Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Should have a Peterson thread. But this could have multiple trucks driven through it simultaneously.

You're reading those as suggested principles, not a summary of the current ones yeh?

They seem pretty good to me, by and large. Need clarification on a few of those though, particularly the heterosexual couples one.

Edit: just saw the link has a 2 hour lecture associated with them. Will definitely watch soon.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Yep. Multiple trucks.
Couldn't help myself. Starting flicking through the lecture while I am supposed to be studying. Peterson says what I assumed he would - he isn't advocating conservative politics as the 'right way' to do things at all. He believes that both conservative and progressive representation is critical in the political spheres, as people's political views are determined in large part by their temperament and we want our political spectrum to cover everyone. His discussions here are about resetting the conservative guiding principles because they have traditionally been too restrictive and prohibitive. The context is important.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Couldn't help myself. Starting flicking through the lecture while I am supposed to be studying. Peterson says what I assumed he would - he isn't advocating conservative politics as the 'right way' to do things at all. He believes that both conservative and progressive representation is critical in the political spheres, as people's political views are determined in large part by their temperament and we want our political spectrum to cover everyone.

This strikes me as hollow. He wants to wipe some stuff from universities (can we assume society aswell?) entirely. He wants to play statesman and provocateur at the same time.

And how do any of his points differ from traditional conservatism?

11sjw

Cancelled
10k Posts Armchair Endzone Participant
May 13, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Meh
He's not a conservative?
ShanDog has given a great summary of what he represents.

Couldn't help myself. Starting flicking through the lecture while I am supposed to be studying. Peterson says what I assumed he would - he isn't advocating conservative politics as the 'right way' to do things at all. He believes that both conservative and progressive representation is critical in the political spheres, as people's political views are determined in large part by their temperament and we want our political spectrum to cover everyone. His discussions here are about resetting the conservative guiding principles because they have traditionally been too restrictive and prohibitive. The context is important.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
This strikes me as hollow. He wants to wipe some stuff from universities (can we assume society aswell?) entirely. He wants to play statesman and provocateur at the same time.

And how do any of his points differ from traditional conservatism?
I'd say yes - he wants to be rid of certain elements of the universities and never wants to see far right or far left ideology driving anything in society. Just like most people I guess.

If you listen to the lecture he discusses what he thinks has been the folly of traditional conservative messaging - all restriction and not engaging or uplifting enough (my interpretation).

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
JBP is an amazing intellectual of our time. Love his work, society would be so much better off if more people listened to him.
Would be even better if people didn't just listen to him, but actually took his ideas on board and truly wrestled with them. All of them, not just the ones that reaffirm their own ideological bent.

Not @ you, btw. Just in general.

The Delusionist

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd say yes - he wants to be rid of certain elements of the universities and never wants to see far right or far left ideology driving anything in society. Just like most people I guess.

If you listen to the lecture he discusses what he thinks has been the folly of traditional conservative messaging - all restriction and not engaging or uplifting enough (my interpretation).
Unfortunately he is most known for the channel 4 interview. And it's been picked up and run as "Man destroys SJW", "How to destroy a feminist" and other provocative titles.
So now, the unthinking sides have pigeonholed him, without actually listening to much of what he actually has to say.
He is the enemy of one side, and the saviour of the other.

Some people will reference him and talk about him, just because they think it will 'trigger' sjw's, while ignoring anything he actually has to say. The other side thinks he is just the latest nazi/racist/trumpian of the month and will ignore anything he actually has to say.
Which from what I've seen, he tends to be arguing against.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bear in mind, calling one of you racist apparently takes away your speech, bullies you and causes some cartoonists to literally drop dead.

Would you like me to pontificate on how you treat women or children?
I have very serious concerns about how you would treat other cultures, women and children. You have a blind spot the size of a planet.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There are very few groups in society who reject this principle.

It's not a conservative thing.

Utter BS. Look at the squealing minions demanding free things whilst contributing nothing.

Crap thread, you haven't even come up with one valid criticism of his list.

Trucks? You haven't even produced an electric scooter.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
https://theintercept.com/2018/04/24...added-a-bizarre-story-liberal-outlets-ignore/

Glenn here highlights the hypocrisy we too often see from progressives in both mainstream media and in real life - they don't even really necessarily believe in the things they say they believe. The important thing is merely to use the things they say they believe to obliterate a target. It is a kind of sadism - a primal pleasure to inflict pain and humiliation.

Jordan Peterson is not in the least bit controversial - he is merely a champion of the very best principles underpinning our culture. He has become controversial merely because the talentless sadistic wing of our progressive culture is horrified that he is shining a floodlight on the most fraudulent and inane progressive agendas.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
JBP makes me think of a charismatic Trump, one who thinks through every argument and ensures that they are bullet proof before launching them. Trump is the entertainer, Peterson is the intellectual. Both serve the same movement, but one can can have holes pointed out through their arguments... The other is invincible.

Back