Handscomb
S Marsh
M Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Sayers

What will we have for our next test in Zim/UAE/wherever the * it is? Starc back in for Sayers is obvious, but the rest looks very iffy. Mitch Marsh an unlikely starter due to ankle surgery. and none of the others in the top 6 set the world on fire in South Africa. Will we try and find a replacement all rounder? Stick with 6 batsmen?

Let’s look towards the future, my test team 12 months down the track

Renshaw
Weatherald
Burns
Smith
Patterson
Doran
Wildermurth
Pattinson (I’m an optimist)
Cummins (c)
Starc/Hazlewood
Lyon
12th Head

Burns - 28 - 14 tests (av 36 . 3 100s 4 50s) v SA av 23 - 0 100s 0 50s
Hanscomb - 26 - 13 tests (av 43 - 2 100s 4 50s) v SA av 12 - 0 100s 0 50s
Khawaja - 31 - 33 tests (av 42 - 6 100s 12 50s) v SA av 22 - 0 100s 2 50s
S Marsh - 34 - 32 tests (av 37 - 6 100s 9 50s) v SA av 18 - 0 100s 0 50s
Renshaw - 22 - 11 tests (av 33 - 1 100 3 50s) v SA av 6.5 - 0 100s 0 50s
Mitch Marsh 26 - 28 tets ( av 27 2 100s 3 50s) v SA av 22 - 0 100s 1 50s

I'd rather just forget Shuan Marsh, we're rebuilding the batting he's had an abominable tour of SA along with everyone else. Rather blood another batsmen even if it's more short term pain.

The question is leadership do we bring say a George Bailey or do we go with Paine? None of the batsmen have a string claim to automatic selection, mostly inexperienced, Khawaja can't see it, S Marsh? cannot see it, batsmen struggling for runs, team well some sort of crisis there is a need for strong leadership and perhaps preferably from outside the current team bubble, any other candidates other than Bailey or Paine?

facing India at home next summer really hard to see this batting lineup doing well. and I think maybe Pakistan in the UAE before that and maybe Bangidesh in northern Austria. I'd bring in Maxwell.

Burns, Hanscomb, Khawaja, Maxwell, Renshaw, Mitch Marsh, Paine, Starc, Cummins, Agar, Lyon.
(for UAE and top end)

backups Bailey, Doran, Labuschagne, Hazelwood, Sayers, Swepson

My priorities would be building a new batting lineup of the future and strong positive leadership. Tough for Paine, but the might just be the man. I would not be overly focused on results. Rebuilding a team culture, spirit and a team for the future.

I don't see them play Zim or the Bangers, so we probably have eight months to sort out the team. I don't see any major changes or guys like Doran, Wildermuth or Turner to leap into contention. So they will probably start the summer the same as we ended.

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Handscomb
SMarsh
MMarsh

Other options include Maxwell, Head, Ferguson and Cartwright depending on form. Not exactly inspiring.

1. Renshaw
2. Burns
3. Khawaja
4. Maxwell / Handscomb (if Mitch ain't healthy)
5. Smarsh
6. Mitch (If Healthy) / Maxwell
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc (if Healthy) / Lyon (if Starc not healthy)
10. Lyon (if Starc healthy) / Sayers (if Starc not healthy)
11. Hazlewood

If the next tour is in the UAE and the selectors are picking based on conditions which they profess to with the non selection of Khawaja and Maxwell in varying conditions, I don't see how either Marsh can justifiably be selected.

Since the India tour S. Marsh has been highly susceptible to spin. Struggled against Maharaj and was even being dismissed by Moeen at times. It's either him or Khawaja for one spot. M Marsh is not bowling in seaming conditions so that won't change over there so should go an extra bat. Handscomb is probably our best player of spin so should get the nod.

Based on that should/could be:

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja/S. Marsh
Handscomb
Head
Maxwell
Paine
Cummins
Agar/Holland
Lyon
Hazlewood

As per the other thread I'm leaning to in: Ferguson, Maxwell. out: Khawaja, Handscomb.

Main four bowlers stay the same.

I'd be very tempted to give a yougnster like Patterson a chance at taking Khawaja's spot but I think in the current situation the experience of Ferguson will help.

The general blue print of backup players I'd be looking at is:
Khawaja first in line if Ferguson or S Marsh are struggling. Patterson and Head not too far behind. Handscomb needs a season out of the spotlight in the shield cricket to smash runs and get his confidence back.
Head first in line if Maxwell or M Marsh are struggling.
We don't really have any depth in the opening roles. Burns and Renshaw were our depth. I guess Daniel Hughes is probably the most likely if an opening spot comes up.

Ranking our batsmen is a very fluid affair at the moment and will be for some time.

The fast bowling back ups are probably well suited to a like for like replacement rather than who is #4, #5, #6 etc as there is little difference in quality between our #4 fast bowler and our #10 fast bowler (whomever you consider those to be)

Cummins > Pattinson (if ever fit!!), Coulter-Nile (if fit), Tremain, J Richardson
Hazlewood > Sayers, Bird, Behrendorff, Mackin, Siddle
Starc > Behrendorff (if fit), Tremain, J Richardson

Dorff doesn't really bowl lik Starc but by virtue of being a left armer he probably fits into the attack alongside Cummins and Hazlewood pretty well if that situation arose. Whether he's ever going to be fit enough is a different story.

Not sure why Tremain didn't get a touring spot ahead of Richardson. I rate the latter as a talent but still a little down the pecking order I would have thought.

Sayers and Bird are a bit unlucky as any test attack featuring any two of Haze/Sayers/Bird is going to feel pretty flat. IMO they need an injury to Hazlewood (who hasn't had too many) to get crack and I thought the selectors erred in the 4th test not picking Richardson for this reason, although obviously not much would have changed in that match.

Sayers definitely deserves another few tests at some point just through sheer weight of wickets and performance in shield cricket. Having your only crack at test cricket in the most demoralised test line-up we've just about ever assembled doesn't really feel fair.

If Pattinson ever gets fit he's in our top three quick bowlers but that situation is probably at least 12 months away from being a reality (if it ever is). That would probably relegate Starc to #4, although the way Hazlewood has bowled the last 12 months is a little concerning but I'm confident he will bounce back.

Reckon 'The Big Head' sorry I mean 'The Big Show' is a chance.
Would like to see Pattinson partner Cummins.
Would like to see Bailey capt, [I am a big Paine ]
Would like to see Marsh brothers give us some sort of consistency , FIFO.
Would like to see a young leg spinner in. Batsmen the world over struggle with leg spin. [ probably more Poms, Kiwis and Scum sledging mates from SA.]
Would like to see Kholi done for ball tampering.

I just sit there slashing my wrists watching Khawaja play

I'm not a fan either, but guarantee the same people putting some arbitrary age cut-off and calling for youth will be the same ones sooking it up that shield form is not rewarded anymore when you see drastically varying performances.

Cricket's not a sport (especially for batsmen & spinners) where you can discriminate based on age. We've seen many instances in recent years of guys hitting peak performance in their mid 30's - mastery is the product of a lot of experience.

I'm not a fan either, but guarantee the same people putting some arbitrary age cut-off and calling for youth will be the same ones sooking it up that shield form is not rewarded anymore when you see drastically varying performances.

Cricket's not a sport (especially for batsmen & spinners) where you can discriminate based on age. We've seen many instances in recent years of guys hitting peak performance in their mid 30's - mastery is the product of a lot of experience.
Only need to look at guys like Lehmann, Hussey and Rogers to see that some players can make their mark later in life. There's no real reason someone like Callum Ferguson couldn't put together a couple of good years yet. In fact, given the dire state our team may be in for the next 12 months, I think we need at least one or two older heads in the team. If SMarsh continues to fail, I would be looking to replace him with a Ferguson type, not a Doran or Heazlett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only need to look at guys like Lehmann, Hussey and Rogers to see that some players can make their mark later in life. There's no real reason someone like Callum Ferguson couldn't put together a couple of good years yet. In fact, given the dire state our team may be in for the next 12 months, I think we need at least one or two older heads in the team. If SMarsh continues to fail, I would be looking to replace him with a Ferguson type, not a Doran or Heazlett.

Don't rate Ferguson particularly highly, but yeah with a number of batsmen who in their younger days were written off as being too variable in their performance there's a pretty convincing link between consistency and experience as they blossomed with age.

To be honest I'd back Marsh through this patch, as posted previously he got himself in on nearly every occasion in SA but let it slip with a drop in concentration at the critical point of his innings. I don't think there are any other bowling attacks in the world able to sustain that sort of pressure (and in favourable conditions) for that length of time so would expect him to go back to the good form he has shown in his last couple of stints in the test side.

This is sorta where my reasoning is at the moment. I think Handscomb needs time off the international scene to rebuild his confidence, and as much as I want Khawaja to succeed his overseas average of 25 is a total liability.

For mine the more correct and technically minded Ferguson would be a decent replacement, and the more mercurial and talented Maxwell likewise. Both have a decent amount of international experience, particularly Maxwell, whilst Ferguson has over 13 years of FC experience under his belt.

And the first in line backups for me would the younger Patterson and Head. But they still fit the same mould. Patterson fits the more technically correct and patient mould and would be back up to Ferguson and S Marsh, whilst Head is the more talented but mercurial one and would serve as backup to Maxwell and M Marsh.

I also wouldn't write off Khawaja just yet for his summer. His home record and a real desire not to lose to India means he will definitely stay in the frame till at least the end of the summer. In the selectors minds he might still be the "rock" at #3 - particularly with the suspensions that have been given - although their patience must be wearing thin on his overseas failures.

I'm certain Handscomb can be a successful test cricketer, but I don't think it can happen at the moment. His confidence must be completely shot.

I also wouldn't write off Khawaja just yet for his summer. His home record and a real desire not to lose to India means he will definitely stay in the frame till at least the end of the summer. In the selectors minds he might still be the "rock" at #3 - particularly with the suspensions that have been given - although their patience must be wearing thin on his overseas failures.

He's the most experienced batsman in the side now, so I think they'll keep him regardless of form for a bit.

Matthew Wade, at six. Batting all-rounder, doesn't keep.

Matthew Wade, at six. Batting all-rounder, doesn't keep.
As well as being captain.

Honestly wouldn't mind seeing this:

Burns
Renshaw
Khawaja (Pretty sure we have a top end series?)
Marsh
Wade (c for the melts)
Marsh
Paine (+)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

If the next one is in Pakistan slide Khawaja out and slide Maxwell in.

M.Renshaw
J.Burns
H.Cartright
C.Ferguson
P.Handscomb
K.Patterson
T.Paine +
P.Cummins
M.Starc
N.Lyon
J.Hazelwood

These are guys who I think have the game to make it at test level, and will be good for the situation we are in at present.

M.Marsh can come in for someone if he's fit enough to bowl 10 overs per innings.

Picking Ferguson when we've got Shun Marsh available is downright dumb.

Possibly. Both pretty much the same to me.

I'm a Ferguson fan and I think he got shafted the one test he played. I also think he's more consistent than Marsh, while Marsh is more brilliant when he's on.

M. Renshaw
J. Burns
U. Khawaja
S. Marsh
G. Maxwell
M. Marsh
T. Paine +
P. Cummins
M. Starc
N. Lyon
J. Hazelwood

Remove this Banner Ad