Suns Players Nicknames

Remove this Banner Ad

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I thought it would be fun to talk about nicknames everyone has for players. Nicknames have to organic and for all those that stick there are those that don't. IMHO the best footy nickname of all time was given to Nathan Buckley, who arrived at his first day at the Bears to find the name FIGJAM on his locker - he was gone at the end of the season. For those that remember Roy and HG's famous calls of the Festival of the Boot Part 2 - AFL Grand Final, they were so good at nicknames you forgot the player's real name, like Dickhead Brogan, or purposely mispronouncing Colbert in French "Coll-bear". That's what I'm looking for here!

There have been some good ones over the years such as Microphone-head/Spindle Shanks AKA Jarrad Grant, "Spitta" Swallow, Jaeger O'Cockface and the Little Weirdo. Then there's the Aussie way of making long names short and short names long, like Rischa and Maysie, or just adding a 'y' to the end, like Lynchy and Hally, while others have rhyming slang like 2 Metre Peter. Some guys don't need a nickname, like Touk Miller (Touk, Touk, Touk!!!) and others really do, like the newer players and all the Jacks.

Here's a few suggestions to get started:
Sean Lemmens - the Flying Fox, after his totem
Steven May - Kinga, for his croc totem
Lachie Weller - Pick 2 (of course)
Kade Kolojashnij - Kale Coleslaw Sandwich
Connor Nutting - Gumboots (in the bush, you desex a male cat yourself, a process called "nutting", by shoving the front half of the cat into a large gumboot and carrying out the operation with a sharp knife)
Jesse Joyce - Rolls Royce

and here was me thinking you were going that way because he cleans up the mess.

(like we call our cricket skipper kleenex because he cleans up the tail!)
I like that concept.

Rory "Wettex/Chux" Thompson

Could be some endorsements in this...

Maybe we should honour all the Pick #2 LDU Unicorns by dubbing our debutant Charlie "the Unicorn" Ballard?! Shun the non-believers, Shun!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swervin Mervin for Crossley in honour of the great Merv Hughes
I like it, but he's officially been dubbed Gary Goober by family, friends and now the club. In Ballarat there was a whole section of Suns supporters, families of Crossley, Ballard, Scheer, Joyce and Spencer who called their section the "Goober Stand".

I like that concept.

Rory "Wettex/Chux" Thompson

Could be some endorsements in this...
A "Thomp" is a ball of mud and grass rolled together which a bear makes and shoves up his bum to avoid secretions attracting ants during hibernation.
Thomps on, gentlemen, and clench those buttcheeks, cos its going to be a bumpy ride.

I like it, but he's officially been dubbed Gary Goober by family, friends and now the club. In Ballarat there was a whole section of Suns supporters, families of Crossley, Ballard, Scheer, Joyce and Spencer who called their section the "Goober Stand".

In his first game and his first goal he had Sandy Roberts referring to him as Goober , think that is gonna stick.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty sure he's heard it before, but Aaron Hall should probably just start answering to Annie Hall.

All righty then, with 13 new players in the squad it's time to revisit nicknames.

First cab off the rank has to be Jez McLennan, who was barely a Sun for a day when he was given the greatest nickname ever - McLovin. It sounds like a sexy hamburger!

Another nickname that has to be shared is one from the defectors column. Good old Uncle Tom joins O'Cockface, the Little Weirdo and Peaheart Caddy.

After trading away Kolodjashnij, we now have a new player whose name will commonly be misspelled = Jack Hombsch. I wanna call him Lock In D, after the movie Slumdog Millionaire where the answer to the million dollar question is D. Jack Hobbs, so if you Australianise it you end up with the Eddie McGuire version. Lock In D also has a second meaning as Hombsch is a highly rated lock down defender.

Any more suggestions?

All righty then, with 13 new players in the squad it's time to revisit nicknames.

First cab off the rank has to be Jez McLennan, who was barely a Sun for a day when he was given the greatest nickname ever - McLovin. It sounds like a sexy hamburger!

Another nickname that has to be shared is one from the defectors column. Good old Uncle Tom joins O'Cockface, the Little Weirdo and Peaheart Caddy.

After trading away Kolodjashnij, we now have a new player whose name will commonly be misspelled = Jack Hombsch. I wanna call him Lock In D, after the movie Slumdog Millionaire where the answer to the million dollar question is D. Jack Hobbs, so if you Australianise it you end up with the Eddie McGuire version. Lock In D also has a second meaning as Hombsch is a highly rated lock down defender.

Any more suggestions?
A bit late now and most of you blokes have a different nickname for him, but Scrimshaw was known as Tracey when he joined the club - after Ms Grimshaw, it was confusing with 2 Jack's in the house when he lived with Bowesy so it stuck.
Also, in our household Lonergan was always affectionately known as Bucket, shortened from bucket-arse (bit mean, we love Jesse)

A bit late now and most of you blokes have a different nickname for him, but Scrimshaw was known as Tracey when he joined the club - after Ms Grimshaw, it was confusing with 2 Jack's in the house when he lived with Bowesy so it stuck.
Also, in our household Lonergan was always affectionately known as Bucket, shortened from bucket-arse (bit mean, we love Jesse)
Bring back Bucket! I see he's gone to Woodville West Torrens in the SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back