Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We know how bad they can be, but watching tonight they put me to sleep. Monotone, sparse, disinterested commentary.

Darcy, Brayshaw, and Richo....

It was a possible top 4 clash between the Cats and Power... and there was plenty of drama during the game. The Power were in the contest until the last 7 minutes.

On Thursday night we had the WAFL on channel 7 and it was a pleasure listening to commentators simply commentating the game. Like old fashioned radio coverage. Too many commentators all thinking they need to talk endlessly about anything but the game in front of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They hired Carey as a commentator, a man no one likes that has no charisma, intelligence or integrity purely because he could play footy. Channel 7 just don't have a clue. How do you regularly have commentators people absolutely hate and keep them for years? To some extent I get Taylor but a guy like Darcy?

The whole industry has just become a big boys' club with the same few guys rotating through the various radio/television outlets that cover the game.

If you listen to Terry Wallace on SEN, i think he has a segment on every program from breakfast to evenings.

Darcy talks all week on MMM, then Talking Footy, then the Kick, then the TV broadcast.

and so on...

It seems that ownership of footy media has become concentrated in the hands of a few scrooges.

Thank god for footy podcasts on the net. There should be live podcasts that commentate games.

Can't stand the slavish reinforcing of every umpiring decision as 100% correct.

Watching games from the 80s the commentators used to smash the umpires week in week out. Especially the ex-players, Richards, Skilton would hammer the umps every week.

The times before control by the Politburo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back