Petition - Remove the score review system

I would like the AFL to remove the score review system

• Yes

Votes: 79 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 90 53.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a fan of score reviews but I think if we get some better guidelines around when to use them and how to quickly review footage to see if it is conclusive or not then we will solve a lot of issues with the system.

That's the logic they used to bring in cane toads.

Fair enough, although I’m constantly reading about zones we should implement and restricted areas definitely not the worst idea out there imo

I reckon we don't even need to go as far. The system was going OKAY, albeit a little jarring at times, when we were simply reviewing only when players made a big deal or it was pretty obvious that it was touched etc. Umpires just need to show more digression in using the review system.

Before rule changes, the next step is removing the video technology all together. It's still relatively new though and its going to take a while to get it to a point that's comfortable.

Umps are using it as a crutch to make certain they get the correct decision. Exactly what the system wasn’t meant to be a reviewing and re umpiring the play. It was meant for goal umpires when they had a reasonable amount of doubt.

Last edited:
Umps are using it as a crutch to make certain they get the correct decision. Exactly what the system wasn’t meant to be a reviewing and re umpiring the decision. It was meant for goal umpires when they had a reasonable amount of doubt.
Yep, just like all the new rules and ideas that get brought in the umpires and AFL indulge in them and there is never any consequence or reprimand for bad decisions or poor interpretation.

They're never held accountable except for some yobbos in the stand yelling profanity and a very tame "The umpire may have made the wrong decision, but umpiring is a hard job and this is a tough sport and we support everyone and hitler did nothing wrong" that AFL HQ publish after a torrid game or a few howlers.

Hear me out for a minute.
How about we scrap goal umpires and score reviews and just have it so if the ball is kicked thru for a goal doesn’t matter if it’s touchhed or hits the post. Eliminates a whole heap of bullshit and whinging and brings it in line with every other sport on the planet. Umps can still wave the flags and feel relevant but would improve the spectacle immensely I believe. Thoughts?

We're not every other sport on the planet! The great thing about Aussie rules is the fact that we invented a game 160 years ago without any British influence, it's totally unique to Australia. What's really happened is technology exposes some flaws that nobody ever gave a fat rats toss bag about previously. The AFL are insanely obsessed about the pace of the game and it's really TV commitments that interfere with revues such as the Hartung goal. The ball was on Tom Mitchell's boot when the siren sounded, i don't have any issue with that one at all. I would rather see Goal Umpires in white coats again though:).

The b

the ball still needs to be kicked obviously just shouldn’t matter if it is slightly deflected off the post or a finger tip. Defenders can still punch/rush the ball thru and teammates can’t tap it thru as that wouldn’t be a kick would it. Not that extreme an idea just common sense really
Not really. Does a fingertip that deflects the ball through the goal, that otherwise might have a point count. Should we have a panel of scientists standing by with lots of camera angles to predict the degree of change in the motion? Think it through

I want laser beams attached to the goal posts, and if the ball passes between the beams, then it's a goal and a set of fireworks then come out of the tip top of the goal posts.

I also want hotspot technology, like cricket, so they can detect whether a finger has touched the ball just before it passes the goal posts. While we're at it, I want a snickometer so the goal posts can detect whether the ball has nicked the post!

Or...leave the game as is. The review umpire to not make guesses, quick 5 seconds review and if unable to find extra info, leave final decision to the goal umpire.

Not really. Does a fingertip that deflects the ball through the goal, that otherwise might have a point count. Should we have a panel of scientists standing by with lots of camera angles to predict the degree of change in the motion? Think it through
We have a panel of people with lots of camera angles atm. Think it through

We're not every other sport on the planet! The great thing about Aussie rules is the fact that we invented a game 160 years ago without any British influence, it's totally unique to Australia. What's really happened is technology exposes some flaws that nobody ever gave a fat rats toss bag about previously. The AFL are insanely obsessed about the pace of the game and it's really TV commitments that interfere with revues such as the Hartung goal. The ball was on Tom Mitchell's boot when the siren sounded, i don't have any issue with that one at all. I would rather see Goal Umpires in white coats again though:).
I just want a game that will stay relevant and last the next 160 years.

I want laser beams attached to the goal posts, and if the ball passes between the beams, then it's a goal and a set of fireworks then come out of the tip top of the goal posts.

I also want hotspot technology, like cricket, so they can detect whether a finger has touched the ball just before it passes the goal posts. While we're at it, I want a snickometer so the goal posts can detect whether the ball has nicked the post!

Or...leave the game as is. The review umpire to not make guesses, quick 5 seconds review and if unable to find extra info, leave final decision to the goal umpire.
All those suggestions would be perfect maybe minus the fireworks

never said that at all.. ball needs to be kicked thru but if it scrapes a finger or shades the post don’t see why that needs to affect the decision.
So if the ball bounces it’s still going to be a mark? If you get any part of your arm on it it’s a handball? Please. Surely you have something better to do with your time than think up this trash!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impossible rule change, will change the game into a wierd, ovular version of Rugby, where you just have to get the ball over the line.

I do sometimes wonder though, why are goal umpires there at all now? Field umpires can call goal or behind if everything gets reviewed anyway. I think we just like the waving flags.

I've also thought it shouldn't be hard to put sensors on the goalposts to detect contact. They do it with tennis nets...

I think what we need is goal line technology not score review technology.

Exactly. It got brought in because of a few howlers by goal umpires, then gets used for saying goals were touched 40 metres out based on atrocious footage???? Typical AFL really the thought was there but the actual reality of the change is horrible but the AFL never ever admit they made a mistake.

Have the score reviews made the game better?

I wouldn't cry if the system was scrapped. It is often inconclusive. We play with an oval ball. The game is imperfect.

ive had the same opinion for a while.
Unless it is a clear punch/tap over the line or hits the post and doesn't go over the line - call it a goal.

Any slight finger touch or grazing of the post is rather inconsequential.
If it hits the post but still bounces behind the goal line, pay it.

Back