Diet and nutrition

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've kind of reached a challenging point with my change of diet. Having gone from 500+/220+g of carbs/protein, to averaging about 100-150g of both, it appears I've hit a dead end.

Trimming down has either stopped or slowed significantly. But there's not really the option of eating less. There are times where I've looked at my dairy and seen that for the 24hour period that's about to end, I still haven't ate even 100g of either carb/protein, but I'm not really hungry.

At the same time, I kind of get a little agitated, at which point I'd normally eat something. But I've now learnt that eating because of that isn't going to help in the long run. So yeah, I'm in a state of "Idk what to do?" atm.
Not sure of your situation but it does get like that.

Don't know if your lifter in that your cutting, in which you may want to start bulking again.

Relative, but you can't eat a lot less than 1500 cals, you could push cardio if you are adamant for more fat loss.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
What are you trying to achieve?
Ideally, I'd trim down completely through eating. I get that may not necessarily be possible. I'd like to avoid doing cardio, not because I'm looking to cut corners, but because I'd want to be certain more fat loss can't be done through eating. If I do cardio for a while then I stop, then it's probable that unavoidable fat gain will occur. If you lose fat through disciplined eating, then it's easier to control if you have days where you break from that.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Ideally, I'd trim down completely through eating. I get that may not necessarily be possible. I'd like to avoid doing cardio, not because I'm looking to cut corners, but because I'd want to be certain more fat loss can't be done through eating. If I do cardio for a while then I stop, then it's probable that unavoidable fat gain will occur. If you lose fat through disciplined eating, then it's easier to control if you have days where you break from that.

What’s your current height and weight?

How long have you been dieting for?

Yes you are right the easiet calories to burn are the ones you don’t eat. But doing cardio will create a larger calorie deficit whilst eating the same amount of calories.

Cardio or lack there of can’t be blamed for weight gain, that comes down again to eating.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
When you really drop into a fair deficit and have been for a while, then cardio can be very handy to drop the final body fat.

Still not sure if you are looking for muscle gain but then when you go back into a bulk you won't just pile pounds of fat back on.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I'm' not going to give my details on BF, so that anonymous people can judge me!

But reading your post, I get that maybe I'm still not satisfied I'm not complete control of my eating long term to make the most of the cardio.

I’m trying to help you not judge you

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Probably the least judgemental place on BF this board.
Yep, none of the usual shitfights over club, politics, religion or where you live. The closest it gets to heated here is nutrition debates. And even those have calmed down markedly since everyone's got their own thread for how they want to eat.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Some terrific posters with great information on this board, do a lot of looking but not much posting these days. Have done some online searching re this subject but would be very interested in solutions I may have missed via opinions on here.

What would you consider the best way to raise testosterone levels without medication? Diet and lifestyle tips as well as potential supplements would be appreciated.

Note- I am a 58 year old male who eats a moderate LCHF diet and exercises regularly and I am not overweight.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Some terrific posters with great information on this board, do a lot of looking but not much posting these days. Have done some online searching re this subject but would be very interested in solutions I may have missed via opinions on here.

What would you consider the best way to raise testosterone levels without medication? Diet and lifestyle tips as well as potential supplements would be appreciated.

Note- I am a 58 year old male who eats a moderate LCHF diet and exercises regularly and I am not overweight.
Also look at foods that can lower testosterone. I hope for your sake that ice cream isn't one. ;)

Strength training the 'big' muscles (i.e. your basic compound lifts) has been shown to promote some natural HGH production - as well as other benefits such as better bone density, weight loss, etc.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Strength training the 'big' muscles (i.e. your basic compound lifts) has been shown to promote some natural HGH production - as well as other benefits such as better bone density, weight loss, etc.
Thanks Mofra, I've never been one for weights, I do 3-4 mornings a week 6-8km run + 2-3 late afternoons a week I'll do body weight stuff eg various style push ups/squats etc. and 1 game of competitive futsal per week. I may have to give weights another go.

Postie also just delivered my first batch of D Aspartic Acid from Bulk Nutrients, I'll see how that goes.

Thanks Mofra, I've never been one for weights, I do 3-4 mornings a week 6-8km run + 2-3 late afternoons a week I'll do body weight stuff eg various style push ups/squats etc. and 1 game of competitive futsal per week. I may have to give weights another go.

Postie also just delivered my first batch of D Aspartic Acid from Bulk Nutrients, I'll see how that goes.
Simply being active gives you a jump on ~80% of the population

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
My diet has gone out the window a bit lately. I am still eating relatively low carb(50-100g per day), but I'm finding I'm tending to snack a lot more and on food which could be considered junk (ice cream, popcorn mostly). I don't know if it is because I'm getting fitter so I'm expending more energy at the gym and my body is craving more. I'm probably at around 2,000 calories a day atm.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
My diet has gone out the window a bit lately. I am still eating relatively low carb(50-100g per day), but I'm finding I'm tending to snack a lot more and on food which could be considered junk (ice cream, popcorn mostly). I don't know if it is because I'm getting fitter so I'm expending more energy at the gym and my body is craving more. I'm probably at around 2,000 calories a day atm.

Could be a little of that, but ultimately you still control and are responsible for what you eat.

Back