Next Generation academy

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-splashes-in-shallow-pool-20180430-p4zcj4.html

Reading The Age today and Adelaide have the rights to sign James Borlase (son of Port Adelaide premiership player Daryl) as a next generation academy player as he was born in Egypt when Daryl was working over there with the AWB

Made the u/15s All Australian side last year

Surely this is not how the next gen Academy is supposed to work and Port would be rightly filthy if we get to draft him

-- also mentions how St Kilda have rights to Mifsud's son, and Collingwood have rights to a kid currently captaining Melbourne Grammar

Thought the idea was to get kids from non-Aussie Rules backgrounds into the sport

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-splashes-in-shallow-pool-20180430-p4zcj4.html

Reading The Age today and Adelaide have the rights to sign James Borlase (son of Port Adelaide premiership player Daryl) as a next generation academy player as he was born in Egypt when Daryl was working over there with the AWB

Made the u/15s All Australian side last year

Surely this is not how the next gen Academy is supposed to work and Port would be rightly filthy if we get to draft him

-- also mentions how St Kilda have rights to Mifsud's son, and Collingwood have rights to a kid currently captaining Melbourne Grammar

Thought the idea was to get kids from non-Aussie Rules backgrounds into the sport
Geez, port would be unbelievably filthy on that ruling... absolutely and utterly filthy... and rightly so..

Sucked in to em.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
Geez, port would be unbelievably filthy on that ruling... absolutely and utterly filthy... and rightly so..

Sucked in to em.
His father has qualified as F/S for Port though. All the academy stuff is blowing my head. The draft is meaningless now, too many ways around it. We should pay Lukosius to stand out for a couple of years and play basketball to get him.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Port would be livid though, up to 1997 entry into the AFL games count towards the 200 needed and his dad didn’t get there before the cutoff point (similar to Gibbs).
I'd play it sympathetically but unfortunately, my violin is being restrung at the moment.

Someone should let the Roach Pox know ... he needs stories, I hear.

and no, I don't know how to play the violin.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Port would be livid though, up to 1997 entry into the AFL games count towards the 200 needed and his dad didn’t get there before the cutoff point (similar to Gibbs).
His father has qualified as F/S for Port though. All the academy stuff is blowing my head. The draft is meaningless now, too many ways around it. We should pay Lukosius to stand out for a couple of years and play basketball to get him.
OK, now I'm confused. Is he, or isn't he, eligible for Port under the F/S rule?

The F/S rule and Academy rules are not mutually exclusive. He could be eligible for selection by both clubs, in which case it would be his choice.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
OK, now I'm confused. Is he, or isn't he, eligible for Port under the F/S rule?

The F/S rule and Academy rules are not mutually exclusive. He could be eligible for selection by both clubs, in which case it would be his choice.
That’s what we are trying to work out. The article didn’t make it clear, was strange how they mentioned the cutoff period and eligibility as if he wasn’t eligible.

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
Port played 47 games in 1997 and 1998. He played 246 total..

And wonder how many pre-season/state games were counted in the 80s/early 90s?

That's been a problem in the past :p

The irony of a Port prospect ending up with the Crows because of the Port Board's internet detective work would be hilarious.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
The law of unintended consequences.

The AFL think they’re doing the right thing creating these special rules and then clubs (inc. ours) find a loophole and drive a truck through it.

That’s why organisations should think twice before creating additional regulation.
Article says they are aware of it but view it as an acceptable outlier for the benefits.

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
For what it's worth us being able to get our paws on Borlase would be as insane as Sydney being allowed to get their paws on Blakey's lad.

There's a suggestion as to whether young Borlase makes it into Port's Father/Son solely by virtue of pre-season games being put into the official tally.
Ah. I will then need my annual Footy Times Yearbooks to see how many games he played each season to have a half decent guess as to whether he played 200 premiership points + finals games as required by the AFL. When I did the Gibbs checking in 2005, and saw 31 games were added to a couple of players total in one season, that's when I knew things are screwy. I have them in storage somewhere, so might actually dig them up on the weekend.

Do you know the last year the preseason Foundation Cup games were played? Because the SANFL counted them and I reckon that comp finished up after 1991 but a couple of years before 1997.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
Ah. I will then need my annual Footy Times Yearbooks to see how many games he played each season to have a half decent guess as to whether he played 200 premiership points + finals games as required by the AFL. When I did the Gibbs checking in 2005, and saw 31 games were added to a couple of players total in one season, that's when I knew things are screwy. I have them in storage somewhere, so might actually dig them up on the weekend.

Do you know the last year the preseason Foundation Cup games were played? Because the SANFL counted them and I reckon that comp finished up after 1991 but a couple of years before 1997.

93 seems right, but this video could be all confirmation bias?

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
So realistically, if Borlase played 10 Foundation Cup games, which seems a bare minimum, if he missed < 10 games in 97/98 he wouldn't have played the 200 for Port in the time period.

Ah the AFL, forever screwing the pooch with the Adelaide team's pre AFL years F/S eligibility.

So realistically, if Borlase played 10 Foundation Cup games, which seems a bare minimum, if he missed < 10 games in 97/98 he wouldn't have played the 200 for Port in the time period.

Ah the AFL, forever screwing the pooch with the Adelaide team's pre AFL years F/S eligibility.
My guess is Borlase would have had to have played about 225 games by 31st October 1996 for his son to be eligible under the F-S rules.

Back