Coaching Staff Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Will present the Jock McHale Medal for 2023 - 4/9

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
This is sensible. All that has happened is that the police have made allegations. They need to demonstrate. The evidence found doesn't necessarily mean that he is a trafficker. A user, perhaps, though I hope not. A trafficker - seems counter-intuitive given what he went through with the saga. Why would someone who is financially stable seek to involve himself in a trade that destroys people. Anyone who has read his autobiography knows that he has always, proudly, been about building people.

On the other side of things, there have been some really dodgy types inferred to also have been involved. How organised can organised crime actually be?

May or may not have anything to do with anything, but I seem to recall shots being fired into Steve Dank's house... don't know that anyone was found after that.
If you're a user with a high public profile, you don't want to be scoring down on the street corner or off a small time dealer on a regular basis. So you find someone a little higher up the chain who you only have to contact once in a blue moon. Then you find yourself being the one with the supply and a few like minded friends get used to coming to you.
I think that accounts for most of it, but perhaps not the huge quantity of MDMA. He pretty much had to be supplying a dealer to bother carrying that sort of quantity. To be fair MDMA shouldn't be illegal anyway, so maybe that's how he thought and was supplying a friend who was selling it.

Bugger the Cats hierarchy; if everyone, including Thomas knew about it and didn't offer to help they should all be held responsible to some degree
bugger all of them; if everyone knew, why the * did we hire the campaigner to be a senior assistant and mentor to an inexperienced coach...

Longjohnmire

Senior List
Dec 31, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Most honest adults have had a dabble in some way or form with ‘illicit drugs’.. When will the media and politicians and general public actually have a mature discussion about drugs?
He’s being demonised for what he’s done and it’s probably fair, but maybe if mainstream society actually told the truth about what is a safe or not safe to try and their expreinces on said ‘drugs’ we wouldn’t have so many people fall into the grips of things like ice.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Most honest adults have had a dabble in some way or form with ‘illicit drugs’.. When will the media and politicians and general public actually have a mature discussion about drugs?
He’s being demonised for what he’s done and it’s probably fair, but maybe if mainstream society actually told the truth about what is a safe or not safe to try and their expreinces on said ‘drugs’ we wouldn’t have so many people fall into the grips of things like ice.
That's crap.

Sorry, trying to give you some figures that might surprise you and having a mare whilst doing so!

According to the National Drug Strategy Household survey in 2013, an estimated 2.9 million people over 14 had dabbled that year and 8 million of the total population had at one point experimented with illicit drug use!

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry, trying to give you some figures that might surprise you and having a mare whilst doing so!

According to the National Drug Strategy Household survey in 2013, an estimated 2.9 million people over 14 had dabbled that year and 8 million of the total population had at one point experimented with illicit drug use!
That leaves about 16 million Australians who haven't then.
https://profile.id.com.au/australia/five-year-age-groups

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
That leaves about 16 million Australians who haven't then.
https://profile.id.com.au/australia/five-year-age-groups
The 2013 study was based on 23,855 respondents. It had 42% of >14yo people.

I'd imagine that sample size provided they have covered the appropriate range of groups would hold fairly true.

While it's not most it's almost one in two people, so if you haven't the next person you'll see on average will have.

It's a large enough amount of people for there to be mature discussion about the different kinds of drugs etc as opposed to all drugs that are illegal are bad.

Alocohol, tobacco and sugar have huge health problems for society.

The problem for me is if things like Marijuana, MDMA and LSD were legal a number of people wouldn't need to source them off more dodgy types of people who would cut those drugs with really bad s**t like ice or push them into trying it.

There is no real right or wrong answer but the war on drugs is failing to deliver a solution the world over, so an open discussion about these things is important.

I'd imagine that sample size provided they have covered the appropriate range of groups would hold fairly true.

While it's not most it's almost one in two people, so if you haven't the next person you'll see on average will have.

It's a large enough amount of people for there to be mature discussion about the different kinds of drugs etc as opposed to all drugs that are illegal are bad.

The problem for me is if things like Marijuana, MDMA and LSD were legal a number of people wouldn't need to source them off more dodgy types of people who would cut those drugs with really bad s**t like ice or push them into trying it.

There is no real right or wrong answer but the war on drugs is failing to deliver a solution the world over, so an open discussion about these things is important.
Cant remember exactly but I am almost certain the addiction/dependence rate is about 2-3%.

Drugs are bad.. if you can't handle them. If you can.. lots of fun haha

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

Almost one in two actually means that the next person, on average, won't have. Also, my objection was with respect to a comment about 'illicit' drugs, rather than the taxable kinds. I do agree that our society probably has more of an issue with alcohol, tobacco and sugar though. (I'd add poker machines as well though I realise it's not a drug, the dopamine effect on the brain is similar to a junkie's).

I probably wouldn't mind some kind of different approach to the way we deal with drug laws in Australia; if we legalise anything, though, I wouldn't like to then see a flow-on effect to medicare for treatment of the health problems that go along with their use. I'd like to see a government register of sorts for users, so the health care costs go to the individual rather than the system, which is already being targeted as something that's increasingly unsustainable.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Cant remember exactly but I am almost certain the addiction/dependence rate is about 2-3%.

Drugs are bad.. if you can't handle them. If you can.. lots of fun haha
Well, I don't remember the 90s my friend. Mental health is real. I have nothing but regret for the scrambled mess I became, and I don't buy into the machismo myth that some people attach to drug use. It's bogus IMO, and misleading.

I probably wouldn't mind some kind of different approach to the way we deal with drug laws in Australia; if we legalise anything, though, I wouldn't like to then see a flow-on effect to medicare for treatment of the health problems that go along with their use. I'd like to see a government register of sorts for users, so the health care costs go to the individual rather than the system, which is already being targeted as something that's increasingly unsustainable.
So the more drugs I use, the better health care I get?

That's a system I can support.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Almost one in two actually means that the next person, on average, won't have. Also, my objection was with respect to a comment about 'illicit' drugs, rather than the taxable kinds. I do agree that our society probably has more of an issue with alcohol, tobacco and sugar though. (I'd add poker machines as well though I realise it's not a drug, the dopamine effect on the brain is similar to a junkie's).

42% is a large enough figure in it's own right so let's not argue a small amount of semantics. Nearly half is close enough to one in two.

Back