Podcast GCSUNSCAST - Gold Coast Suns Podcast

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hi Fellow Suns Fans,
as has been mooted on the forum several times in the last few months and more so this week after my guest appearance on the Brisbane Lions BigFooty Board podcast, it is time we have our own suns based podcast. I'm taking matters into my own hands as the club has failed to produce since kieron left a few years back and don't appear to be moving down this path.

i will be trying to kickstart this podcast which will be known as the SunsCast.
whilst i'm not a fan of hearing my own voice i have had podcasting experience in the past and can dust off an old pro tools setup that will allow me to produce a quality piece of media audibly.

The challenge on my end will be content. So i put the call out to those on this board to contribute each week with questions or even come on the show and have an opinion.

Questions and suggested topics can be posted in these sunscast threads. If you have skype and a microphone (Gaming headset, phone ear buds /with mic) i would love to arrange a call and you can guest on the episode.

i would love to put an episode out this week but can't guarantee with the late notice and possible technical difficulties, but will endevour to have one out as soon as possible.

as mentioned previously aswell if i can get this off the ground with a comfortable format and some sort of quality i plan to approach the club and try to get access to some players or staff potentially even make it an official club podcast, but this will all be dependent on the support we generate here.

If your interested in listening to a 10-20 minute cast each week like this post so i can gauge the interest.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I remember there was one last year a bloke from cairns and sydney i think were doing it.

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
Hi Fellow Suns Fans,
as has been mooted on the forum several times in the last few months and more so this week after my guest appearance on the Brisbane Lions BigFooty Board podcast, it is time we have our own suns based podcast. I'm taking matters into my own hands as the club has failed to produce since kieron left a few years back and don't appear to be moving down this path.

whilst i'm not a fan of hearing my own voice i have had podcasting experience in the past and can dust off an old pro tools setup that will allow me to produce a quality piece of media audibly.

The challenge on my end will be content. So i put the call out to those on this board to contribute each week with questions or even come on the show and have an opinion.

Questions and suggested topics can be posted in these sunscast threads. If you have skype and a microphone (Gaming headset, phone ear buds /with mic) i would love to arrange a call and you can guest on the episode.

i would love to put an episode out this week but can't guarantee with the late notice and possible technical difficulties, but will endevour to have one out as soon as possible.

as mentioned previously aswell if i can get this off the ground with a comfortable format and some sort of quality i plan to approach the club and try to get access to some players or staff potentially even make it an official club podcast, but this will all be dependent on the support we generate here.

If your interested in listening to a 10-20 minute cast each week like this post so i can gauge the interest.
A mate of mine has taken over a Geelong one this year, they only run theirs monthly (roughly), might be easier for content if you dont have to find guests /content every week

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
i've run a test of the equipment and all is good to go.
now to work on some content.
they're is a chance i'll record tomorrow night.
send through questions or topics.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Hi Fellow Suns Fans,

Yeah love the podcast format and would be great to have some quality Suns content given the lack of it coming from the Suns official channels.

IMO I wouldn't want the Podcast to be aligned to the Suns officially as I would prefer that people be free to air their opinion without being caught up in 'media speak' to curry favor with the Club.

My preference would be that a club pod be respectful but honest and come from a supporters perspective. I haven't listened to how other AFL clubs do their pods but I do listen to a 76ers pod which has a good tone to it in terms of the hosts being free to express their opinions about the players and the organisation.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

so i got caught up in it and have posted the pilot episode of the SunsCast.
i bit rusty but i hope to iron out a structure and some more confident speaking in coming weeks and with more practice.
had to get the season recap out of the way but now that is done can focus on more fan opinionated topics.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast

i bit rusty but i hope to iron out a structure and some more confident speaking in coming weeks and with more practice.
had to get the season recap out of the way but now that is done can focus on more fan opinionated topics.

Man Of Action Sunner. You don’t stuff about.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Mate, what a great start.....don't give up on it.....you're the man...:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal

Trying not to say umm every 3rd word was always my issue. Will try and give it a listen when I get home.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Trying not to say umm every 3rd word was always my issue. Will try and give it a listen when I get home.
Thats an issue too. Edited in protools to cut out most of the stutters and blank moments. Instead of saying "um" i just stay quiet. Easier to cut up that way.

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Good on you for having a crack at this. I have a couple of suggestions for topics.
1/ Where are they now? about our past players. Joel Wilkinson & Liam Patrick are a couple that come to mind that have had interesting journeys. Maybe Josh Toy?
2/ Before they joined the Suns. Dig out some articles about our players from before they joined the Suns. I remember reading some good ones about Harley Bennell & Trent McKenzie years ago.

Karmichael Hunt has been involved in some interesting incidents both before & after his time with the Suns, but you mightn't want to go into that.

Dammit

Challenge Accepted
Mar 20, 2010
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Gold Coast
hey SunnerSS - stoked you got one up and running!! congrats!!!

love to get involved if you ever feel like opening it up to others.

I created Sunscast with SUNS and a few others. I feel super uncomfortable with you continuing on under the moniker 'sunscast' unless I played some part, which I'm open to. I don't know why, just feel like it's my baby and did intend to start it up again one day.

ultimately I don't own the babe or anything haha so you could tell me to piss off, but wanted to let you know my feelings.

congrats again on starting it up!!!

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
hey SunnerSS - stoked you got one up and running!! congrats!!!

love to get involved if you ever feel like opening it up to others.

I created Sunscast with SUNS and a few others. I feel super uncomfortable with you continuing on under the moniker 'sunscast' unless I played some part, which I'm open to. I don't know why, just feel like it's my baby and did intend to start it up again one day.

ultimately I don't own the babe or anything haha so you could tell me to piss off, but wanted to let you know my feelings.

congrats again on starting it up!!!
Thanks mate.
I had no idea there was a prior SUNSCAST, so didnt intend to cut your grass. Its a catchy name ay.
Would love to make it a duo or even just a regular appearance from you or anyone else.
If your keen to be involved im planning to record tuesday or wednesday nights for an hour.
I use pro tools to edit it after recording to clean up any bad audio issues or any of my ramblings and stutters, like forgetting what i was talking about.
So if your keen we can setup a skype call. Ill send a message out monday asking for any guest hosts and will go from there in a private msg.

Dammit

Challenge Accepted
Mar 20, 2010
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks mate.
I had no idea there was a prior SUNSCAST, so didnt intend to cut your grass. Its a catchy name ay.
Would love to make it a duo or even just a regular appearance from you or anyone else.
If your keen to be involved im planning to record tuesday or wednesday nights for an hour.
I use pro tools to edit it after recording to clean up any bad audio issues or any of my ramblings and stutters, like forgetting what i was talking about.
So if your keen we can setup a skype call. Ill send a message out monday asking for any guest hosts and will go from there in a private msg.
let me know what time and I'll be there legend!

yeah I found editing, trimming dead audio, adding stings and uploading took at least 6 hours a week - and was basically the sole reason I stopped after a couple of years.

I still have a decent enough quality mic which should sound okay through Skype hopefully. we used to do the same thing back in the day.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast

All right, so I haven't had time to listen to this until now, but wanted to belatedly congratulate you.
The spooky part is that your voice is very similar to mine to it kind of sounded like I was listening to myself at times!
I liked the format and you have a couple of sections with a lot of potential, especially the NEAFL update and selection speculation.
It seems to me that you just need a couple of sound effects - nothing outrageous - and some colour comments from guests.
You went for 16 odd minutes, but had 4 rounds to discuss so you'll need a guest to help you with content and mix things up a little.
I'm happy to contribute as little or as much as you want/need, so let me know the best way to go about it - suspect I may need to get some headphones (not cocaine, actual audio equipment)

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
All right, so I haven't had time to listen to this until now, but wanted to belatedly congratulate you.
The spooky part is that your voice is very similar to mine to it kind of sounded like I was listening to myself at times!
I liked the format and you have a couple of sections with a lot of potential, especially the NEAFL update and selection speculation.
It seems to me that you just need a couple of sound effects - nothing outrageous - and some colour comments from guests.
You went for 16 odd minutes, but had 4 rounds to discuss so you'll need a guest to help you with content and mix things up a little.
I'm happy to contribute as little or as much as you want/need, so let me know the best way to go about it - suspect I may need to get some headphones (not cocaine, actual audio equipment)
I guested on the lions podcast the day before and just used my gaming headset, i think the audio turned out great. So nothing too fancy required. I use a logitech G933 but ive heard the cloud 9 range is good. The recording of the sunscast used a NT5A microphone, it was studio grade quality when i bought it 10 years ago.

As far as content i knew id have a recap take up a lot of time for episode 1 but was thinking of having a more indepth review and preview each week to fill that void, touch on any suns in the media articles and also discuss player performance.

I dont want to be the guy talking to myself for 15-20 minutes so was hoping some people would agree to jump on board, sounds like yourself and WOD are keen.

As far as stingers to break it up a bit. Yeah that needs some work. Ive approached the club about permission to use theme song grabs for intro etc. No response yet, will focus on the content first and over time will add in little touches like that to make it sound more professionally produced.

Last edited:

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hi guys/gals,
What a win hey.
A bit stressful near the end but it got the adrenaline pumping.
Planning to record this weeks sunscast tuesday night. WELLER OVER DEW will be joining me as guest host. Any questions or topic requests are welcome.
This will be a first attempt for me to utilise skype into the recording software so fingers crossed the technical difficulties remain at a minimum and ill hopefully have it out wednesday at the latest (maybe tuesday night if i pull a late one editing).

gosuns!

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Maybe have a look at if we have underestimated the impact Optus oval played in our results since. With Buddy added to the long list of casualties, perhaps it's partly why we have seen a decline in performance. Adam Simpson and John Longmire have compared it to early etihad surfaces.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back