Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

This Sunday will see Brisbane Lions, coming off a 93 point thrashing, hosting Gold Coast Suns, who copped a 80 point drubbing.

Has there been a previous instance of two teams meeting the week after both losing by 80 points or more?

The uniqueness of North's 150-point smashing at the hands of the Lions yet finishing top in 1983 will take some matching.

And Essendon just 14 months after their 160 point hiding at the hands of the Hawks on 1/8/92 were holding up the Cup!!

Goes to show that any side can just have an off day, when no one turns up to play.....It's copping those hidings consistently where it's more difficult to recover club confidence, that says more about your club's culture.

Mind you....The Roys in 1983 were a most impressive side offensively, & almost dragged back a 52 point half time deficit against us, out at the Junction oval in round 1, to get the chockies that day.....and would have, were it not for a 60 meter torp Friar Tuck special from out of the middle.

In 1992 we were a side on the decline, even though we played finals....But occasionally we'd still put one together that mimicked the 80's....Dunstall, Langford & Platten were also still at their peaks then....I was there at the Gee that day, As I was also for the Salmon/Gablett doble-figure goal tally special; & the Bombers remarkable turn-around against the Crows at half time in the 1993 Preliminary Final....Strange year 1993, with only 20 H&A games played.

Carlton and St Kilda (assuming no late changes) will both have numbers 1-9 running around. For Carlton it’s the first time since 2007, for the Saints it’s the second time since 2003.

Is this similar for other teams?

What is the highest consecutive numbers 1 thru x that have played together in one game?

By no means claiming this as a definitive answer but Geelong's last roster game of 1953
apparently featured players wearing 1 to 12
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1953/091119530829.html

What's the record for the number of consecutive matches a player has kicked exactly one goal from their debut?

Gowers has played five AFL games and in each of those games he has kicked exactly one goal.

Probably an easier question than GrahamClayton ’s (which I’m actually quite interested in myself)
But, does someone have access to a list of every Thursday game ever?

Dumb question, but hopefully not too dumb.

Is there an app that will provide quarter by quarter breakdowns of stats? Even a website would be great.

Thanks in advance.

If Melbourne win over the Tigers on Tuesday night, and Essendon/Collingwood on Anzac Day doesn't result in a draw, there will be 11 teams with a 3-2 win/loss record. Has this ever happened before?

North Melbourne played the entire final quarter of their Round 9 game against Essendon in 1976 with just 17 players. Is this the last time that a team played a portion of a VFL/AFL match with 17 players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Melbourne win over the Tigers on Tuesday night, and Essendon/Collingwood on Anzac Day doesn't result in a draw, there will be 11 teams with a 3-2 win/loss record. Has this ever happened before?
In 1997 there were 8 teams (sitting 2nd to 9th) who had a 3-2 win/loss record (after 5 rounds). That should be the most ever, with the record almost certain to be broken over the next couple of days.

Trivia Question: What record does Liam Shiels have and will always have?
Last ever player who could have debuted as a 17yo (but didn't).

Liam Shiels debuted R10, 2009 aged 18y 33d, and would have debuted as a 17yo if he played before R6.

Jack Watts debuted R11, 2009 aged 18y 75d, and would have debuted aged 18y 3d if he played in R1.

Brad Ebert is the last actual 17yo to debut (just), in R2, 2008 aged 17y 362d.

The current players to debut aged 17, in order, are Ebert, Deledio, Goddard, Ablett and Hodge.

The most recently retired players to debut aged 17, in order, were Stanton, Walker, Fletcher, Maguire, Guerra, Embley, Kerr.

Boomer Harvey debuted R22, 1996 aged 18y 112d. If he debuted before R8, his retirement would have slotted in between Stanton and Walker.

How many players have missed 2+ years of football and come back to play their 100th game? Andy Otten will join that list next weekend.

This may not be the appropriate thread for this but is there a way of seeing a form ladder presented as just the last X games results?

Carlton and St Kilda (assuming no late changes) will both have numbers 1-9 running around. For Carlton it’s the first time since 2007, for the Saints it’s the second time since 2003.

Is this similar for other teams?

What is the highest consecutive numbers 1 thru x that have played together in one game?
I had never really thought of this being so rare...
Richmond moved Butler and Castagna into 7 and 11 this year. I think 1-12 all played v Brisbane and if they all stay fit they could play quite a few games together this year.

Meanwhile in America no one will ever where a single digit number for the Yankees ever again...

Odd one but overall what's this years scoring accuracy as a percentage (including out on the full goal attempts) compared to previous years? I feel like it's been atrocious this year across all games.

Morning all.

A couple of questions regarding tomorrow's Richmond-Collingwood clash. I'm sure one of you gurus with your tables can work this out.

Is Collingwood's (and Essendon's) 4-day break before Sunday's game the shortest on record (or at least in the AFL era)? I can remember a couple of 5-day breaks for Richmond, and a brief check of Collingwood's Anzac day history does show some 4-day breaks, but only leading up to Anzac day - so Essendon probably had the same break. I guess Anzac day would be the best chance of a 4-day break, given that we have been playing on that day for 50-60 years.

This week, both Richmond and Melbourne get an extra day's break over their opponents. and 5- versus 4- seems a fair advantage (much more than 7- versus 6-day).

And does anyone have any generic stats re teams results with 6-day break vs opponents with a 7-day break, or any other combinations? Is a shorter break really a significant disadvantage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back