Preview Round 5, 2018: St.Kilda v GWS - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 21st April, 1:45PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep but if Marshall and Membrey don't get up we have almost no one.

Yeh it’s a good point. GWS are excellent at intercept marking as well so going with just one will be difficult.

I just can’t imagine Battle impacting a game yet.

You may be right and we may have no chance.

Yeh it’s a good point. GWS are excellent at intercept marking as well so going with just one will be difficult.

I just can’t imagine Battle impacting a game yet.

You may be right and we may have no chance.
The only other alternative is to go small and mobile - perhaps Clarke comes in, he's usually good for a goal.

The only other alternative is to go small and mobile - perhaps Clarke comes in, he's usually good for a goal.

Just think without another tall we will encounter similar issues to this week.

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that Austin or Goddard will come in and we’ll play Carlile as a forward.

Another option and whilst not ideal is Gilbert survives and plays back up ruck rather than Acres and we’l play Blake as a perm forward.

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that Austin or Goddard will come in and we’ll play Carlile as a forward.

Another option and whilst not ideal is Gilbert survives and plays back up ruck rather than Acres and we’l play Blake as a perm forward.
Acres as a permanent forward it’s Richos dream come true because he certainly isn’t a midfielder (apparently)

Geary - Brown - White
Webster - Carlisle - Cffield
Sinclair - Dunstan - Acres
Weller - Membery - Billings
Battle - McCartin - Long

Hickey - Ross - Steven

Steele / Hunter / Savage / Austin

Geary - Brown - White
Webster - Carlisle - Cffield
Sinclair - Dunstan - Acres
Weller - Membery - Billings
Battle - McCartin - Long

Hickey - Ross - Steven

Steele / Hunter / Savage / Austin

Wait your actually saying play Acres and Sinclair to the positions that they are best suited at? Give this man a job!

Ftw don't think Membrey/Webster/Marshall get up. If that's the case I'd throw in Goddard up there (played as a junior) and would select Rice. Austin to be replaced by Lonie because I didn't think he was that bad.

IN: Mav Weller, Tim Membrey, Jimmy Webster and David Armitage.

OUT: Jack Lonie, Ben Long, Dylan Roberton and McCartin/White.

Wright and Battle both next in line.

Not sure we will see Armo return yet.

30 odd touches is nice, but you put Steele back there last week he gets 40. Comes in gets 20.

They're clearly above that level but we have enough options.

And dropping Lonie for Armitage is a fair stucture change.

Geary , Brown , Roberton , Webster , White , Carlisle , Savage , Newnes , Gilbert , Sinclair , Long , Steele , Dunstan , Acres , Armitage , Hunter , Longer , Ross , Steven , Stevens , Billings , Hickey , Marshall , Bruce , Membery , Lonie , Gresham ,McCartin , Wright

thats 29 players in 4 weeks - more players getting a game than what we had all last season and we could well have Battle , Weller , Austin , Phillips or Rice in the team this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the Sandy stats

Armitage 18 kicks but 11 not effective / 7 tackles
Weller 16 kicks but 10 not effective / 5 tackles
Rice 19 kicks but 8 not effective / 4 marks / 1 tackle
Austin 8 kicks but 2 not effective / 9 handballs and 3 marks
Longer 2 kicks but 1 not effective / 7 handballs / 52 hitouts
Phillips 13 kicks but 7 not effective / 6 handballs / 5 marks
Paton 13 kicks but 7 not effective / 5 handballs / 6 tackles

Here you go - compare this to the rabble of the first few weeks of this season. Personnel is not that much different - Rooey barely got a touch in the last quarter, Joey was solid though.

Just keep an eye to the right hand side of the screen at every opportunity. I can see only one instance when there is less than 2 Saints players inside 50 every time we move it forward.

Its clearly a change in coaching tactics (pushing high) but it is an unmitigated disaster.

This was one of the best games I've ever been too as a Saints supporter probably only 2nd to the round 14 match in 09.

We weren't as good as a team and honestly the Giants were much cleaner but in the last quarter we showed heart and just outworked them.

It was only 22k odd supporters but every one of them was cheering. Bloody electric inside the ground and genuinely one of the happiest moments following the Saints. I felt at that time that we may not win the flag that year but the boys we had were good enough to match it with anyone..

Just really hope they take a look at themselves cause they are so much better than what they're showing.

This was one of the best games I've ever been too as a Saints supporter probably only 2nd to the round 14 match in 09.

We weren't as good as a team and honestly the Giants were much cleaner but in the last quarter we showed heart and just outworked them.

It was only 22k odd supporters but every one of them was cheering. Bloody electric inside the ground and genuinely one of the happiest moments following the Saints. I felt at that time that we may not win the flag that year but the boys we had were good enough to match it with anyone..

Just really hope they take a look at themselves cause they are so much better than what they're showing.

Brilliant game... if I was richo he'd be showing clips this week.

Webster, Billings, Stuv, Acres last qtr were amazing that night

Looking at the Sandy stats

Armitage 18 kicks but 11 not effective / 7 tackles
Weller 16 kicks but 10 not effective / 5 tackles
Rice 19 kicks but 8 not effective / 4 marks / 1 tackle
Austin 8 kicks but 2 not effective / 9 handballs and 3 marks
Longer 2 kicks but 1 not effective / 7 handballs / 52 hitouts
Phillips 13 kicks but 7 not effective / 6 handballs / 5 marks
Paton 13 kicks but 7 not effective / 5 handballs / 6 tackles
Based on those stats there all walk up starts.

IN: Mav Weller, Tim Membrey, Jimmy Webster and David Armitage.

OUT: Jack Lonie, Ben Long, Dylan Roberton and McCartin/White.

Wright and Battle both next in line.
I think Membrey was listed 1/2 weeks so I doubt whether he's a starter this week. Marshall probably won't play concussion + 6 day turnaround = very unlikely. So we lose Roberton and Marshall before we start with any other changes.

So that's Bruce Membrey and Marshall missing from the forward line which leaves McCartin as the most experienced tall forward. So the only tall options are either Battle as a 2nd gamer unless we bring in Goddard/Austin/Joyce to play defence so that Carlisle can play forward.

Given Jake is already cracking it defence ATM with our disposal - imagine how he's going to go up forward.

Mav has to play - unfortunately that means Lonie will get dropped. Not sure if he can make it but one week in one week out can't be helping him.

So that leaves a forward line of

Billings McCartin Battle

Gresh Acres Weller

Armo - not sure if one game is enough and I actually thought our midfield was OK.

Webster will probably be fit so he may come in for White but I'd really like White to stay and drop Newnes instead.

Hunter Clark, Josh Battle, Ben Paton
3 good kids play them.

OUT: Newnes, Lonie, Roberton

If we put armitage back in ill spew up.

Never again. Hes shite. We won the clearances first time in 2018 why? Armitage was in vfl. We dont need or want him. Unless Ross comes put for him.

I'd give Lonie another couple of weeks, realistically this is his last chance so he deserves a bit more of a run to show that he's not good enough. This is a development year anyway.

Austin and Battle were emergencies last week so pretty clearly they come in for Robbo and the Prospect. Gilbo doesn't really deserve a spot but may as well play him second ruck and as a bit of support in the backline, and I suppose for some experience.

Apart from that I can't see too many changes. I'm not too excited about seeing Armo, not sure he makes sense in this midfield bad as it's going, so he can stay at Sandy. I'm not a Weller fan so I'd leave him out too, otherwise maybe he comes in for Newnes.

IN: Austin, Battle
OUT: Marshall, Roberton

The only issue with Carlisle playing forward this week is that it leaves us thin for a rebound/defensive player in the backline. No Roberton and potentially no Webster leaves us thin for players who can defend and attack well, which means we will have to leave Carlisle there. Reports from the VFL suggest neither Austin or Goddard offer much in terms of rebound.

One positive is that we should be putting Newnes back there, which should free up the wing for Sinclair and Acres to stay there.

Anyone here decent with heatmaps?

We heard all pre season about JB and Gresh playing more midfield this year..

Has that happened? Gresham yes but I haven't seen JB stray too far from the HFF

The only issue with Carlisle playing forward this week is that it leaves us thin for a rebound/defensive player in the backline. No Roberton and potentially no Webster leaves us thin for players who can defend and attack well, which means we will have to leave Carlisle there. Reports from the VFL suggest neither Austin or Goddard offer much in terms of rebound.

One positive is that we should be putting Newnes back there, which should free up the wing for Sinclair and Acres to stay there.
This weekend: Geelong v Sandringham - Sunday, April 15, 1pm, GMHBA Stadium

David Armitage was best afield in Sandringham's 9.10 (64) to 9.8 (62) win at Geelong.

The Saints veteran, who was omitted after St Kilda was on the receiving end of consecutive thrashings by North Melbourne and Adelaide, picked up 31 possessions (18 contested) and laid four tackles.

Bailey Rice and Logan Austin both collected 20 disposals, Billy Longer was solid in the ruck and kicked a goal, and Maverick Weller gathered 14 touches and kicked a goal.

Emerging forward Josh Battle booted a goal, but had just the eight touches (all after

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back