Autopsy Rd 4 Blues annihilated by 86 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Doc is the only choice for captaincy for my mind. A solid, solid bloke that racks up the touches. Apart from that knee issue, he has been extremely durable. He is the defensive general down back, he is our Luke Hodge.
* Luke Hodge, he is our Sam Docherty!!!!

Tbh Cripps needs to lift as well, he's been more interested in getting agro at the opposition than putting in any real defensive effort of late.

BS mate. He's busting his nuts out there and getting a heavy tag. It was painful to watch him being held against the Roos on the weekend. There's only so much 1 kid at 23 years of age can do, and he's doing over and above for this team.

BS mate. He's busting his nuts out there and getting a heavy tag. It was painful to watch him being held against the Roos on the weekend. There's only so much 1 kid at 23 years of age can do, and he's doing over and above for this team.

Exactly, the past two weeks Cripps has been tackled as soon as the ball has left the umpires hands and he is still amongst our best players. I really like the way he is becoming a marking option.

If we can get Kennedy to build on his form from the weekend (outside of the first quarter obviously) and start providing another clearance option it might prevent the opposition being so Cripps focused and give him some breathing space.

Paul Roos On the Couch - "There are some structural changes they need to make. They need to get back to being a really hard team to score against. That should be their priority over the next month."

While I agree it is easier said than done - if you look at out back 6 it is missing Docherty, Marchbank & Williamson from 2017 and we are also missing Byrne who is the logical replacement for Docherty or Williamson- that is a lot of talent to lose but also there replacements aren't used to playing with each other.

I also think that Jones is really missing Docherty - Jones doesn't seem to be a great thinker and I believe Docherty took that role for him, told him where to position himself and then all Jones had to worry about was getting the ball.

Throw in the blues trying to take the game on a bit more and the loss of Gibbs (and now Murphy) out of the midfield it isn't surprising we are being socred against more.

+1.
He is carrying the team at the moment, useless players like Jacobs tagging him. Even though we are young, I would like to see us adopt the approach we had for Ryan Crowley years ago. Make life ultra difficult for these taggers, everyone in the team bump in to him, pinch him, whatever. Make life difficult for anyone trying to **** with Cripps.

Exactly, the past two weeks Cripps has been tackled as soon as the ball has left the umpires hands and he is still amongst our best players. I really like the way he is becoming a marking option.

If we can get Kennedy to build on his form from the weekend (outside of the first quarter obviously) and start providing another clearance option it might prevent the opposition being so Cripps focused and give him some breathing space.

For me one of the biggest disappointments has been Kennedy, I think he had 2 disposals in the first half against kanga’s, that’s playing on ball most the game.

We lack midfield depth big time.

For me one of the biggest disappointments has been Kennedy, I think he had 2 disposals in the first half against kanga’s, that’s playing on ball most the game.

Give the kid a chance, he is 21, has played just 22 games, is at a new club and rolled an ankle in the first quarter round 1 and missed round 2. He finished the game with 19 possessions, 7 marks, 5 tackles and 4 clearances - that is something to build on and if you are correct he only had 2 possessions to half time quite an impressive second half.

I'm going to be a broken record here, but have some damn patience.

Again, have patience. Only game time can fix this. We're on the right path.

Some of us have been waiting for 20 years - think we can start getting a touch impatient at some stage.

Give the kid a chance, he is 21, has played just 22 games, is at a new club and rolled an ankle in the first quarter round 1 and missed round 2. He finished the game with 19 possessions, 7 marks, 5 tackles and 4 clearances - that is something to build on and if you are correct he only had 2 possessions to half time quite an impressive second half.
Not to mention re rolling his ankle in the game and pushing through it.

Pretty sure he had a limited pre season to boot.

With a good run he should get better and better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not to mention re rolling his ankle in the game and pushing through it.

Pretty sure he had a limited pre season to boot.

With a good run he should get better and better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Exactly, he should take a lot of confidence out of his second half and the more he plays with the other mids the more the should eb able to know each others game and help each other more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think you might just be going off a tad before acceptances?

A 21 yo coming off a limited preseason and probably playing injured. Twenty two games, most of which with a midfield that includes Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio, Whitfield and Kelly.

Think I'll hold off on the hard judgements on this kid for a while yet.

Edit: and what Macca43 said.

Some of us have been waiting for 20 years - think we can start getting a touch impatient at some stage.
Some of us? Are you suggesting that some of us saw Carlton win a premiership recently? The only ones who haven’t been waiting 20+ years are those who aren’t old enough and whom have only seen us be crap, they would have even more reason to be frustrated and impatient.

Like it or not, we just didn’t have a core of players capable to build a premiership team around. We don’t want to end up like Carlton 2011 or Nth Melbourne more recently. We just have next to no leadership at the moment, short term pain for long term gain.

Do you think you might just be going off a tad before acceptances?

A 21 yo coming off a limited preseason and probably playing injured. Twenty two games, most of which with a midfield that includes Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio, Whitfield and Kelly.

Think I'll hold off on the hard judgements on this kid for a while yet.

Edit: and what Macca43 said.

Its also a bit like all the criticism of Dow, yes his kicking has been bloody ordinary but right now he is averaging more disposals than any other top 5 draft pick from 2017 and playing in a midfield dominated by lightly built kids - give him time to find his feet and adjust to the level and he will repay that faith.

On his kicking IMO it will only take a couple of targets hit lace out for him to improve that, at the moment I think he is in a bit of a snowball effect, stressing about prior mis-kicks which is tightening him up and making things worse, if he can come out and nail his first couple this week his confidence will build and away he goes.

If we want our club to start competing with the best, we need to start embracing the defensive effort that generally comes with it, there's a reason why opposition mids always have time and space when going forward and much of it comes down to a lack of defensive workrate from our mids inclusive of Cripps/Murph.

If we want our club to start competing with the best, we need to start embracing the defensive effort that generally comes with it, there's a reason why opposition mids always have time and space when going forward and much of it comes down to a lack of defensive workrate from our mids inclusive of Cripps/Murph.

Last game out Murphy laid 8 tackles and Cripps has had 7, 6, 1 & 6 - ho much more do you want them to do?

Last game out Murphy laid 8 tackles and Cripps has had 7, 6, 1 & 6 - ho much more do you want them to do?
I want our senior players to consistently run hard both ways and set the standard for effort our younger players, which to date hasn't been taking place.
Many of our players seem to give up as soon as the ball leaves their immediate vicinity and this definitely needs to be improved on.

I want our senior players to consistently run hard both ways and set the standard for effort our younger players, which to date hasn't been taking place.
Many of our players seem to give up as soon as the ball leaves their immediate vicinity and this definitely needs to be improved on.
That is unfair on both Cripps and Murphy. They are trying their best but are being nullified by stronger midfields. You can't place the whole blame on these 2 it's not correct. Imagine if both missed this week! Record score inbound.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back