News 2021 St.Kilda AFLW Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a conversation with a foundation member of an interstate AFLW Club yesterday.
I thought I’d share her observations.
2. She thinks it ridiculous that the girls are playing on the same oval dimensions as men given few of them can currently kick in excess of 40m.
3. She asked why AFLW could not share the same ground dimensions as AFLX and play 15 a side.
Think about the practicality of this.

This suddenly means you can't play at the main grounds. Can't play at clubs training grounds, meaning no AFLW at Moorabbin. They're not going to keep shift ground markings and goalposts into the centre of the ground for the woman. Also moves the spectators much further away unless you're allowing them on the ground (not sure clubs would like this very much).

Woman want to play Aussie Rules footy. That is played on an oval. Sure you can find smaller sized grounds for some of the games (Punt Rd, Glenferrie are two that come to mind) but you're not going to build woman specific grounds. You need to facilitate both men's and woman's.

The scoring thing will improve with time.

Think about the practicality of this.

This suddenly means you can't play at the main grounds. Can't play at clubs training grounds, meaning no AFLW at Moorabbin. They're not going to keep shift ground markings and goalposts into the centre of the ground for the woman. Also moves the spectators much further away unless you're allowing them on the ground (not sure clubs would like this very much).

Woman want to play Aussie Rules footy. That is played on an oval. Sure you can find smaller sized grounds for some of the games (Punt Rd, Glenferrie are two that come to mind) but you're not going to build woman specific grounds. You need to facilitate both men's and woman's.

The scoring thing will improve with time.

they could use Trevor barker and Port Melbourne grounds and bring the boundaries in. Have smaller boutique set ups. Princess park etc all really easy access and not too big Just keep the length and pull the sides in with line marking.

Agree with bringing in the boundaries.

But just a little perspective on the scores, these are the results from the 2nd ever season of the VFL in the corresponding round:

SciULBB.png

The scoring did improve, the scoring will improve.

But just a little perspective on the scores, these are the results from the 2nd ever season of the VFL in the corresponding round:

SciULBB.png

How's the saints girls going benchy? Would love to see some updates in here on their season

How's the saints girls going benchy? Would love to see some updates in here on their season

I don't know much about our team to be honest.

A few were formerly listed in season 1, but none of the Saints VFL girls play AFLW currently that I know of. There's a push for the AFLW girls to be ripped from their home teams (Darebin, Diamond Creek etc) to play with their AFL club's VFL affilitate, so the notable Victorian based players won't be playing for Saints any time soon either.

3 of their first 4 matches will be curtain raisers to Sandringham's VFL games, so I'll try to get out to a couple then!

I thought she made some interesting points.
If kicking penetration is going to be less than 40m for the foreseeable future; that’s a 5 kick transition (rounded up and allowing for running patterns and angles) on MCG size grounds.
An AFL game on a 225m+ long MCG would be the equivalent.
That has to impact scoring, game day tactics and strategy.
As for playing on a soccer pitch, I think her point was more directed at the ground dimensions rather than shape.
And congestion?
20% less players on an oval two thirds the size.
Congestion might be a problem except there are no midfielders, and the defensive 6 cannot enter the other teams forward 40 (as a solution - given the AFL has already issued an edict along similar lines).
(Remember there is a precedent for this: VFA teams played 16 a side for years).
As I said, it was really interesting to hear her views.
I think it misleads the AFLW experience if we think in AFL terms.
I’ve not watched a lot of AFLW, she has seen every game: live and on television.
She’s saying the two are not equivalent and should not be measured as such.
I’m not sure I disagree.....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st...d/news-story/4f42c61a97313a82f4a96a6ce763a30c

Tom Morris reporting a new deal with REFLEX for the womens team and they haven't even joined the competition yet. Seems like they're starting to make a contribution to the club. Hinted at $1,000,000 a year.

https://www.3aw.com.au/afl-chiefs-clip-didnt-go-down-well-with-struggling-club/

Gerard Healy suggesting here that the AFL may have brokered this in some way. Is the Lethlean/McLachlan alliance paying dividends?

upload_2018-3-14_13-56-4.png

Ladies jumpers look great!

Last edited:
Peta Searle locked down to a long term contract extension according to Caro.

Pieces falling into place nicely. Bomb af jumper, ridic sponsorship $$$, gun coach

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st...d/news-story/4f42c61a97313a82f4a96a6ce763a30c

Tom Morris reporting a new deal with REFLEX for the womens team and they haven't even joined the competition yet. Seems like they're starting to make a contribution to the club. Hinted at $1,000,000 a year.

https://www.3aw.com.au/afl-chiefs-clip-didnt-go-down-well-with-struggling-club/

Gerard Healy suggesting here that the AFL may have brokered this in some way. Is the Lethlean/McLachlan alliance paying dividends?

View attachment 469637

Ladies jumpers look great!
Yes they do.
FYI: on the website vid where this was announced Reflex is introduced as a Co-Major sponsor.
Watch this space.

SciULBB.png

That's a glaring false equivalency.
The second season of the VFA was held less than 30 years after the invention of the sport, within which countless changes were made to the game, sometimes weekly.
The second season of the AFLW was held with the benefit of over 150 years of knowledge and development within the game, not to mention the benefit of high quality facilities, equipment, grounds, sports science etc.

If you place unrealistic expectations, you make it more difficult to succeed.

I'm actually looking forward to the chicks team getting up and running.
Yes I would've preferred a stand alone men's VFL team first. But that didn't happen so let's get behind and support what we do have. Be good if they can have a decent season in the VFL to give us some momentum for when they join the AFLW.
Don't understand any negatively towards the women's footy. It's a different type of game to the men's. It's much lower scoring and probably always will be , just accept it for what it is. And if you don't like it don't watch it.
Simple.
Those jumpers look great as well.
GO SAINTS

I'm actually looking forward to the chicks team getting up and running.
Yes I would've preferred a stand alone men's VFL team first. But that didn't happen so let's get behind and support what we do have. Be good if they can have a decent season in the VFL to give us some momentum for when they join the AFLW.
Don't understand any negatively towards the women's footy. It's a different type of game to the men's. It's much lower scoring and probably always will be , just accept it for what it is. And if you don't like it don't watch it.
Simple.
Those jumpers look great as well.
GO SAINTS
Have been a critic of AFLW but not because it is female ( I really like female soccer and cricket) but think the skills are poor.
Sat down and watched the last qtr of Pies v Crows yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the contest.
Skills still ordinary but improving, intent by the women unquestioned.

Will be much more interested with a Saints team.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been a critic of AFLW but not because it is female ( I really like female soccer and cricket) but think the skills are poor.
Sat down and watched the last qtr of Pies v Crows yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the contest.
Skills still ordinary but improving, intent by the women unquestioned.

Will be much more interested with a Saints team.

Yeah the skills can be ordinary at times. Unfortunately we can say that about our men's team the last few yrs .:oops:
Cant fault the intent though as some of these girls go in hammer & tong. Like I said I don't really compare it that much to the men's game as I think it will always be a bit scrappier and lower scoring.
I agree Joffa, it will be a lot more interesting to watch when we have our own side.
I watched Crows V Pies yesterday as well.
Not a bad game at all considering it was blowing a gale and I hate both clubs:D

Interesting comment by Caro about Peta Searle being "marginalized" at St Kilda. There was wind from it in that blog article posted a few days ago about the VFL alignment with Sandringham where they mentioned Peta was on ball bag duties, hardly the development coach she was announced as being.

We don't know if she was demoted, or simply accepted the role of the head of female development and coaching. So no point raising it as an issue if there isn't one, Caro didn't sound exactly sure. I'm sure we'll hear more about it now it's a topic of contention.

Also, the VFLW girls played their first game last week, and another one yesterday - and we came through for our first win

Luckily Essendon are onto it:

Interesting comment by Caro about Peta Searle being "marginalized" at St Kilda. There was wind from it in that blog article posted a few days ago about the VFL alignment with Sandringham where they mentioned Peta was on ball bag duties, hardly the development coach she was announced as being.

We don't know if she was demoted, or simply accepted the role of the head of female development and coaching. So no point raising it as an issue if there isn't one, Caro didn't sound exactly sure. I'm sure we'll hear more about it now it's a topic of contention.
So why use such emotive words as marginalised if she isnt sure?

She is head coach of a football team, maybe they want her to concentrate on that.
Wilson can GAGF'ed we have a rare good week and this cow is trying to infer unfair treatment.

Piss off if you dont know.

She is head coach of a football team, maybe they want her to concentrate on that.
Wilson can GAGF'ed we have a rare good week and this cow is trying to infer unfair treatment.

We need to remember that Caro is not a journalist who reports football.
She is an opinion writer.
And likes to ride that high moral ground.
Facts have never stopped Caro from pontificating in judgement.
For example: according to her the recently announced $13mill upgrade at Moorabbin is because Linton St is in a marginal electorate. Whereas the $20mill upgrade at Carlton and the upgrades at both Western and Ballarat ovals are due to the respective clubs negotiating teams.

Wont be popular but Searle is now at the right level. She isn't an AFL coach. And I base this on reasonable knowledge.

Wont be popular but Searle is now at the right level. She isn't an AFL coach. And I base this on reasonable knowledge.

If this is the case, so be it. Tokenism is very patronising and only serves to keep the PC brigade happy. It shouldn't be about popularity.
Best person for the job - always.

The Southern Saints have sent a stern warning to the VFLW, smashing a vastly more experienced Williamstown outfit by 80 points on Saturday.

Formed in the off-season, the Saints have flourished under the tutelage of Head Coach Peta Searle, and their hard work is paying off.

On an oddly calm Saturday afternoon by the bay, the Saints’ improved ball movement and team cohesion was evident from the outset.

The Saints burst out of the blocks in an utterly dominant first term, a theme that would continue throughout the rest of the day.

The women’s side extended their lead at every change, using their size to outmuscle the smaller Williamstown and restrict their total to just 1.1.7 for the day.

The Saints were impressive all afternoon, booting a huge 13.9.87 to cap off a pre-season where they’ve seen significant improvements with each encounter.

Become a Southern Saints member today for just $40.

The 2018 VFLW season kicks off this weekend as the Southern Saints host Carlton this Saturday.

Carlton comes into the match as heavy favourites, having worked closely with the club’s AFLW side all pre-season, but the Saints’ demolition of Williamstown has heads turning towards their eagerly anticipated season opener.

Witness history at Frankston Oval this Saturday 5 May at 11:15am as the Southern Saints’ play their first league match.

Go Saints

Does anyone know whats happening with this team once we have a AFLW lisence? I would very much be pushing to have all these women plus the entry draft picks have the option to sign on. With a cohesive team like this it would have a much stronger chance of being competitive against lists that have 3+ years of development already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back