Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
There seems to be enough determination on the part of the remaining TSL clubs to retain a statewide competition in some shape or form and there is no doubt the standard is higher than regional football but regional footy also has its good points in terms of less travel and gives supporters the chance to watch their favourite team every week. The current TSL model is looking pretty ugly and unworkable going forward in my opinion and AFL Tas would already know that the only way they have any chance to get any North West participation is to go to a North/South conference. Four clubs in the north and four in the south seems to be many peoples favourite model but I am wondering whether 6 in each region might work better. I know it will dilute the talent a bit but it gives the opportunity for more home games for teams in their home region. Two full home and away rounds in each region equals 10 games then one full crossover round. The roster could be arranged so that the northern teams played 3 games in the south and 3 games against the 3 other southern teams in the home region meaning only 3 north/south trips for all clubs and this could be reversed each season and would end up with a total of 16 games and then maybe there could be a couple of extra games where the sides in each region played each other for third time to make an 18 game roster. In the south they would only have to add one side to make six teams and that would probably be New Norfolk. In the North it would be Launceston, North Launceston and maybe South Launceston. On the coast it could be Burnie, Devonport and Ulverstone. The problems on the coast would be whether 3 teams would be sustainable and the real big problem is that it would rip the heart out of the NWFL which nobody wants to see happen. This may not be popular but its just an idea.

Its all about the funding from the AFL. Whether they CBF with a TSL competition. I've put my 2 bob in for 8 teams, 2NW, 2N & 4S. It may be too late for that.
It wouldn't have been if AFLTas had any sort of competency over the last few years, & again CBF with Tas footy. If we get a 1NW, 3N & 5S, it'll be another short lived disaster.

Gawd knows what the 'expert' panel will come up with. They should be looking at it from the community & logistical position. That is to limit travel, maximise local games & maximise the coaching & playing standards, not just do what suits the AFL in the short term (to make it look like they are doing 'something').

Again, if they'd have been showing any interest in Tas footy (their job, I would have thought) they would have sorted the problems out before it came to this current mess.

The other thing is this stupidity about junior footy needing clearances from regional to TSL teams, when they are in the same club!!! How dumb are these clods????

I see the u18's are still travelling early in the morning. Couldn't they even sort that out over the years? It needs an u18 comp in the North & South. They should not be travelling across the state for footy. Its crazy & a disgrace.

The way they should have done it before was to have the top 4 from the SFL, the top two the NTFL and the top two from the NWFL start in the TSL and after 5 seasons have relegation. So say if the Dockers were wooden spooners they would go back to the NWFL and the premiers would take over. etc.

The way they should have done it before was to have the top 4 from the SFL, the top two the NTFL and the top two from the NWFL start in the TSL and after 5 seasons have relegation. So say if the Dockers were wooden spooners they would go back to the NWFL and the premiers would take

Not necessarily the solution. If you are going to reivent or reinvigorate the SWL. Then clubs should apply for inclussion However they the clubs should also meet a criteria ie, Desire to complete at a higher level. Financial base and stability. Access to Sponsorship,proven track record. Ability to recruit players to sustain firsts reserves and emphasis on recruiting Colts players from a designated catchment.
The SWL also has to have an obligation to ensure all clbs are treated equally especially in game and finals locations, prepare to focx out of the "square" eg modfied reserves sides ie 16 players

However IMO i still believe that SWL is U/S it needs a rest for a couple of years allow the clubs a chance to rebuild and refocus and if the desire is there then go for it.

Looks like the TSL may be on the way out. It would need major changes in the North/South balance to have any hope of surviving anyway in my opinion and I think the reality is there will never be a north west presence again in the current format which would be a concern for the AFL and that's the issue that has really brought the situation to where it is now. Even if they did introduce a combined north west team as they originally intended it wouldn't alter the dominance of the 2 northern teams, in fact if the coastal team could get the best talent on the whole coast to play TSL it would probably make the situation worse by adding another dominant team. It seems like the steering committee have other ideas and we should all wait and see what they come up with before making any judgement on what they are proposing.

Nice & sunny day today but looks like rain tomorrow so that should make it closer than it might otherwise have been.
North Launceston 30, but it could be a blowout
Launceston 45, will Lauderdale make a comeback at home?
Clarence 110. Easy one expects.

I have believed and have stated that Statewide League reboot in 2009 should of been 8 teams
4 Southern, 2 Northern and 2 North West 2
However Hawkboy's model of 12 teams and two conference 6 South 3 North and 3 North West is more balanced than the 10 team model that was launched.
And would of worked better for the NW clubs especially, pretty sure an Ulverstone team would of been able to compete from the start and maybe you could of had that Kingston or Huon side as the sixth Southern team, unfortunately Scott Wade and crew made a boo boo from the start !
The problem is the north of state is still broke. The resurgence hasn't made it north of Brighton; Launceston and the north-west are still pretty much in the same depression that saw us all leave the state in the 1990s.
An eight team comp would have been far better - three in Launceston can never work. Even two is a stretch, but any less gives access to far too much talent. Financially, a six team comp was all that was (barely) possible. Demographically, an eight team one was necessary. And that wasn't/isn't helped by both local and Melbourne-based management focusing on AFL games rather than Tasmanian Football.

The problem is the north of state is still broke. The resurgence hasn't made it north of Brighton; Launceston and the north-west are still pretty much in the same depression that saw us all leave the state in the 1990s.
An eight team comp would have been far better - three in Launceston can never work. Even two is a stretch, but any less gives access to far too much talent. Financially, a six team comp was all that was (barely) possible. Demographically, an eight team one was necessary. And that wasn't/isn't helped by both local and Melbourne-based management focusing on AFL games rather than Tasmanian Football.

Nothing is helped by the long term (mis) deeds of AFLTas, who clearly aren't interested in Tasmanian football. They get their rocks off about football IN Tasmania, the imported kind. They're not even interested in junior football.
If the stuff floating about that the AFL will kill the TSL, that will be a complete divorce from Tasmanian football by the AFL. If we are 'given' some sort of team in the NEAFL, that'll put our football on a par with Aspley. A suburb of Brisbane.
If we get a Mariners rerun, those kids not drafted will go to the mainland anyway. Whats the point of them staying to play 5th rate regional football.
Geez, even soccer has a state league, & netball!!!!!

Sorry, 2:24, slightly late again. You'd believe me though, I'm sure, if I said Launceston, Clarence and North Launceston would be the tips of just about everyone in the English-speaking world...

TSL Seniors: Final Scores
Glenorchy: 4.2, 7.3, 10.4, 16.7 (103)
Nth Launceston: 2.0, 3.4, 4.7, 7.9 (51)
At York Park.

Clarence: 2.2, 5.7, 9.13, 13.18 (96)
Nth Hobart: 1.2, 3.4, 3.7, 4.8 (32)
At North Hobart Oval.

Launceston: 6.4, 10.11, 12.12, 18.16 (124)
Lauderdale: 4.2, 6.3, 8.7, 9.8 (62)
At Lauderdale Oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win by Glenorchy up at york park. At least it adds a bit of life to the competition.
Kingborough v Lauderdale is a big match, especially in round 4

Great win by Glenorchy up at york park. At least it adds a bit of life to the competition.
Kingborough v Lauderdale is a big match, especially in round 4

My Magpie mate said NL had a few outs due to illness. Still a wins a win. I didn't think NL would lose any. It appears Lauderdale are in bother. Launy slaughtered them. Still early days I guess.
NH had a go early but fell apart after 1/2 time. Next friday night at KGV could be ugly. Hope not. Maybe it'll rain, heavily :)

Guess Trisha Squires anger about talk of the TSL getting the chop would be that someone has leaked the info?
It seems to me based on whats in the papers the TSL presidents are the first point of contact in this review which gives the impression that their opinions are more important than everybody else's and is not a good look for what is supposed to be an independent review in my opinion. I hope they give everyone at all levels of footy in the state and for that matter from all over the state to have an input into this review.

Guess Trisha Squires anger about talk of the TSL getting the chop would be that someone has leaked the info?

AFL/Squires denies all.

Given the Wade years & the cheese maker, you can take anything said by AFL Apparatchiks with a hefty load of salt. The lack of trust is unfortunately well deserved.

It seems to me based on whats in the papers the TSL presidents are the first point of contact in this review which gives the impression that their opinions are more important than everybody else's and is not a good look for what is supposed to be an independent review in my opinion. I hope they give everyone at all levels of footy in the state and for that matter from all over the state to have an input into this review.

I get the feeling they are worried about what might happen. I guess its their job to make some noise so as the AFL 'might' hear a local view.

We need to sort out the flow from juniors to regional to TSL. How AFLTas haven't sorted that out before now is yet another disgrace. Talking to all levels of footy is vital.

Maybe we should all write down how we see things developing for the good of the community game & draft chances for our kids??

The way they should have done it before was to have the top 4 from the SFL, the top two the NTFL and the top two from the NWFL start in the TSL and after 5 seasons have relegation. So say if the Dockers were wooden spooners they would go back to the NWFL and the premiers would take over. etc.
The gap between TSL and the major regional leagues (except probably NTFA) does not seem that great either financially or on-field, so promotion/relegation could work. It is probably the only state league where this is true, even if AFL Reserves to get split out in other states. One problem would be if you have a few years of, for example, five Hobart teams and one coastal side as the premier competition. That could very easily see teams, yet again, refusing to take part in the top tier.

Would the few country leagues still in existence be included? And what do the regional leagues do if they either gain or lose extra teams.

The gap between TSL and the major regional leagues (except probably NTFA) does not seem that great either financially or on-field, so promotion/relegation could work. It is probably the only state league where this is true, even if AFL Reserves to get split out in other states. One problem would be if you have a few years of, for example, five Hobart teams and one coastal side as the premier competition. That could very easily see teams, yet again, refusing to take part in the top tier.

Would the few country leagues still in existence be included? And what do the regional leagues do if they either gain or lose extra teams.
This review should be more than just a reorganisation of the competition makeup. It needs to ensure that the teams in the any elite comp all have access to modern coaching programmes and enough funding to ensure this happens. The lower leagues should not be left out in this regard either.

Still of the opinion that the SWL is not well.IMO i believe that it's time to give the SWL a rest go back to Three Recgional Leagues,.
The NWFL have a good balance albeit the previous SWL clubs are not dominating the comp.
The Southern League would also be balanced with the 5 existing SWL with the inclussion of three SFL clubs, i am sure that we would see some good and well patronized matches which should swell the coffers of the clubs.
As to the North. The three Launceston based clubs and the perhaps Scottsdale, Longford, Deloraine, George Town. Be included

As stated before, after a couple years re evaluate then see if there is a desire to re instate a SWL??????

Cant agree with the gap between TSL and regional leagues not being that big on field, its massive, for all the faults of the league and bullshite that is going on, the standard of the football is not an issue at all.

Still of the opinion that the SWL is not well.IMO i believe that it's time to give the SWL a rest go back to Three Recgional Leagues,.
The NWFL have a good balance albeit the previous SWL clubs are not dominating the comp.
The Southern League would also be balanced with the 5 existing SWL with the inclussion of three SFL clubs, i am sure that we would see some good and well patronized matches which should swell the coffers of the clubs.
As to the North. The three Launceston based clubs and the perhaps Scottsdale, Longford, Deloraine, George Town. Be included

As stated before, after a couple years re evaluate then see if there is a desire to re instate a SWL??????

So maybe onto a third SWL? Why not the clubs & AFL get this one working right first? Its never been balanced & run properly. Thats the first thing IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back