Dan Menzel

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I just don't think there is enough credit for how good this bloke is after 4 knee reconstructions.

If he had never been injured there is every chance he could have been an all time great matching the career of Stevie J.
The fact that he can still kick bags of goals and jump and mark like he does is an absolute credit to him.
He would still walk into every forward line in the competition and you would have to think he's at best 75% of the player he could have been.

What a star.

I just don't think there is enough credit for how good this bloke is after 4 knee reconstructions.

If he had never been injured there is every chance he could have been an all time great matching the career of Stevie J.
The fact that he can still kick bags of goals and jump and mark like he does is an absolute credit to him.
He would still walk into every forward line in the competition and you would have to think he's at best 75% of the player he could have been.

What a star.
He would have been a mainstay in the midfield by now, he wasn't meant to be a full time forward.

He would have been a mainstay in the midfield by now, he wasn't meant to be a full time forward.

Just my opinion but he is too good a mark and too smart a forward to have spent majority of him time in the middle. I reckon you would want a 50/50 split at worst

I'd hope freo would look into where he is at with the cats.

May be able to entice him - we did take bloody Silvia.

Those him a big shiney 2 year bargain basement deal

I'd hope freo would look into where he is at with the cats.

May be able to entice him - we did take bloody Silvia.

Those him a big shiney 2 year bargain basement deal

He ain't going to WA.

He loves the cats, it's difficult to manage him though as he wants to play every week yet burns out a bit by season's end. We will do our best to keep him, we've stuck by him through a fair bit.

He ain't going to WA.

He loves the cats, it's difficult to manage him though as he wants to play every week yet burns out a bit by season's end. We will do our best to keep him, we've stuck by him through a fair bit.
Yeah he wouldn't go to WA. Was a backhanded compliment

Sounds like he was quite extractable last year, I'm surprised no clubs wanted to meet his asking price. Basically guarantees you a few goals a game
I believe it wasn’t the asking price but the number of years Menzel was looking for. Geelong never wanted to lose Menzel but offered him a 1 year contract. Menz said i’ll see what else I can get and could not better that. As Chris Scott said last night on AFL360 players with injury histories like Menzel will only be offered successive one year contracts.

After losing Motlop I was just so rapt Menzel stayed at Geelong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best thing about him as a forward is he combines the bag of tricks with really wanting the ball. In a marking contest he will in the pack hitting it at full pace - reminds me of Modra in that regard. If only some of our other marking forwards wanted the footy...

He is, most definitely, the most potent small-mid sized forward in the AFL at the moment. Geelong don't necessarily need him to put on intense pressure if they can get others to do it.

The only issue is having both Menzel and an underperforming Hawkins in the one outfit.

Just my opinion but he is too good a mark and too smart a forward to have spent majority of him time in the middle. I reckon you would want a 50/50 split at worst

Yeah, his value forward is unquestionable. But his acceleration and marking around the field would have killed as a midfielder. He could leave players for dead from a standing start like Deledio but was more agile.

I actually thought he might play wing more when he came back, but not sure his body is up to it these days.

I think we never drop him for a final again either. After being injured and missing out on playing in 2011 as one of our best players, he probably wants a premiership more than anyone else.

And he's worked to get back from four knee reconstructions to be here trying. Hard to match that sort of effort and passion.

Also, after almost being traded, he comes out and starts the season as our leading goal scorer (by a long way). Love it.

Last edited:
I believe it wasn’t the asking price but the number of years Menzel was looking for. Geelong never wanted to lose Menzel but offered him a 1 year contract. Menz said i’ll see what else I can get and could not better that. As Chris Scott said last night on AFL360 players with injury histories like Menzel will only be offered successive one year contracts.

After losing Motlop I was just so rapt Menzel stayed at Geelong

It will be interesting to see if the same policy is enforced for perenially injured types like Lincoln McCarthy, Scott Selwood and Corey Gregson.
Menzel has been phenomenal, great to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back