Discussion Jumpers & Logos for Regional WAFL SANFL & NEAFL Teams (Hypothetical)

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
I'll begin this thread by stating that expansion into regional cities by the WAFL, SANFL and NEAFL is extremely unlikely given the VFL's poor results from country expansion (Traralgon, Murray Kangaroos, Bendigo and North Ballarat have all left the league with only the Roosters achieving any success), and the largely negative response to Peel Thunder's 1997 entry into the WAFL.

However, as a hypothetical if these leagues did start expansion teams in the larger regional centers in these states, what emblems would these teams adopt, and what would their colors and jumper designs be like? Obviously it would need to be something that sounded good and was appropriate to the team's location. For example, you wouldn't call a Kalgoorlie team from the WA Goldfields the Dolphins or the Seagulls, as it is inland. Bunbury Bears sounds good, or Bunbury Panthers would be appropriate given the stories of Alien Big Cats lurking in the South West Forests. And in South Australia an emblem for the Sharks would be good for Port Lincoln as it is on the coast, or the Lions as it alliterates nicely and there are no Lions in the SANFL.

Listed below are the regional cities large enough for expansion teams along with a description of the existing teams in these leagues so that colors or emblems aren't repeated. It would be interesting to hear some of your ideas.

WAFL
Bunbury
Albany
Geraldton
Kalgoorlie
Existing Teams - Claremont Tigers (Navy & Gold), Subiaco Lions (Maroon & Gold), Perth Demons (Black & Red), West Perth Falcons (Red & Blue), East Perth Royals (Blue & Black), East Fremantle Sharks (Blue & White), South Fremantle Bulldogs (Red & White), Swan Districts Swans (Black & White), Peel Thunder (Teal, Navy & White)

SANFL
Murray Bridge
Port Lincoln
Whyalla
Mt. Gambier
Existing Teams - Adelaide Crows (White, Navy, Red & Gold), North Adelaide Roosters (Red & White), South Adelaide Panthers (Navy & White), West Adelaide Bloods (Black & Red), Port Adelaide Magpies (Black & White), Norwood Redlegs (Navy & Red), Central Districts Bulldogs (Blue, Red & White), Sturt Double Blues (Light & Dark Blue), Woodville West Torrens Eagles (Gold, Green & Blue), Glenelg Tigers (Black & Yellow)

NEAFL
Newcastle
Gosford
Wollongong
Wagga Wagga
Toowoomba
Sunshine Coast
Townsville
Cairns
Existing Teams - Sydney Swans (Red & White), UWS Giants (Orange, Charcoal & White), Sydney University (Blue & Gold), Canberra Demons (Blue & Gold), Brisbane Lions (Maroon, Blue & Gold), Gold Coast Suns (Red & White), Southport Sharks (Black & White), Redland Bombers (Black & Red), Aspley Hornets (Brown & Gold), Northern Territory Thunder (Ochre, Black, Red & Yellow)

SilvaComet

All Australian
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'll begin this thread by stating that expansion into regional cities by the WAFL, SANFL and NEAFL is extremely unlikely given the VFL's poor results from country expansion (Traralgon, Murray Kangaroos, Bendigo and North Ballarat have all left the league with only the Roosters achieving any success), and the largely negative response to Peel Thunder's 1997 entry into the WAFL.

However, as a hypothetical if these leagues did start expansion teams in the larger regional centers in these states, what emblems would these teams adopt, and what would their colors and jumper designs be like? Obviously it would need to be something that sounded good and was appropriate to the team's location. For example, you wouldn't call a Kalgoorlie team from the WA Goldfields the Dolphins or the Seagulls, as it is inland. Bunbury Bears sounds good, or Bunbury Panthers would be appropriate given the stories of Alien Big Cats lurking in the South West Forests. And in South Australia an emblem for the Sharks would be good for Port Lincoln as it is on the coast, or the Lions as it alliterates nicely and there are no Lions in the SANFL.

Listed below are the regional cities large enough for expansion teams along with a description of the existing teams in these leagues so that colors or emblems aren't repeated. It would be interesting to hear some of your ideas.

WAFL
Bunbury
Albany
Geraldton
Kalgoorlie
Existing Teams - Claremont Tigers (Navy & Gold), Subiaco Lions (Maroon & Gold), Perth Demons (Black & Red), West Perth Falcons (Red & Blue), East Perth Royals (Blue & Black), East Fremantle Sharks (Blue & White), South Fremantle Bulldogs (Red & White), Swan Districts Swans (Black & White), Peel Thunder (Teal, Navy & White)

SANFL
Murray Bridge
Port Lincoln
Whyalla
Mt. Gambier
Existing Teams - Adelaide Crows (White, Navy, Red & Gold), North Adelaide Roosters (Red & White), South Adelaide Panthers (Navy & White), West Adelaide Bloods (Black & Red), Port Adelaide Magpies (Black & White), Norwood Redlegs (Navy & Red), Central Districts Bulldogs (Blue, Red & White), Sturt Double Blues (Light & Dark Blue), Woodville West Torrens Eagles (Gold, Green & Blue), Glenelg Tigers (Black & Yellow)

NEAFL
Newcastle
Gosford
Wollongong
Wagga Wagga
Toowoomba
Sunshine Coast
Townsville
Cairns
Existing Teams - Sydney Swans (Red & White), UWS Giants (Orange, Charcoal & White), Sydney University (Blue & Gold), Canberra Demons (Blue & Gold), Brisbane Lions (Maroon, Blue & Gold), Gold Coast Suns (Red & White), Southport Sharks (Black & White), Redland Bombers (Black & Red), Aspley Hornets (Brown & Gold), Northern Territory Thunder (Ochre, Black, Red & Yellow)

Ipswich would get a NEAFL team over Toowoomba any day of the week, bigger population, bigger sporting culture, and overall we're better than those inland bogans.

_Damo_

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
TTG is nowhere near close to regional lol
Your absolutely right lol. Fizzler The argument for a team TTG (Adelaides North East) is two gold, a. The sheer number of draftees the region has produced (both menzals, shoenmeakers, Graham to name a few) and b. The fact that culturally and demographically it's pretty far removed from the "local" SANFL club in Norwood.
The argument against is that Norwood would lose one of its largest breeding grounds and that it's too small on it's own to produce enough talent.

It's definitely not regional though, its very suburban but right on the hills face zone.

Grandsun

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
and now the only regional VFL team is Geelong all the rest in melbourne based with the majority afl affiliate

_Damo_

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm honestly surprised Mount Barker haven't tried to move up in the world, or Mount Gambier or the Iron Triangle.
My Barker was home to Sturt for a while. Considering their financial issues a few years ago, making themselves "the hills team" might have been a good idea, but then they won a flag and apparently every things better.

A Riverland team would be great, redevelop Berri Oval right on the river in a region with close to 30k and two footy leagues...winner!

I like that idea, but include Renmark and Mildura into the mix.
Maybe call them Murray River Pirates??

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
River Murray River Rats
I think they should build ties with Arsenal and call themselves the River Murray Gooners

image.ashx

It would be useful to use the river's proper name, it's the River Murray, not the murray river.

Is that a South Australian thing, as I'm sure it's the way I posted now.

See Murray Darling, not being called River Murray Darling rivers.

Also River Pirates were a thing back in the day, the pirates were on the rivers and the shoreline who pirated the rivers etc. Hence the Murray RIVER PIRATES.

Grandsun

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
i made up mockups if West Coast and Fremantle entered standalone reserve teams in the WAFL. I will find them when I get home from school. I think I also made St Kilda VFL Reserves Team aswell.

Back