Coach John Longmire - Part II

What should we do about the coaching situation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Last edited:
Don't think Horse is a bad coach, but it is looking like he has overstayed his welcome with this era of the Swans. Won't get sacked though, get the feeling he is pretty entrenched in the footy department.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't think Horse is a bad coach, but it is looking like he has overstayed his welcome with this era of the Swans. Won't get sacked though, get the feeling he is pretty entrenched in the footy department.
How has he overstayed his welcome...by being a finals eligible consistent coach? Is it because his game doesn’t match the expertise and expectations of big footy? Is it the fact that our club hasn’t won a grand final in 5 years that concerns you, in consideration that it took us 72 years not only 12 years ago?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought I would do a quick quarter by quarter analysis

Round 1
Q1 Sydney 31, West Coast 26
Q2 Sydney 28, West Coast 7

Q3 Sydney 13, West Coast 34
Q4 Sydney 43, West Coast 19

Round 2
Q1 Sydney 16, Port Adelaide 8
Q2 Sydney 26, Port Adelaide 20

Q3 Sydney 16, Port Adelaide 45
Q4 Sydney 13, Port Adelaide 21

Round 3
Q1 Sydney 22, GWS 17
Q2 Sydney 24, GWS 23
Q3 Sydney 31, GWS 15

Q4 Sydney 26 GWS 32

Round 4
Q1 Sydney 24, Bulldogs 33
Q2 Sydney 15, Bulldogs 16

Q3 Sydney 25, Bulldogs 15
Q4 Sydney 22, Bulldogs 15

Round 5
Q1 Sydney 21, Adelaide 33
Q2 Sydney 21, Adelaide 25

Q3 Sydney 15, Adelaide 8
Q4 Sydney 18, Adelaide 19

Round 6
Q1 Sydney 30, Geelong 15
Q2 Sydney 1, Geelong 28
Q3 Sydney 9, Geelong 19

Q4 Sydney 46, Geelong 7

Round 7
Q1 Sydney 13, North Melbourne 21
Q2 Sydney 15, North Melbourne 14
Q3 Sydney 16, North Melbourne 17
Q4 Sydney 22, North Melbourne 17

So we have only won more than 2 quarters in 2 matches so far in 2018 and of the 28 quarters so far this year we have only kicked more than 25 points a total of 9 times.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3
Q1 Sydney 22, GWS 17
Q2 Sydney 24, GWS 23
Q3 Sydney 31, GWS 15

Q4 Sydney 26 GWS 32

Round 4

Round 5

Q3 Sydney 15, Adelaide 8

Round 6
Q1 Sydney 30, Geelong 15
Q2 Sydney 1, Geelong 28
Q3 Sydney 9, Geelong 19

Q4 Sydney 46, Geelong 7

Round 7

So we have only won more than 2 quarters in 2 matches so far in 2018 and of the 28 quarters so far this year we have only kicked more than 25 points a total of 9 times.
Well to me that shows that we’ve won a tick over 50% of our quarters. The ladder shows the most important stat...wins!

Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3
Q1 Sydney 22, GWS 17
Q2 Sydney 24, GWS 23
Q3 Sydney 31, GWS 15

Q4 Sydney 26 GWS 32

Round 4

Round 5

Q3 Sydney 15, Adelaide 8

Round 6
Q1 Sydney 30, Geelong 15
Q2 Sydney 1, Geelong 28
Q3 Sydney 9, Geelong 19

Q4 Sydney 46, Geelong 7

Round 7

We have only let the opposition win more quarters than us in 1 game.

Yep game plan and coaching is nothing to do with skills, lucky we have the expert here to clear things up

Players should start listening to horse and executing then , but not listening to horse and co is nothing to do with the coaches either

They are only responsible for finals appearances that’s when horse is accountable

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Poor skill errors have been a theme in all our losses. They seem to be getting more comical by the game.
Anyone that blames that on game plan or strategy or coaching is kidding themselves.

It can be game plan and strategy though as we move the ball so slowly and give the opposition so much time to setup their defences that our players are always under pressure when they have the ball, this leads to skill errors.

The slow movement of the ball last night was very frustrating. Way too conservative an approach and played right into Norfs hands. Most glaring when Papley was on the wing and held it up. Our running game just did not get a chance mainly through our own unwillingness. When we did we scored.Go figure.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
One thing I am not going to blame Longmire for is the talent of this group. We have three elites in Rampe, Kennedy and Franklin. The next tier is not as good as we wanted to be and our bottom tier is well and truly bad. Can't see this group achieving much this year.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Horse. You don't deserve this list.

No seriously, you deserve better. You deserve players with better skills at least. But I suppose that's what happens with continuous finals finishes. You have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for picks and will always be shafted by the AFL. The AFL hate you Horse. They hate you because you keep those Chardonnay swilling snobs winning. It's bad enough that Sydney-siders play in sunshine, have nice beaches and kiss women without moustaches (the women I mean). But no matter how the AFL try you just keep on winning. This week they even took to straight out robbery by denying you a review. Your entire side stank and you still almost won. Even some of the Swans fans on BF hate you Horse. I guess you've raised their expectations so high they've forgotten what it's like to finish outside the eight, continuously. Either that or they're simply trolls, or just not very clever. It's hard to tell with some.

So Horse you need to go. Leave us to a 5 or 10 year rebuild with a young inexperienced coach who can lose often enough to have access to early draft picks and concessions. A coach who is so unlikely to ever make finals that the AFL stops trying to cheat us with trading bans, goal reviews, stiff draws and dodgy umpiring and instead takes pity on us, like they did the Dogs or Richmond.

A wise man said "Opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one". I know some a-holes with a few too many opinions. Maybe we could make one of them coach.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

No seriously, you deserve better. You deserve players with better skills at least. But I suppose that's what happens with continuous finals finishes. You have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for picks and will always be shafted by the AFL. The AFL hate you Horse. They hate you because you keep those Chardonnay swilling snobs winning. It's bad enough that Sydney-siders play in sunshine, have nice beaches and kiss women without moustaches (the women I mean). But no matter how the AFL try you just keep on winning. This week they even took to straight out robbery by denying you a review. Your entire side stank and you still almost won. Even some of the Swans fans on BF hate you Horse. I guess you've raised their expectations so high they've forgotten what it's like to finish outside the eight, continuously. Either that or they're simply trolls, or just not very clever. It's hard to tell with some.

So Horse you need to go. Leave us to a 5 or 10 year rebuild with a young inexperienced coach who can lose often enough to have access to early draft picks and concessions. A coach who is so unlikely to ever make finals that the AFL stops trying to cheat us with trading bans, goal reviews, stiff draws and dodgy umpiring and instead takes pity on us, like they did the Dogs or Richmond.

A wise man said "Opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one". I know some a-holes with a few too many opinions. Maybe we could make one of them coach.

You're right, it was Longmire that was let down by the players, not the other way around. I mean everything Longmire does, every tactical decision he ever makes is perfect. It is not his fault the players are all incompetent.

HighReeve

Anything will grow in Wessex
Sep 27, 2003
the north. (/melb)
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brotherhood Without Banners

No seriously, you deserve better. You deserve players with better skills at least. But I suppose that's what happens with continuous finals finishes. You have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for picks

yes.. heeney and mills are bottom of the barrel

you know there is this thing called trade?
there is free agency?

is the only reason we beat Geelong because they haven't been bottom 8 for ages and got to draft the only players with good skill in the draft, which apparently are only in the top 10

you know what, last draft i was pretty annoyed about our lack of depth and going to pick up some teenagers, i'd much rather 23 year old Tim Kelly in our team atm than Matthew Ling, but hey, thats the bottom of the barrel apparently

Heeney 20 metre out misses.
Top pick.
I'm fine with this approach, as long as we're consistent. So if Heeney kicks it and we win, the players get the credit, not Longmire. Longmire takes no blame if we lose, and no credit if we win

We should disband the coaches box completely and reinvest that money elsewhere , could extend the scg perhaps

As coaches have no impact on poor play, good play or tactics

Buddy to captain coach

Poor skill errors have been a theme in all our losses. They seem to be getting more comical by the game.
Anyone that blames that on game plan or strategy or coaching is kidding themselves.

I would say a gameplan centered around slow, methodical, short kicking with a list of players that do not have the skills to execute this consistently is on the coaching staff. Play to their strengths, if that means moving quick with hands or going longer over the top of defenders than so be it. I'm no coach, but the way we play now doesn't suit our talent.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I would say a gameplan centered around slow, methodical, short kicking with a list of players that do not have the skills to execute this consistently is on the coaching staff. Play to their strengths, if that means moving quick with hands or going longer over the top of defenders than so be it. I'm no coach, but the way we play now doesn't suit our talent.

Exactly. Why have players like Florent in the team at all if we are going to play like that, why draft Stoddart if we are going to play like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back