All Australian
Mar 30, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Melbourne City
Hi all,

Just over a month ago I was unexpectedly let go from my job. (company restructure/buy out) Because I was still new to that company (7months) my job was easily dispensable. Since I was let go I took the first two weeks of unemployment and did NOTHING (BUT also my mum was in the hospital as well), but since commencing my job search (6 weeks) I'm yet to find anything solid of even be invited for an interview. I've signed up for agencies and I'm yet to hear back.

Question is; how long of a gap between jobs on resumes is considered bad?? Am I overreacting and should just 'chill'?

HALLP!

Hi all,

Just over a month ago I was unexpectedly let go from my job. (company restructure/buy out) Because I was still new to that company (7months) my job was easily dispensable. Since I was let go I took the first two weeks of unemployment and did NOTHING (BUT also my mum was in the hospital as well), but since commencing my job search (6 weeks) I'm yet to find anything solid of even be invited for an interview. I've signed up for agencies and I'm yet to hear back.

Question is; how long of a gap between jobs on resumes is considered bad?? Am I overreacting and should just 'chill'?

HALLP!

Longest time I have been out of work is 2 months from office to office (6 weeks to Job offer then started work 2 weeks after that). I just took the opportunity to relax for 2 weeks then start looking for a job. Was building my house so wasnt too distressed about being off work.

I think 3 months is the threshold between 'taking break' and 'something must be wrong with this dude'

What industry are you looking to get into?

Longest time I have been out of work is 2 months from office to office (6 weeks to Job offer then started work 2 weeks after that). I just took the opportunity to relax for 2 weeks then start looking for a job. Was building my house so wasnt too distressed about being off work.

I think 3 months is the threshold between 'taking break' and 'something must be wrong with this dude'

What industry are you looking to get into?

I've always been in customer service (8 years) but recently changed paths into facilities co-ordination and enjoyed it, just really shattered it was short-lived:(

Just don't put the months in your employment history on your resume.

Say you worked for company x 2017-2018 instead of July 17 to Feb 18 or whatever.

That way it is not an issue until an interview. Then if asked specifically at an interview be honest about why and when the other job ended, particularly if you are going to use them as a reference, and then say that your mum was sick and in hospital at the time so you took some extra time off work to look after her. They won't prod you for further details and you are not even lying.

A month or so not too bad, you just need to own it and have a prepared answer:

I took time off for travel.
I am taking time to find the right sort of job, not any job (this can be a real plus for your chances, just make sure you are a good candidate and can back it up)
Time off for family.
I wanted to do a couple of short courses in xxxx first (try to make it relevant, even if it's advanced excel or basic project management)

Keep at it mate you'll get rejections but you only need one acceptance in the end

Not to be picky, but spelling is important.

The title of your post is "Unemployed-Need Advise".

I think you mean "Need Advice".

I may be being pedantic, but some employers don't even read your resume if they see spelling mistakes in it.

It's a good point.

When being considered for employment you are being judged. Employers can only see the top of the iceberg, they can't see how good and dedicated you will be day to day. But they can see whether you go to the effort to make the small interaction that is a job application to be polished and professional.

If at all possible, contact the person by phone who is advertising for the job.
Don't just send out generic cover letters. You're better off applying for 3 jobs really well and sincerely than a dozen by just spamming out cover letters/resumes.

If at all possible, contact the person by phone who is advertising for the job.
Don't just send out generic cover letters. You're better off applying for 3 jobs really well and sincerely than a dozen by just spamming out cover letters/resumes.

Yeah this is good advice. If a contact is published, call them to have an informal chat about the job, being prepared to say the basics about your work history and maybe a couple of questions ready to show you are interested.

If no contact is published, try to find out a contact by calling the office.

Initiative is a good trait to demonstrate. And when they go through the applications, they may well remember your call and give you a go.

Hi all,

HALLP!
How did you go?
End up finding something?

A month or so not too bad, you just need to own it and have a prepared answer:

I took time off for travel.
I am taking time to find the right sort of job, not any job (this can be a real plus for your chances, just make sure you are a good candidate and can back it up)
Time off for family.
I wanted to do a couple of short courses in xxxx first (try to make it relevant, even if it's advanced excel or basic project management)

Keep at it mate you'll get rejections but you only need one acceptance in the end

This is the best answer, I had a 4 month gap some time ago and pretended I did this, can get dicey if they want details (where did you go etc) but it's the best way. If they really want you they'll take that as an explanation cause their boss higher up may question them on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back