this front by the way, but it is what it is.

Stewart has been bloody brilliant and I hope a second strong season will this time have him prepared for finals heat if we get there.

Bews...if only the kid could use the ball. If you combined all of his attributes with Mackie's class delivery he would be a jet. Still, he beats his opponents and provides toughness - important player.

Touhy I'm starting to question a bit. Racking up huge numbers and without him our rebound at times would be non-existent - but there are issues evident in both the defensive side of his game and how much damage he is actually doing with his possessions. I do like him as a player, but find myself wanting more.

Parfitt has been praised and rightly so. Stunning game. He'd already had plenty of decent ones. Between him and Kelly we have some tough, silky smooth ball winners. The future midfield has a glimmer of hope.

Fogarty might get the finishing skills over time but I like his pressure at the ball carrier and intensity at the ball itself. I think if fit he stays in.

Menzel, and Hawkins work to get the best out of him, both deserve equal praise. Good points have been brought up about the team working to compensate for his areas of weakness, as all good teams should do to eek out the individual talents within. The problem isn't Menzel, it's about having a dynamic forward line that covers all aspects. We need this guy fit, fresh and looked after.

Big few weeks coming up. 2/3 would be great, 1/3 we have plenty of work to do and 0/3 we'll call panic stations. I'd be very surprised if a fired up Port at home bouncing back is a task we can manage with current personnel, so it would be a hell of a win.

"Hawkins to Duncan. They've worked this well the Saints" Wait, what? :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back